Yamaha rx-1050 crossed speaker wires

William C Jarrett

William C Jarrett

Enthusiast
I was adding two back speaker through my svs ultra surround speaker in duet mode. I have all other speakers run from my yamaha to my monolith 7 but I have bi-amped my svs towers so I did not have room to do the back speakers. I made the mistake of not turning off the system and touched the speaker wires from the yamaha to the speaker wires of the monolith 7. Bam everything went out. I reset the monolith and it came back on but the yamaha will not reset and come on at all . I do have a standby light.

Yamaha rx-a1050 is seven years old. Is it worth fixing?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I was adding two back speaker through my svs ultra surround speaker in duet mode. I have all other speakers run from my yamaha to my monolith 7 but I have bi-amped my svs towers so I did not have room to do the back speakers. I made the mistake of not turning off the system and touched the speaker wires from the yamaha to the speaker wires of the monolith 7. Bam everything went out. I reset the monolith and it came back on but the yamaha will not reset and come on at all . I do have a standby light.

It's worth about $250 on the used market, so you can make the call. Passive biamping speaker is a waste of time except in the rarest of cases, now we can add "and money" to the reasons.

Have you tried a hard reset with the Yamaha? I'd leave the unit unplugged for about an hour and attempt one afterwards.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.

Not really. The amp that blew now has shorted power transistors which is why the receiver remains in shutdown. You are very lucky the monolith reset, however you may well have shortened its life span. That was a really severe stress. The Yamaha blowing is what saved the Monolith. If you give an amp an insult like that it generally blows before protection can cut in.

The Yamaha will need the power transistors on that channel replacing and may be the driver transistors and some diodes. That is going to cost more then $250.00, but less than a new receiver. It is your call.

This is another bi-amping horror story. Between passive bi-amping and bridging there has been significant work for the recycling centers. Just don't do it.

Last edited:
William C Jarrett

William C Jarrett

Enthusiast
Not really. The amp that blew now has shorted power transistors which is why the receiver remains in shutdown. You are very lucky the monolith reset, however you may well have shortened its life span. That was a really severe stress. The Yamaha blowing is what saved the Monolith. If you give an amp an insult like that it generally blows before protection can cut in.

The Yamaha will need the power transistors on that channel replacing and may be the driver transistors and some diodes. That is going to cost more then $250.00, but less than a new receiver. It is your call.

This is another bi-amping horror story. Between passive bi-amping and bridging there has been significant work for the recycling centers. Just don't do it.
Thanks while I debate for next few days I ordered a yamaha rx-a4a and it will be here monday from amazon. i will decide by then. I appreciate your comments. Looks like a good receiver.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Thanks while I debate for next few days I ordered a yamaha rx-a4a and it will be here monday from amazon. i will decide by then. I appreciate your comments. Looks like a good receiver.
Well, that was the thousand dollar + mistake!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well sometimes you just need that hard lesson about making connections under power....

William C Jarrett

William C Jarrett

Enthusiast
Well, that was the thousand dollar + mistake!
Well I sold two of my paintings for $5000 a few months back so there you have it. See those little paintings that I am standing next too. They are all gone also. Musical brass instruments. Thanks again you helped make my decision.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis