Yamaha Reciever / Optical Audio / Component Video Questions

M

mspivy

Enthusiast
I may be posting in the wrong area, but I'll let you all be the judge of that......

I have a Yamaha 5790 receiver, a 52' JVC DILA TV, and a "no-brand" DVD player, and an older Sony VCR. The DVD player has the "standard" video outputs, but also has s-video and compenent. I know the right way to go here is to use the component output, but my first question is should it be run straight to the TV or through the receiver? Do I lose any quality by running it through the receiver?

My second question is with respect to the audio. Right now I'm shopping for the speaker set I'll be using for this setup, but I'm wondering what I should do on audio output from the DVD. Do I use the optical audio output from the DVD to the receiver ...or do I run just the "standard" red & white audio outputs from the DVD to the receiver.....or do I need to run the red & white audio outputs only from my VCR to the receiver, and run the optical audio output from the DVD?

Hope that's not totally confusing!

It all seems so clear in my head....but that's not saying a whole lot!

Thanks!!

D

dloweman

Audioholic
With respect to the video aspect, I just run straight to the tv so that you don't have to buy to component video cables, but running it through the receiver shouldn't have any affect on the quality.

For audio, definately want optical from dvd to receiver, as that is the only way to get a digital connection, or with coaxial cable. Yes, you will have to run the red/white cable for your vcr.
Hope this helps

R

rpls5724

Enthusiast
If you run component from the DVD to the Receiver do you have to run component from the receiver to the tv? and if you dont have component input on the tv what do you do?? I have the RX-V1500

S

schnel

Audiophyte
If you run component from the DVD to the Receiver, then you do have to run component from the receiver to the tv. If you don't have component input on the tv, then you can't use component connections anywhere. The receiver will upconvert from composite to s-video to component but won't downconvert.

R

rpls5724

Enthusiast
Thanks for the reply? It answers the question why I didnt see a picture when I tried to run component from the dvd to the tv and s-video from rec. to tv
thanks

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
It all depends on what capabilities the receiver has for upconverting and downconverting between video formats.

- If the tv doesn't have component video inputs, then you will have to use s-video or composite from the receiver to the tv. Any other devices connected to the receiver will have to use the same type of video connection unless the receiver can convert from one type to another.

- If any device is connected to the receiver with component but the receiver is connected to the tv with s-video or composite, then it will only work if the receiver can downconvert component to s-video or composite.

The RX-V1500 is one of Yamaha's more capable models, so I bet it does convert from composite to s-video and probably also from composite or s-video to component. Use the most capable video format the tv can accept and then make sure the receiver can convert from the type used by the other components to the type used by the tv.

R

rpls5724

Enthusiast
Its working fine using s-video fron the rev. to the tv I never really taught about downconverting

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis