Yamaha receiver dead after power outage

R

RichU

Audiophyte
Power outage during a wind storm yesterday, 3/31/23 - my RX-A710 (~11 years old) was on when it happened. Power came on 3 hrs later, but had been very weakly on during the outage - my oven kept the time in very faint lights! Most devices went dark and lost memory.
Then - nothing from my Yamaha - a brick!!! Oh no, don't make me research and buy and install a new one!
Googled, today and found a 2105 thread with same title, from Theo X I think. Solved my issue in a couple minutes! Thanks, thanks, thanks!!!
Hold buttons Power, Info, and Tone Control at the same time for a few seconds, and the display powered up! Still had the radio stations in it and it seems normal at first checks.
Thank you! Thank you! Theo X and his helpers (but a long thread) and audioholics the website!

RichU

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Power outage during a wind storm yesterday, 3/31/23 - my RX-A710 (~11 years old) was on when it happened. Power came on 3 hrs later, but had been very weakly on during the outage - my oven kept the time in very faint lights! Most devices went dark and lost memory.
Then - nothing from my Yamaha - a brick!!! Oh no, don't make me research and buy and install a new one!
Googled, today and found a 2105 thread with same title, from Theo X I think. Solved my issue in a couple minutes! Thanks, thanks, thanks!!!
Hold buttons Power, Info, and Tone Control at the same time for a few seconds, and the display powered up! Still had the radio stations in it and it seems normal at first checks.
Thank you! Thank you! Theo X and his helpers (but a long thread) and audioholics the website!

RichU
You were lucky. I bet there was a surge before the cut, there pretty much always is, because of the back EMF along the lines from the power interruption. That is a phenomenon of cutting AC circuits suddenly.

Think yours self lucky at this point. Now phone your electrician and have him install whole house surge protection at the power entry to your home. This is code now in many jurisdictions. With worsening weather, this is something every home needs. This is especially true now that virtually every appliance in the home is stuffed with chips.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I recently had to replace my old circuit breaker panel. The old panel was maxed out, and I needed to expand. As the electrician installed it, he also put in whole house surge suppression, as now required by code. In the photo below, I drew a yellow rectangle around it, on the upper left side of the panel of black switches.
1680443582103.png

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.

RichU
It may be too late now,. but if this ever happens again, shut off the main breaker to the whole house- if the voltage coming in is low, damage can and usually does occur- everything is designed to operate on 120VAC +/- a bit, but not so low that even LED displays dim.

Follow the advice about a whole-house suppressor- it's not just a good idea because modern electronics don't survive voltage spikes, which can cause a sharp increase or decrease.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis