F

fftfk

Enthusiast
All,

I purchased a Yamaha A-S1100 which produces an audible thump through the speakers (not a relay click) at power on and off. I’m worried the 1100 is not working correctly and am worried about damaging my speakers (B&W 702). The dealer tells me this is normal for Yamaha.

Does anyone else have a similar issue or know if this is a concern or not?

Thanks for any help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
All,

I purchased a Yamaha A-S1100 which produces an audible thump through the speakers (not a relay click) at power on and off. I’m worried the 1100 is not working correctly and am worried about damaging my speakers (B&W 702). The dealer tells me this is normal for Yamaha.

Thanks for any help!

Welcome to AH,

If the thump is not loud to make someone jump for instance, there shouldn't be any risk for your speakers. But I suggest that you contact Yamaha about your concern. They should be pleased to confirm as to whether the situation is normal or not.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
All,

Thanks for any help!

I would think at the level of the A-S1100, it should have been designed to be silent, via relay or something other schemes so may be something did go wrong.

Until you can get this sorted out, try setting the input to one that you have nothing connected before turning the unit on. Wait for a few seconds before setting the input to the one you want to use. Just a quick and easy short term fix..if you are concerned about damaging the speakers.

Also, if you are using an input device that has a power switch such as a turntable, CD player etc., turn it/them on first before turning on the A-S1100, and turn the A-S1100 off first before turning off those input devices.

Last edited:
S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
No thump on my Yamaha RXA2060 Or RXA770 Or RXV681 through my speakers in my 3 rooms.

Maybe it’s related to your subwoofer? Or do you even have a sub?

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
I have an A-S801 and it is completely silent at turn on/off. When I power it up, the unit make a mechanical noise (not over the speakers!) as the relays switch over from "mute" (this is covered in the owner's manual as normal). I do not believe an audible "thump" is normal of Yamaha integrated amps. Can you get your dealer to reproduce the "thump" on another unit to indeed prove it is "normal"? As someone suggested, after you exhaust dealer possibilities, contact Yamaha.

F

fftfk

Enthusiast
Thanks for all of the responses. To answer a question asked - no subwoofer.

The good news is the dealer is taking it back and should be shipping me a new one shortly.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks for all of the responses. To answer a question asked - no subwoofer.

The good news is the dealer is taking it back and should be shipping me a new one shortly.

So what did the dealer say this time around?

F

fftfk

Enthusiast
So what did the dealer say this time around?

It was an online dealer so everything was via email. I got the impression they reached out to Yamaha to check if it was correct or not. My return label is shipping it directly to Yamaha’s repair facility.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Bump. Didnt want to start another thread. Got this Yammy used and wanted to know if
anyone knows which ypoa mic I need for the Yamaha HTR-3063BL? Thanks

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
It was an online dealer so everything was via email. I got the impression they reached out to Yamaha to check if it was correct or not. My return label is shipping it directly to Yamaha’s repair facility.

What is the address for the Yamaha repair facility? Or, more importantly was a name given for the repair center?
Thanks!

F

fftfk

Enthusiast
Tap Electronics in Buena Park, CA

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Bump. Didnt want to start another thread. Got this Yammy used and wanted to know if
anyone knows which ypoa mic I need for the Yamaha HTR-3063BL? Thanks
Well seems like it did not come with a ypoa mic originally. I guess it's set up manually?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis