Yamaha Professional Audio

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
Does anyone have any experience with any of the Yamaha Pro amps? They all look impressive.

For example, the XP Series and the P-S series both use a proprietary 'EEEngine' that supposedly is an improvement over Class AB Class D and Class H designs.

The PX series is Class D.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I have never used Yamaha pro amps, but I wouldn’t hesitate to use them if I had some. :D

What interests me are the Yamaha 8CH Class-D pro amps.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
I have never used Yamaha pro amps, but I wouldn’t hesitate to use them if I had some. :D

What interests me are the Yamaha 8CH Class-D pro amps.
Yes! Me too. It looks interesting. I’ve always liked their Pro products.

I would like to try one of their power amps in a 2-channel configuration and compare it to my Crown XLS Series Class D amp.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
Hopefully PENG and TLS Guy will jump in here and comment on the EEEngine technology.

Gene, you're welcome too.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
Hello highfigh,

Actually I don't need a power amp right now, but I'm always 'window shopping'. :)

I've always been impressed by Yamaha Professional products.

I already have a Crown XLS Series Class D amp. I'm just curious about their EEEngine technology.

I like the looks of their top-of-the-line TXn Series.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yes! Me too. It looks interesting. I’ve always liked their Pro products.

I would like to try one of their power amps in a 2-channel configuration and compare it to my Crown XLS Series Class D amp.
One thing I've noticed because I use externally-powered subwoofers is that the Yamaha PX Class-D pro amps have High-Pass Filter down to 20Hz, whereas the Crown only goes down to 31Hz.

Last edited:
V

viseral audio

Audioholic
question to AcuDefTech do you use a high pass on your subs and why, thanks just trying to soak up some much needed knowledge

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
question to AcuDefTech do you use a high pass on your subs and why, thanks just trying to soak up some much needed knowledge
Yes. The reason for using HPF on subs is to protect the subs by limiting lower frequencies from going to the subs.

So setting the HPF to 20Hz (or higher) with 24dB slope (or higher) is probably a good way to protect your subs (ported subs more important, sealed subs less important).

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
One thing I've noticed because I use externally-powered subwoofers is that the Yamaha XP Class-D pro amps have High-Pass Filter down to 20Hz, whereas the Crown only goes down to 31Hz.
Most live sound applications low pass the whole system at around 40-50Hz because A) it's not a brick wall filter, B) the info below that isn't easy to reproduce in a large space and C) in order to reproduce it well, the drivers and power are very expensive to buy and move. The low E on a bass guitar is tuned to 41.2 HZ if it's at concert pitch, yet what we hear is the first partial at 82.4 Hz, not the fundamental. If a synth is used, sure, you can get whatever frequency you want, but a live venue isn't considered to be a "HiFi" installation. Then, there's the issue of room modes/standing waves- has the space been well-treated to minimize them? Many have not. The school gym I just worked on has pegboard with fiberglass batt insulation above it, which does a good job for a lot of the reflected sound, but the response has some issues, mainly because of limited available subwoofer locations and the fact that the in-ceiling speakers weren't going to be moved, so they interact with the walls, ceiling and floor as they will but the response was still very good to the lower HP crossover region. It sounded very good with a lot of different types of music and pretty natural for voice over the mic.

You're worried about less than an octave with an amp that was never designed to be used in a home stereo anyway, and even though they share a common basic use, they're two different applications.

V

viseral audio

Audioholic
thanks for sharing, really appreciate yours and everybody's knowledge on this forum.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
One thing I've noticed because I use externally-powered subwoofers is that the Yamaha XP Class-D pro amps have High-Pass Filter down to 20Hz, whereas the Crown only goes down to 31Hz.
Actually their Class D amps are the PX series. The XP Series uses their EEEngine technology.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Hello highfigh,

Actually I don't need a power amp right now, but I'm always 'window shopping'. :)

I've always been impressed by Yamaha Professional products.

I already have a Crown XLS Series Class D amp. I'm just curious about their EEEngine technology.
If you're not operating near the amplifier's power limit, most of the amplifier classes are a bit moot, really.

If you want to have some fun with DSP in an amp, look at the Crown CDi series. They have some videos on YouTube that show how to make adjustments and I used the CDi1000 in a school gym- it really does some cool things.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
If you're not operating near the amplifier's power limit, most of the amplifier classes are a bit moot, really.

If you want to have some fun with DSP in an amp, look at the Crown CDi series. They have some videos on YouTube that show how to make adjustments and I used the CDi1000 in a school gym- it really does some cool things.
I'll check it out, thanks.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Most live sound applications low pass the whole system at around 40-50Hz because A) it's not a brick wall filter, B) the info below that isn't easy to reproduce in a large space and C) in order to reproduce it well, the drivers and power are very expensive to buy and move. The low E on a bass guitar is tuned to 41.2 HZ if it's at concert pitch, yet what we hear is the first partial at 82.4 Hz, not the fundamental. If a synth is used, sure, you can get whatever frequency you want, but a live venue isn't considered to be a "HiFi" installation. Then, there's the issue of room modes/standing waves- has the space been well-treated to minimize them? Many have not. The school gym I just worked on has pegboard with fiberglass batt insulation above it, which does a good job for a lot of the reflected sound, but the response has some issues, mainly because of limited available subwoofer locations and the fact that the in-ceiling speakers weren't going to be moved, so they interact with the walls, ceiling and floor as they will but the response was still very good to the lower HP crossover region. It sounded very good with a lot of different types of music and pretty natural for voice over the mic.

You're worried about less than an octave with an amp that was never designed to be used in a home stereo anyway, and even though they share a common basic use, they're two different applications.
Well, I said I "noticed" the HPF of 31 vs 20 Hz, not concerned. :D

Personally, I don't worry about having a HPF of "only" 31Hz either. I only care about sounds that I can hear, not feel. ;)

These filters are not "brick walls", but setting the decibel slope to 36dB will cause a steeper drop-off closer to being a "brick wall" than a slope of 12dB.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I wish all these pro amps have RACK mounts that are OPTIONAL.

How difficult can it be to let the consumers screw or unscrew those side rack mounts?

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I guess the P-S Series has been replaced by the XP Series.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis