Yamaha P2201 Power Amplifier

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Yamaha P2201

ASKING PRICE - $350.00 Free Shipping & Handling (Audioholics Discount)

The Yamaha P2201 was built for commercial use however it is essentially a Yamaha M-2 with a slightly different chassis and the option to utilize more reliable XLR connections. The amplifier was repaired while in possession of the previous owner, however evidence of what caused the failure remains on one of the binding posts signified by a burn mark. The binding posts still twist and secure perfectly. I was told that it was mostly wiring and some resistors that were damaged and replaced in the amplifier. I can tell you it works without a hitch and has plenty of power.

The P2201, P2200, and M-2 are essentially the same amplifiers with different cosmetic differences, such as the P2200 which has VU meters, and the M-2 is a consumer amplifier. The P2201 has a large centrally located toroidal transformer and two 22,000uF 100v reservoir capacitors. Because the P2201 uses an inverted triple darlington output stage (6 transistors to each side) it is capable of driving virtually any load down to 2 Ohms. While the specifications that Yamaha offers for this amplifier indicate the amp is rated for 8 ohms only it is capable of delivering 350 watts RMS per channel with a 4 Ohm load and 200 watts RMS @ 8 Ohms. The amplifier barely gets warm to the touch after several hours of use. This amp is by far the most rugged piece of equipment I've owned and is meant to withstand anything short of putting a piece of copper wire between the positive and negative posts (pretty sure that's what tripped it up and what caused the failure that made it necessary to be repaired).

I rated the condition 5/10 on the Audiogon scale. Please understand that even though I give the amplifier a 5/10 that all things considered the amp is in considerably better physical condition than most other Yamaha commercial amplifiers of this era. I think to say it is in average condition with obvious signs of heavy use is a fair assessment.

Un-boxed the amplifier weighs approximately 45 pounds. Securely packed it will weigh around 50-55 pounds. I package large items very well. I ship FedEX only. Please check my feedback on Audiogon - workpigs. All pictures are actual item, and you will receive it exactly as pictured/described.

<center>
<br /><br />
<br /><br />
<br /><br />
<br /><br />
<br /><br />
<br /><br />
<br /><br />
<br /><br />
<br /><br />
<br /><br />
</center>

Last edited by a moderator:
Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
It is. For some reason, beyond my understanding, the VA rating printed on the back of the amplifier is far off base and I believe it assumes that current draw under only certain conditions. The M-2 has a different VA rating stamped on the back, yet the size of the transformer is the same. I believe this sucker is packing two toroids in one chassis, both around 600-700VA range. With the output stage configured the way it is, on those massive heatsinks, your concerns about driving virtually anything (ESLs, Planars) should never even enter your mind.

It's a freakin monster.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
bump....

It's $325 SHIPPED

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
<<<<<<< sold >>>>>>>>

R

RediKilowatt

Audiophyte
P2201

I have, at this time at least 21 of these amps for sale. Look in the classifieds if you are keen on them. I will remove my ad when they are gone, of course.

I originally bought 24 of them. They were installed for their lifetime in permanent racks, so they are in very good condition. They came from B.C. place, which is a large domed stadium in Vancouver Canada, home of the opening cerimonies of the 2010 Winter Olympics. They were removed prior to the Olympics when oodles of cash were flying around.

I'm keeping 3 for myself. :)

R

RediKilowatt

Audiophyte
An apology-"sorry!"

Please forgive. I'm new to the site, and after my last post I looked about for a classifieds "section". It looks like this is it. I am guessing I should post a new thread in "sell your gear" and just add to that thread when the item(s) are sold.
Special apology to Seth for riding on his post of a classified item. I thought it reasonable to provide the information in a "Seth's is gone, but I have some" kind of way.

Now that I know the ropes here a little better, I will put something up on the board when I have actual pictures, and closer to the formalized process.

I am not a commercial guy. I just had the opportunity to scoop up a stack of these fine amps and jumped on it. Of course I intended to try and sell them, but a one off doesn't really make me a business, does it?

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I'm not gone, but my amp is.:D

You're fine, I won't personally hold it against you.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis