Yamaha Owners’ Thread (AVR, Pre-pro, Amp)

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
He use to hang out in the old dance halls. "Ten cents a dance, that's what they pay me...":D

H

Huey645

Audioholic
I still have no idea what is going on with my 2080. I didn't realize there was a codec you can download to "force" Atmos on an Xbox One, which worked as advertised, although now every thing that is streaming says Atmos/(followed by which ever codec is being streamed). Still don't know why it says Atmos/PCM on some of the stuff, although it does display the lossless formats in correct form.

P

Pasi Vilonen

Audiophyte
According to Grobi.tv podcast with Sparechange on youtube Auro 3D is featured on Yamaha 2 top models'.

S

Sachb

Full Audioholic
There is one thing I found about Yamaha Reciever, you can boost the dialogue volume even if the movie is in pcm i.e 2 channel by using Neo 6 Cinema, it won't do anything if the surr decoder is on Dolby Surround or Neural X.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

E

EBN

Audioholic
According to Grobi.tv podcast with Sparechange on youtube Auro 3D is featured on Yamaha 2 top models'.

C

cgarlock

Junior Audioholic
Has anyone noticed any real effect of the AI button and how it employs the CinemaDSP?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Has anyone noticed any real effect of the AI button and how it employs the CinemaDSP?
I definitely can’t answer this one, but it seems like an “auto” type of function. From what I’ve seen, it’s. Love or hate thing. Googletron might provide a path for information too.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I have AI on my RX-A3080. I tried it once. Hated it like I hate most DSP. :D

C

cgarlock

Junior Audioholic
I have AI on my RX-A3080. I tried it once. Hated it like I hate most DSP. :D
Totally agree! After I had to do the hard reset I noticed it was on so I went with it for a few movies. I hated it and since turning it off the levels seem much more balanced , more lively. To my untrained ears, the only thing it did was boost dialogue which we had no issues with before.

Recommend AI CinemaDSP set to OFF.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
New Yamaha Avantage A8, A6, A4 release this summer 2021?

It appears the $2200 A6A sort of replaces the $2200 RX-A3080 - both have 9.2CH x 150W amps and 11.2CH processing.

The $3,000 A8A is the new flagship with 11.2CH x 150W amps and 11.2CH processing.

The $3,000 A8A:
  • 11.2-channel 150-Watt powerful surround sound with Zone 2/3/4
  • 4K120 and 8K60 HDMI and HDR10+ (with future update) with HDCP 2.3 and eARC (7 in/3 out)
  • Dolby Atmos® with Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization and DTS:X® with CINEMA DSP HD3
  • Dual ESS SABRE ES9026PRO Ultra DACs for the ultimate high-performance conversion
  • YPAO™- R.S.C. with 3D, multipoint measurement, precision EQ and low frequency mode
  • Surround:AI™ technology automatically optimizes the sound and effects in real-time
  • ALLM, VRR, QFT, QMS (with future update) and Dolby Vision™, Hybrid-Log Gamma and BT.2020
  • AURO-3D (with future update)
The $2,200 A6A:
  • 9.2-channel (with 11.2-channel processing) 150-Watt surround sound with Zone 2/3/4
  • 4K120 and 8K60 HDMI and HDR10+ (with future update) with HDCP 2.3 and eARC (7 in/3 out)
  • Dolby Atmos® with Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization and DTS:X® with CINEMA DSP HD3
  • ESS SABRE ES9026PRO Ultra DAC for the ultimate high-performance conversion
  • YPAO™- R.S.C. with 3D, multipoint measurement, precision EQ and low frequency mode
  • Surround:AI™ technology automatically optimizes the sound and effects in real-time
  • ALLM, VRR, QFT, QMS (with future update) and Dolby Vision™, Hybrid-Log Gamma and BT.2020

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
New Yamaha Avantage A8, A6, A4 release this summer 2021?

It appears the $2200 A6A sort of replaces the $2200 RX-A3080 - both have 9.2CH x 150W amps and 11.2CH processing.

The $3,000 A8A is the new flagship with 11.2CH x 150W amps and 11.2CH processing.

The $3,000 A8A:
  • 11.2-channel 150-Watt powerful surround sound with Zone 2/3/4
  • Dual ESS SABRE ES9026PRO Ultra DACs for the ultimate high-performance conversion
The $2,200 A6A:
  • 9.2-channel (with 11.2-channel processing) 150-Watt surround sound with Zone 2/3/4
  • ESS SABRE ES9026PRO Ultra DAC for the ultimate high-performance conversion

I hope the next CX pre/pro uses the Sabre ES9038 Pro Dacs. Same ones used in Oppo 205. Or whatever the top of the Sabre Dac list is at this time. Even if Yamaha charged $3k for it, it would still be one hell of a deal.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I hope the next CX pre/pro uses the Sabre ES9038 Pro Dacs. Same ones used in Oppo 205. Or whatever the top of the Sabre Dac list is at this time. Even if Yamaha charged $3k for it, it would still be one hell of a deal.
Based on history, I doubt it. Probably because nobody will hear a difference among any of these DACs. But you never know. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Had to share this funny story regarding a client of mine and his Yamaha RX-A3080.

So the client said that his Yamaha RX-A3080 turned off and would not power up.

My thought was that he did something to cause the protection mode, so I gave him the instruction to reset the protection mode/No power: Press and Hold the AI + INFO buttons while Pressing the Power button.

It did NOT power up.

So the next step was to call Yamaha customer support at (714) 552-9105 to obtain service.

No problem. Yamaha emailed him the prepaid shipping label. He printed the label out and got everything ready to ship.

Then he pulled out the RX-A3080 from the cabinet and REALIZED that the POWER CORD was NOT ATTACHED to the AVR!

DOH!!! :D :D

So he attached the power cord and, of course, everything worked happily ever after. :D

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Had to share this funny story regarding a client of mine and his Yamaha RX-A3080.

So the client said that his Yamaha RX-A3080 turned off and would not power up.

My thought was that he did something to cause the protection mode, so I gave him the instruction to reset the protection mode/No power: Press and Hold the AI + INFO buttons while Pressing the Power button.

It did NOT power up.

So the next step was to call Yamaha customer support at (714) 552-9105 to obtain service.

No problem. Yamaha emailed him the prepaid shipping label. He printed the label out and got everything ready to ship.

Then he pulled out the RX-A3080 from the cabinet and REALIZED that the POWER CORD was NOT ATTACHED to the AVR!

DOH!!! :D :D

So he attached the power cord and, of course, everything worked happily ever after. :D
As a software developer I sometimes get asked to help with IT related problems, and checking cabling is something that is high on the list of things to check. And yes, more than once over the decades I've had the problem "fixed" by turning on the power.

S

Sachb

Full Audioholic
I'm interested to know the dimensions of the new Aventage A4A which replaces the RX-A1080.
Is it longer than RX-A1080?

My current RX-A1080 is sort of like 20% out of the cabinet, but it's ok, not like it's gonna fall off.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
S

Sachb

Full Audioholic
Good news for Yamaha Fans!!

I know It's too late to be posting this, but Yamaha RX-A1080 is in stock on eBay, NEW units.

Link: Click Here

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis