Yamaha Onscreen Display not showing and no sound anywhere!!! Help

2rabbitts

Audiophyte
Hi, I've purchased a secondhand Yamaha RX-V683 Receiver, I've plugged in all the cables and speakers as similar to my old Marantz SR4600 receiver and according to the new Yamaha manual, but there is no sound at all either from the fm radio or cd player, nor can I get the onscreen display on the TV to show the selection panel on the left, only the background picture shows. My LG TV is a 2010 version. Here's what I've done: I've connected the front 2 yamaha speakers, centre speaker and the subwoofer into all the correct ports. I've connected the LG Blu-ray player into a coaxial port (as only one HDMI for TV), Pioneer CD player and Pioneer tape cassette deck into audio ports and the Yamaha record player into the phono port, the TV is connected by HDMI into the HDMI output jack as per the manual. The paper manual is pretty vague, the online manual much more detailed, has a lot more instructions and with pictures, where I can see what my display isn't doing! I've always set up these receivers with no hassles, but this one is a bit more tricky - I can't let it beat me!!

- thinking my TV is too old and HDMI not compatible to use the onscreen display
- if I can use a newer TV thats compatible, do you think it will fix the sound?
- for sound - thinking of unplugging each of the components back to nothing to only play the receiver tuner or usb etc, and if works, add one component at a time to see which one doesn't work...

nbk13nw

nbk13nw

Full Audioholic
Have you tried resetting the Yammy back to factory defaults?

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Agree with resetting the AVR. The Yamaha is 4k capable and will remember the settings from the previous owner. If it's set to 4k and you have a 1080p TV then you could have issues. If you have access to a 4k TV you could connect just the HDMI cable to access the on screen menu, set the AVR to 1080p and then reconnect to your TV to complete the setup. Normally the AVR has a Monitor Check feature that automatically detects the TV resolution. If Monitor Check (MON.CHK) is not set to Yes but Skip, you can get a mismatch.

The coax connection is audio only. For the blue-ray you'll need to connect the component video connections or get another HDMI cable for the blue-ray. Typically you have to assign the coax connection to one of the channels via the setup menu but HDMI is preferred and the HDMI input connection on the AVR labelled blue-ray will match up with the on screen menu and the remote.

As to the audio, the AVR has a Zone 2 feature. If it was set to Zone 2 and Main is off that would explain no sound. Resetting the AVR should fall back to the Main zone default or try the Zone button on the AVR or remote. Also watch for any frayed wires at the speaker connections that could cause a short circuit. If the AVR detects a short it will switch the speakers off to protect the amps.

I also noticed a firmware update on the Yamaha site. Once you have access to the on screen menu check that the firmware is 2.85 (2020-12-15).

Found the instructions to reset the V681. I imagine the V683 is likely the same:
https://usa.yamaha.com/support/faq/audio_visual/9260.html

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That's the part that stuck out to me, was plugging the bluray player into the coaxial input since the Yamaha "only has one hdmi".....it has one output hdmi, but the 683 has 5 hdmi inputs to use. Use an hdmi input for your bluray player....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis