Yamaha NS-670 - lack of bass

M

Monarch

Audiophyte
Hey folks! I just bought Yamaha NS-670 speakers in very good condition. Here is how they looks like (not my photo, just for understanding):
1708457436519.png

Bass size is 25 cm.
They sound really "neutral" and balanced. Construction is "closed box". The problem is huge lack of bass( I would like to have at least 50% more bass. It's not just tight and accurate - it's really not enough...
I'm considering following ways of solution:
1. Buy NS-690 (they have 30 cm bass)
2. Try to do smth with NS-670 (soften speaker suspension(it's made of cloth and already seems quite soft for me) or made some changes inside cabinet)
3. Buy another speakers

Any thoughts?

P.s. previosly I had Canton CT-1000 (30 cm bass, also closed box) and the bass response was just mindblowing compare to these 670 yammies...
P.s.s. English is not my native language, I'm sorry for grammar

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
Hey folks! I just bought Yamaha NS-670 speakers in very good condition. Here is how they looks like (not my photo, just for understanding):
1708457436519.png

Bass size is 25 cm.
They sound really "neutral" and balanced. Construction is "closed box". The problem is huge lack of bass( I would like to have at least 50% more bass. It's not just tight and accurate - it's really not enough...
I'm considering following ways of solution:
1. Buy NS-690 (they have 30 cm bass)
2. Try to do smth with NS-670 (soften speaker suspension(it's made of cloth and already seems quite soft for me) or made some changes inside cabinet)
3. Buy another speakers

Any thoughts?

P.s. previosly I had Canton CT-1000 (30 cm bass, also closed box) and the bass response was just mindblowing compare to these 670 yammies...
P.s.s. English is not my native language, I'm sorry for grammar
Pretty much all of the Yamaha speakers from that era were not "bass heavy", even though they used large drivers in large cabinets.
Those and NS1000's were very subdued in the bass region.
I had a pair of NS500's for many years, a bass reflex 10 inch 2 way in a large cabinet...no bass to speak of.

Just wasn't the sound signature Yamaha was going for.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Pretty much all of the Yamaha speakers from that era were not "bass heavy", even though they used large drivers in large cabinets.
Those and NS1000's were very subdued in the bass region.
I had a pair of NS500's for many years, a bass reflex 10 inch 2 way in a large cabinet...no bass to speak of.

Just wasn't the sound signature Yamaha was going for.
So you need a couple of subs. I can tell you that all Yamaha speakers have never been ones I would want to listen to, but only under duress!

For a start you can not get much bass out of a sealed speaker without a lot of Eq. The reason is that f3 will always be an octave or more above the resonant frequency of the driver, Fs. Those drivers will not have the excursion to tolerate the eq required. If you muck around with the suspension you will make matters worse and the driver will then be mismatched to the box.

So your solution is subs or different speakers.

M

Monarch

Audiophyte
Ok, if I'll try to use sub/s, how to choose proper one/s(I suppose one is good enough)? How to connect it to power amp? I'm using Yamaha PC-2002 amp

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Ok, if I'll try to use sub/s, how to choose proper one/s(I suppose one is good enough)? How to connect it to power amp? I'm using Yamaha PC-2002 amp
You listed a power amp. You can not connect a sub to that amp. Subs contain their own power amps. So what are you driving the power amp with?

M

Monarch

Audiophyte
It's connected to DAC (Fiio k9 pro ess), DAC connected to pc (Mac).
I have feeling that separate sub with its own amplification will create a mess with speakers in low end...

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

It's connected to DAC (Fiio k9 pro ess), DAC connected to pc (Mac).
I have feeling that separate sub with its own amplification will create a mess with speakers in low end...
It won't create a mess. You will have no bass management, but it will work fine.

You need to buy a sub that has right and left inputs. You will need a couple of RCA Y-leads. Connect to right and left outputs of the DAC, then connect a left output to the left input of the power amp and the other left plug into the left input of the sub and the right to the right amp input and the other to the right sub input.

Set the sub crossover to around 80 Hz for starters, and adjust the sub volume.

That is the only solution you have with your current equipment. The ideal solution is a preamp with bass management. However the solution I have given you will work very well.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
One note, judging a speaker's bass capability by bass driver size may not be what you think it is. The speaker you bought, per it's manual, has a resonant frequency of 45 hz and a range of 50-20,000 hz +/- 3dB. While the bass on those is probably decent for an acoustic suspension speaker of the time, they're not bass monsters nor is a 10"/25cm driver a "sub". I also would add a sub to your system if the speakers otherwise sound good to you.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis