Yamaha MX-D1 Digital Amplifier!

S

sambalis

Audiophyte
Yamaha MX-D1 Digital Amplifier! Any Reviews?

Hi everybody.
I open this topic for your opinions (if any), on this power amplifier!

It's 2X500W 8ohms
2X1000W 4ohms. :confused:

Last edited:
S

sambalis

Audiophyte
No Answer???

sambalis said:
Hi everybody.
I open this topic for your opinions (if any), on this power amplifier!

It's 2X500W 8ohms
2X1000W 4ohms. :confused:

Hi .
Nobody ever heard about or listened to Yamaha Digital MX-D1??? :confused:

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
sambalis said:
Hi .
Nobody ever heard about or listened to Yamaha Digital MX-D1??? :confused:

Probably no one know about it?
But, it looks like it has the power capability. Are these RMS ratings? What is the THD+N ? FR?

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
Truly fantastic piece of amp using Yamaha's own proprietary D-MOSFET technology incorporating Yamaha LSI, even converted a die hard analog only amp lover to this one. Since I own quite a few of Yamaha's older MX series amps, I was a but sceptical on a digital amp from Yamaha but this one convinced me otherwise, if you dont read the specs, you will never know it is class D, it sounds best when combined with Yamaha's matching YPC-1 pre, it is almost like a straight wire, both amp and pre have amazingly low distortion figures, however, the power amp is rated at 500Wx2 and will make the strongest speaker bottom out with ease.

Sadly and typically, Yamaha takes the old approach of not marketing it in US, shame on them for that.

Not much of a review but you can check it out at http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1430206,00.asp

What is truly amazing is that Stereophool mag tested it, never in their entire history have they ever bothered to test a amp from Yamaha and not only did they like it, they gave it thumbs up.

http://stereophile.com/amplificationreviews/405yamaha/

Last edited:
mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Yamahaluver said:
Truly fantastic piece of amp using Yamaha's own proprietary D-MOSFET technology incorporating Yamaha LSI, even converted a die hard analog only amp lover to this one. Since I own quite a few of Yamaha's older MX series amps, I was a but sceptical on a digital amp from Yamaha but this one convinced me otherwise, if you dont read the specs, you will never know it is class D, it sounds best when combined with Yamaha's matching YPC-1 pre, it is almost like a straight wire, both amp and pre have amazingly low distortion figures, however, the power amp is rated at 500Wx2 and will make the strongest speaker bottom out with ease.

Sadly and typically, Yamaha takes the old approach of not marketing it in US, shame on them for that.

Not much of a review but you can check it out at http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1430206,00.asp

What is truly amazing is that Stereophool mag tested it, never in their entire history have they ever bothered to test a amp from Yamaha and not only did they like it, they gave it thumbs up.

http://stereophile.com/amplificationreviews/405yamaha/
From th elooks of it they almost didn't have a choi8ce but to review a revolutionary new amp? ;)

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
mtrycrafts said:
From th elooks of it they almost didn't have a choi8ce but to review a revolutionary new amp? ;)

True, although I am not a big fan of Stereophool, in a way, I am glad that they reviewed it, at least it will raise the curiosity of many and thereby compel Yamaha to launch it in US.

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

They're very late to the "digital amp" party, but better late than never! :)

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
Rob Babcock said:
They're very late to the "digital amp" party, but better late than never! :)

Actually, Yamaha was into class D way before others, first they introduced it in their pro music and audio equipment, then Yamaha subs were the first with the class D amps and finally a true audiophille and unique class D amplifier.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
IMO, $5000 is quite a bit for a 23lb class D amp. What's impressive is it's "pitch-black noise floor." It appears Yamaha has overcome this obstacle with the newer technology.

furrycute

furrycute

Banned
What is the actual retail price of this digital amp? Even the passive preamp lists for $2,000. That's $7,000 for the pre and the amp.

I would love to get that pair, but only if the price comes down substantially.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
furrycute said:
What is the actual retail price of this digital amp? Even the passive preamp lists for $2,000. That's $7,000 for the pre and the amp.

I would love to get that pair, but only if the price comes down substantially.
Description: Solid-state stereo power amplifier with class-D "digital" output stage operating at 352.8kHz. Maximum output power: 500Wpc into 4 and 8 ohms (24dBW, 27dBW, respectively) at 0.1% THD. Frequency response: 1Hz–100kHz, ±3dB; 20Hz–20kHz, ±0.5dB. THD at 10W/1kHz: <0.003%. Input sensitivity: 1.3V. Input impedance: 25k ohms. Damping factor: 200 (equivalent to an output impedance of 0.04 ohms), no frequency specified. Channel separation: 100dB. Dynamic range: 120dB or greater (IHF-A, low-pass filter at 20kHz). Standby power consumption: <0.1W.
Dimensions: 17 1/8 "(439mm) W by 2 7/8" (78mm) H by 17 3/16" (440mm) D. Weight: 23 lbs (10.4kg).
Serial number of unit reviewed: E010173.
Price: $4999.95.

Last edited by a moderator:
mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Buckeyefan 1 said:
Description: Solid-state stereo power amplifier with class-D "digital" output stage operating at 352.8kHz. Maximum output power: 500Wpc into 4 and 8 ohms (24dBW, 27dBW, respectively) at 0.1% THD. Frequency response: 1Hz–100kHz, ±3dB; 20Hz–20kHz, ±0.5dB. THD at 10W/1kHz: <0.003%. Input sensitivity: 1.3V. Input impedance: 25k ohms. Damping factor: 200 (equivalent to an output impedance of 0.04 ohms), no frequency specified. Channel separation: 100dB. Dynamic range: 120dB or greater (IHF-A, low-pass filter at 20kHz). Standby power consumption: <0.1W.
Dimensions: 17 1/8 "(439mm) W by 2 7/8" (78mm) H by 17 3/16" (440mm) D. Weight: 23 lbs (10.4kg).
Serial number of unit reviewed: E010173.
Price: $4999.95.
I am just noticing the standby power, 0.1W, WOW. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Khellandros66

Khellandros66

Banned
One of the few AMPs out there with enough horsepower (suprisingly small stature too) to run the Definitive BP7000sc Power Towers.

~Bob

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
Khellandros66 said:
One of the few AMPs out there with enough horsepower (suprisingly small stature too) to run the Definitive BP7000sc Power Towers.

~Bob
Fully agreed, the Definitive BP 7000 along with VMPS Super Tower are among the few which is able to withstand this beast of an amp, Yamaha were demoing it with JBL Studio towers with huge 15" woofers which the amp was bottoming out with ease.

S

sambalis

Audiophyte
Reply!

I'm very glad to see that many replied to my post!
I am also glad to let you know that I have this amplifier since Dec'04 and drive my B&W Nautilus 802.
I use a greek high-end preamp Tsakiridis Alexander and a Primare DVD30!

I can tell that the power of the amp is almost unlimited!
I let it on almost continously (Yamaha recommends), and the sound is wonderful
Nautilus 802, is a very difficult and "hungry" loudspeaker! but MX-D1 offers power more and more...

Well!
We here in Greece have a AVsite forum and performed many "blind" tests with this amp and many loudspeakers and other "monster-looking" mono-blocks!!

He was uncompetable! :)

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
sambalis said:
I'm very glad to see that many replied to my post!
I am also glad to let you know that I have this amplifier since Dec'04 and drive my B&W Nautilus 802.
I use a greek high-end preamp Tsakiridis Alexander and a Primare DVD30!

I can tell that the power of the amp is almost unlimited!
I let it on almost continously (Yamaha recommends), and the sound is wonderful
Nautilus 802, is a very difficult and "hungry" loudspeaker! but MX-D1 offers power more and more...

Well!
We here in Greece have a AVsite forum and performed many "blind" tests with this amp and many loudspeakers and other "monster-looking" mono-blocks!!

He was uncompetable! :)
I actually remember now that it was a Greek Audio site which had tested Yamaha's MX-1000 amp against many big name amps costing thrice as much and found the Yamaha's sound to be far more accurate and musical.

H

Herr Eickhorn

Audioholic Intern
I actually remember now that it was a Greek Audio site which had tested Yamaha's MX-1000 amp against many big name amps costing thrice as much and found the Yamaha's sound to be far more accurate and musical.
Where can we buy one?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis