Yamaha HTR-6030 problem

tinpanalley

tinpanalley

Audiophyte
For the rather simple needs we have, this thing has served us well for over 16 years. All of a sudden last week the center channel just stopped working. There's not really any budget to replace it right now so I'm really hoping this is something that can be repaired?

Can I get any help with this?

Thanks!

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
For the rather simple needs we have, this thing has served us well for over 16 years. All of a sudden last week the center channel just stopped working. There's not really any budget to replace it right now so I'm really hoping this is something that can be repaired?

Thanks!
There are some simple things you can try to start.
  • Check the wiring from the Yamaha to the speaker. Look for frayed ends that might short out together. Any pets that might damage wiring?
  • If the wiring looks fine, disconnect the wires from the receiver and connect each wire to the ends of a 1.5V battery and listen for a popping sound from the speaker. That will tell you if the speaker is still working. You can also connect the center speaker wire to the left or right channel on the receiver as a test to see if the speaker is ok. (Remove the other speaker wire first.)
  • Connect one of left or right speaker wires to the center channel on the receiver and try some TV or movie content to see if the center amplifier still works. If you get no sound from the speaker, then the center channel on the receiver is defective.
  • If the center channel amp tests as defective, as a last resort you can factory reset the receiver. See Advanced Setup on page 49 of the manual.
    https://it.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/0/327330/HTR-6030_G_en.pdf
  • If the reset does not get the center working, then it will have to go to a qualified technician for service.
  • Optionally you could turn off any surround modes and just run the receiver in stereo (with the center disconnected).

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.

Thanks!
In addition to what Eppie said, you have to consider not only a speaker/wiring issue, but also what is connected to the receiver.

That is an old analog receiver with no digital circuitry. So you must have some very old equipment connected to it, including an old analog TV.

Your system is not really compatible with modern TVs, set top/cable boxes and video players. So I'm curious what you have this unit connected to, now that we are so far from the analog sunset.

In any event, since it does not have any HDMI connectivity, after testing the speakers you can connect one of the left right input sources to the center input and see if you get sound. By elimination you can discern which unit is defective. If the receiver is the cause, I would try at least three hard resets.

This unit is absolutely not worth the cost of technician repair.

Unfortunately since we are past the analog sunset, you will need to replace pretty much your entire system if you want a surround AV system. There is now a forcing of HDMI because of digital rights management. So in addition to a new receiver you will need a new TV and AV sources like players and set top boxes.

If the center channel is not working I would just use it as a stereo receiver.

tinpanalley

tinpanalley

Audiophyte
That is an old analog receiver with no digital circuitry. So you must have some very old equipment connected to it, including an old analog TV.

Your system is not really compatible with modern TVs, set top/cable boxes and video players. So I'm curious what you have this unit connected to, now that we are so far from the analog sunset.

Unfortunately since we are past the analog sunset, you will need to replace pretty much your entire system if you want a surround AV system. There is now a forcing of HDMI because of digital rights management. So in addition to a new receiver you will need a new TV and AV sources like players and set top boxes.
No, not at all. In fact lots of assumptions made about pretty much everything I use. I think perhaps your expectations of what one should use are getting in the way of what one can do with the equipment in question. Absolutely untrue that it's incompatible with modern equipment. Also you don't know what I use but you made the assumption of what my devices are before asking.

Anyway, I've confirmed it's not the speaker, it's the receiver. I just have to do some hardware resets to see if that helps.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Possible it could be repaired although depends what sort of issue it is; boards are likely not available for this (nor worth it). Somewhat depends if you have local repair services willing to work on it or if you'll need to ship it off, etc. I'd start with the hard/factory resets. It is of limited digital use without hdmi tho the coax/optical inputs can definitely still work with a lot of gear.

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
Also you don't know what I use but you made the assumption of what my devices are before asking.
What do you expect when you gave zero information besides that ancient receiver.
TLS Guy is not a mind reader....none of us are, and have no idea what your needs are from your bones bare post.

Here's one for 100 bucks if you want to try another one....fixing it will cost way way more than that.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
No, not at all. In fact lots of assumptions made about pretty much everything I use. I think perhaps your expectations of what one should use are getting in the way of what one can do with the equipment in question. Absolutely untrue that it's incompatible with modern equipment. Also you don't know what I use but you made the assumption of what my devices are before asking.

Anyway, I've confirmed it's not the speaker, it's the receiver. I just have to do some hardware resets to see if that helps.
It is becoming incompatible though. Component and composite outputs are pretty much gone. That just leaves an optical output on the TV, which most have, but not all any longer. So that leaves an output with lossy compression from your TV and some accessories. There is becoming and continuous and increasing forcing of HDMI. Not that I agree with that, but it is happening driven by digital rights management.

If you do end up having to replace that receiver then I would strongly advise to get a unit with HDMI connectivity especially eARC.

That receiver is now well past its expected life span, so it has been on borrowed time for some years already.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
That's exactly what I'm using for audio which I separate from video.
Cost to repair depends on where you are and the services available. Easiest fix would be if just the output transistor is blown on the center channel. That's assuming it has discrete components. Many AVRs use integrated amplifier modules which can be difficult or near impossible to source. Anything else will likely get too labour intensive to be worthwhile when you can get a working unit used for less money. AVRs are difficult to service due to the many layers of circuit boards, making it time consuming to access certain sections.

If funds are short, then isolar8001 may be correct and a used unit is the best option, but then you are still without any warranty and it becomes a gamble on how long the replacement will last. Other option is the accessories4less web site. They sometimes have factory refurbished units at good discounts. You can ask on this forum for recommendations.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Like has been mentioned already, it’s actually cheaper to find a used AVR than repair one. :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis