Yamaha HTR 5890 - Using both A&B (4 Speakers) for R&L

F

FitForever

Audiophyte
I am almost finished setting up my 7.1 HT system. I have learned everything about HT's from Audioholics. Yesterday I ordered a Harmony 659 remote after learning that it works with my computer which I am good at. I have a lot more to learn about HT. Once basic question I have now is running speakers from both the A and B connectors using my Yamaha Receiver. If I use both am I using 2 of the 7 amps or is one sharing the load. I have the 4 speakers (2 M&K 185's and 2 Polks R50's).

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
The A+B speaker outputs are wired in parallel on the vast majority of receivers which means that the L and R amps will be driving both the A and B speakers. If you connect two sets of 8 Ohm speakers, the impedance will be halved to 4 Ohms and is more difficult for the receiver to drive.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The extra two speakers playing the same thing really doesn't buy you anything. When you have two speakers running parallel, it's not just the fact that you have a lower impedance seen by the amp, but the fact that you are drawing much more current due to the fact that you are driving both sets of speakers also. It's generally not a good idea.

F

FitForever

Audiophyte
Thanks for the answers and info. Now my next question is can I use my old Denon amp to drive these extra 2 R and L speakers. I see that I have pre-out's on the back of my Yamaha.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis