C

Cygnus

Senior Audioholic
I'm concsidering getting the 5760S, now.

It has (what the 40 doesnt):
- On Screen Display
- Prescence Speakers
- 95W
- HDTV Compatability
- Dialouge Lift
- 29 DSP Modes (53 Variations)

For $649 (w/o tax) at Futureshop.

But, wow this is alot of money to gather! :(

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
I would suggest that you think about this receiver a little bit more. $650 is a butload of money for most 27 year olds like me, never mind most 15 year olds. If you can wait then this receiver is a great way to go. If not you may want to get the cheaper receiver ASAP, and sell it at a little later date for about 60% of what you paid. You'll be missing out on a lot of bush parties and the like in order to save the dough, and the 5740 will most likely perform amazingly for everything you could possibly use it for right now. On the other hand the 5760 receiver is a much better, more future ready model. I can't tell you whats best for you, but I'd have grabbed the 5740 at age 15.

If you do decide to do the saving up the money for the better receiver thing then also note:

The amount you are talking about spending also opens up a whole new bees nest I'm afraid. Now you'll have to start looking at local specialty shops to examine brands like Denon, Onkyo, and Marantz and pioneers starting with the 1014. Two more features of the 5760, very important ones, are:1. the fact that it has pre-outs. That means in the future you can use seperate amps to boost the power to your speakers if you ever need to. This receiver is very upgradeable, and gets killer reviews.
2.Auto speaker set up will be a big help, and this one comes with the mic.

S

scarecrow

Audioholic Intern
the 1014 is top of the line, better than it are the elite line starting at approz 10000cdn. I find 7.1 to be worth the $ and you can get a pioneer 1014 or rxv 650 for 500-600 sale talk them right down future or 2001 to 500$ you will like the 7.1 better...better yet wait until the new lines come out, it'll be worth the wait. Save for 5 more months if you have to...just my advice.

S

scarecrow

Audioholic Intern
Try best buy too look at the future shop and 2001 audio video site they have sales on this stuff, they had a rxv 650/htr 5760 sale for 500 each a while ago. save and wait until you can get the best one

Last edited:
C

Cygnus

Senior Audioholic
Well, I get $10 each week, and I allready have $101. I'll be getting some cash for my birthday, I think (I hope!). Plus, i'm selling a videocard for $100. I would really like that Pioneer, for $600...maybe i'm too optimistic? :p. I mean, I'd have to save up for about 30 weeks, after I got all this cash! (assuming that I get it, that is.)

2001 A/V wouldnt work for me as of I am nowhere near where that place is. :(

L

Lange

Audiophyte
Well, it looks like the prices are coming down. The 5750 is now $399 and the 5760 is $499 ($150 off) at futureshop. The sale ends April 21. I'm seriously considering taking advantage. I would prefer the black 5760, but that's only $100 off (so $549) and I don't really care that much.

HTR5760 @ Futureshop

S

scarecrow

Audioholic Intern
Cygnus, as you can see there are a lot of sales and soon yamaha will probably produce a 9.1 (the rxz9 is 9,1 but costs 4 grand) the longer you wait the better, 7.1 is awesome, it's better than 6.1 or 5.1 that's why these guys love the yamaha's because they are usually the best quality for the $. I'd say try to get a 7.1 then you can add speakers, amps, etc. Down the road you can buy a 9.1 to replace it. 7.1 is really good and it's only 500 cdn. Believe me it's the wave of the future. If you can try to wait you'll be thankful you did, and it's a lot of money so why not get your parents to help, they will really like it too. Just my opinion, but after hearing 7.1 I will never go back to 5.1 or 6.1, but there's nothing wrong with them and there's no pioneer better than the 1014, not the 914, 814, 514. The elite line from pioneer is better the elite 52txi and up.

M

MarkOcena

Audioholic Intern
7.1 vs 5.1

Remember the more expensive Yamahas and Pioneer will give you Pro-Logic IIx version of 7.1 based on stereo sources, and it might give the 2 rear center channels signal from 5.1 sources. It is not seven distinct channels recorded on a disc; it seems like there are few 6.1 DVDs around and no sign of 7.1 Dolby Digital or DTS. The 7.1 feature is great for wider HT rooms that need a more spacious surround field that a 5.1 speaker system cannot manage. It's not like you're losing signal if you only have 5.1 like most people.

A cool thing about the Yamahas are the presence channel feature that can add some more depth to the sound coming from the front speakers, but some people find it annoying. Remember you have 30 days to return a receiver that you don't like at either Future shop or best buy. They should also match prices (maybe even beat by 10% of diff) of each other.

As for some of the other features between HTR-5740 and -5760:
- On Screen Display
makes setup a little easier if you don't use auto calibration

- 95W
the difference in power may be noticable only when listing to stereo sources at near max volumes

- HDTV Compatability
this refers to video switching, which you may or may not need depending on the # of inputs on your TV

- Dialouge Lift
never heard this in action, might make a difference if you want to watch a movie at night when your parents are sleeping; otherwise just crank up the volume!

- 29 DSP Modes (53 Variations)
how many are you actually going to use? really!

The HTR-5760 might have Zone 2 output for another room (could be useful later when your parents are gone for a weekend and you have a house party with music pumping through the whole house...) and more digital inputs, which are always good. If you have Satellite/Dig. Cable, DVD, PS2, XBox that's four right there (not counting future components).

So all in all, if you just want a basic system IMO just go with the basic receiver. Later you can get a more expensive and complex receiver or separates, then link it to the basic receiver for a sweet 2-room (or more)system! Good luck with your decision!

C

Cygnus

Senior Audioholic
Hmm..that 60 is on sale though! When it's not on sale it'll be $650! :(

I might just leave this whole thing alone until I have enough cash to get a good receiver...

C

Cygnus

Senior Audioholic
Allthough, I have been thinking...

We are moving out to the country and building a new house...

With a 7.1 receiver, can you also have 6.1? Because I dont know if i will be able to put two speakers on the side, and two other behind those, and three others up front...

It might just be good for me (allthough I don't know how my room would be set up and all.) to go with either 6.1 or 5.1.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Start out with 2.0 on a 7.1 receiver. If you feel you want more, upgrade later. ;)

A 7.1 receiver will run 2.0, 2.1, 5.1, 6.1, & 7.1.

Last edited:
C

Cygnus

Senior Audioholic
How do you run 6.1? I didnt think there are Surround Back terminals on a 7.1 receiver, are there?

Last edited:
Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
On my RX-V1400, you connect the 6th channel to the left surround back. This will give you 6.1. :)

You can connect both surround back and presence speakers (front) to my receiver, but they do not output sound simultaneously.

The surround back speakers output the surround back channel in Dolby Digital EX and DTS ES software and only operate when the Dolby Digital EX or DTS ES decoder is turned on.

The presence speakers (front) output ambient effects created by the DSP sound fields. They do not output sound when other sound fields are selected.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis