Yamaha DVD-S2500 Info

A

Aliixer

Audioholic
Sounds like a software glitch of some sort. Try calling Yamaha right now. They will try to help you out. If you get sent to voicemail just hang up and call again. Tell me what they say. I love Yamaha products. and if your in southern cali I would be happy to demo my system for ya. glitch free I promise.

Buckle-meister

Audioholic Field Marshall
Aliixer said:
Sounds like a software glitch of some sort. Try calling Yamaha right now. They will try to help you out. If you get sent to voicemail just hang up and call again. Tell me what they say. I love Yamaha products. and if your in southern cali I would be happy to demo my system for ya. glitch free I promise.
Neighbour, thank you. I live in the UK though, and now is the time for sleep. I'll try them tomorrow for sure.

As for that demo; what for? I'll bet any money your Z9 sounds just like mine!

Goodnight. :)

Zzzz Zzzz

Buckle-meister

Aliixer said:
Tell me what they say.
Well Aliixer, circumstances may have changed somewhat since last we communed.

I phoned Yamaha UK today and described my problem to the gentleman. "Leave it with me and I'll try and get back to you today" he said. As of the close of work, he had not. However, I expect he will call me tomorrow so not to worry.

I also phoned the shop where I got my Hi-Fi and let them know what was going on, and arranged to take the S2500 back in if, after trying it tonight, it still acted-up.

It did.

I took the S2500 back to the shop and they immediately loaned me their own demo S2500 (good service) until such time as I had my own investigated/fixed. Excited, I returned home only to find...

It still didn't work. Aghhhhhh!!!

Thinking suspiciously by now that perhaps there was nothing wrong with the S2500 after all, and that it was something up with my Z9, I investigated further and guess what I found?

If I use the Input Selector to switch from CD input to Tuner then back to CD without touching the S2500 whilst it is playing incorrectly...the music corrects itself!!! I've told the shop assistant and he considered it more likely that the fault was with the Z9 since it seems to be "re-clocking" when switching the input back and forth (so he said).

What's your (or anybodys) thoughts? Is it now more likely that the amp is at fault?

sad, sad regards.

Nooooo!!!! Not my beautifull amp!!!!

A

Aliixer

Audioholic
Just a thought. First try a alternate amp if you have one. and if not use a different input for the dvd just for comparison. I am sure you have other sources connected. do they behave the same? If the problem persists using a seperate input, then you should try doing a system reset on the Z9. Its not too difficult. I have done a system reset do to bad programing. hope this helps.

Buckle-meister

Aliixer said:
Just a thought. First try a alternate amp if you have one. and if not use a different input for the dvd just for comparison. I am sure you have other sources connected. do they behave the same? If the problem persists using a seperate input, then you should try doing a system reset on the Z9. Its not too difficult. I have done a system reset do to bad programing. hope this helps.
Unfortunately, my old Musical Fidelity amps cannot accept a coaxial digital. I have tried using the DVD input rather than the CD input's jacks, but the problem still occurs. I should perhaps expect this since although the Z9 has seporate DACs, they are for each channel, not for each input. When I use Direct PCM for either the DVD or CD input, I will be using the same DACs inside the Z9 (I think that's right).

As for the system reset, I do actually have a copy of the procedure from a link somewhere on this site (I think). Unfortunately it is for the RX-Z9 receiver, the American equivalent to the DSP-Z9 amplifier for the UK. At a certain point in the procedure, the user needs to push the Preset/Tuning button on the front panel. But of course, I do not have this button, so I can't complete the procedure.

Do you know where I can get the procedure for UK models? Understandably, Yamaha do not have it on their (UK) website.

Regards

A

Aliixer

Audioholic
I would then wait for the s400 cable and use that. You don't have to rely on the coaxial out. Once you have the firewire you won't want to go back.

A

Aliixer

Audioholic
Pure direct.

One of the ways I have my dvd connected is with basic analog cables and input then to the Z9 under pure direct. I enjoy this when I listen to music late at night. I turn the display off on the denon and the yamaha display automatically turns off. That way the lights are off and I have no distractions from the music. Try it.....

Buckle-meister

Aliixer said:
I would then wait for the s400 cable and use that. You don't have to rely on the coaxial out. Once you have the firewire you won't want to go back.
The chances are that you're right; it arrives on Monday. But I need to get to the bottom of this issue; if I don't, it'll slowly eat away at me.

Aliixer said:
One of the ways I have my dvd connected is with basic analog cables and input then to the Z9 under pure direct. I enjoy this when I listen to music late at night. I turn the display off on the denon and the yamaha display automatically turns off. That way the lights are off and I have no distractions from the music. Try it.....
It's amazing just how like-minded we seem to be! From what you have written in previous posts too! I also have used the Pure Direct function, although personally I prefer the digital options available to me.

Todays S2500/Z9 episode raised even more questions than it answered. The shop loaned me an optical digital cable and another coaxial digital cable in order to try and determine whether I may simply have a cable problem. Having the cables also allowed me to try the Optical Input jack, the theory being that if the problem ocurred with more than one type of input, it couldn't be (a) a cable issue, or (b) a problem with the Input jacks themelves, i.e. it had to be a hardware problem.

The problem did persist, so at least we have ruled-out two potential causes. I have also tried analogue cables and there never seems to be any problem, leading me to think that the problem almost certainly lies in the digital domain of either the S2500 or Z9 (goodness knows which).

I have also tried all three connection types (analogue, coaxial digital and optical digital) with my old Sony (budget) DVD player hooked up to the Z9 and it simply never fails; not once! On the one hand, this convinces me that the problem lies with the S2500, yet because both S2500 DVD players that I have now tried give the same problem, I'm inclined to believe it's the Z9 at fault.

I am totally stumped by this, as is the Yamaha technician the shop has been liasing with. I've to take the Z9 into the shop on Monday.

By the way, if I am starting to sound like a whine, or simply boring you, please just tell me to quit whilst I'm behind. I'll not be offended.

Regards

EDIT: I have been furiously thinking, and may have an answer (he says modestly! :rolleyes: ). What if there is nothing 'wrong' with either the Z9 or S2500? This may seem a strange thing to say, but consider:

1. When the S2500 plays CDs ok, it always plays them ok.

2. The Z9 never seems to have a problem with other DVD/CD players CD signals.

3. When the Z9's input is switched off, then back onto CD, a CD that was playing incorrectly plays perfectly.

It's as if the problem is of a 'triggering' sort. It makes absolutely perfect sense if other players 'trigger' the Z9 to recieve PCM at the correct bandwidth, but the S2500 for some reason isn't. It's correctly sending the signal, but just hasn't 'triggered' the Z9 in the same way other players do. When the Z9's input is switched back, then forward to 'reconsider' what signal is being input, it then locks onto the S2500's signal, in a sense, because it has been manually compelled to do so.

To me, this is perfectly logical. Do others agree?

A test I am planning should resolve this: If I take the optical (say) from the S2500 to the Z9, and the coaxial (say) from the S2500 to another amp, then wire the Left speaker (say) from one amp and the Right speaker (say) from the Z9, then a clear camparison can be made when the Z9 is outputting an incorrect signal to the Right speaker.

Will the Left speaker sound the same? ;)

Last edited:

Buckle-meister

Aliixer, you mentioned that you use an i-link cable. Might I enquire by whom? I am trying to investigate various manufactures of it, but am having difficulty finding them.

Regards

A

Aliixer

Audioholic
I-link

I am using the one that came with my denon 3910 player. Its nothing fancy and works flawlessly. The quality does not matter for it just sends 1's and 0's. But if you can get one from belkin, they have the ferrit cores that protect it from any interference. heres the link. This is a more expensive option, yet is said to offer more protection against interference.

http://catalog.belkin.com/PureAV_detail.process?Product_Id=200182#

The one pictured here is a standard cable from radio shack or any sony store, which should be no more than 10.00 dollars US.

Attachments

Buckle-meister

Buckle-meister said:
If I take the optical (say) from the S2500 to the Z9, and the coaxial (say) from the S2500 to another amp, then wire the Left speaker (say) from one amp and the Right speaker (say) from the Z9, then a clear camparison can be made when the Z9 is outputting an incorrect signal to the Right speaker.

Will the Left speaker sound the same? ;)
For anybody interested, my theory is correct so far; The S2500 is outputting a perfect signal, and so was never actually the problem :). I ran the above test, and sure enough, the alternative amp/speaker sounded fine, even though the Z9/speaker was simultaneously giving an incorrect sound :(.

Yamaha UK are very perplexed by this, as they cannot seem to duplicate the error. Alas, my amp is now winging its way to Yamaha for them to take a look at :(.

p.s. If your username begins with M and ends with 7; yeah, I know! :D

Last edited:

Buckle-meister

Well, I finally got my Z9 back from Yamaha. I had to wait a touch longer than I had hoped, but all in all, I can't really complain about it.

The problem appears to have been something to do with the Z9 getting confused as to the rate of digital signal it was recieving from the S2500. Yamaha still isn't sure where exactly the problem lies, but they found that by replacing a couple of the DSP boards, the problem went away. This was confirmed by putting my boards into another Z9; the problem had moved there.

I have a further question for anybody out there with both the Z9 and S2500. I have hooked the two of them up, and can recieve music/film via i-link. However, although the i-link symbol lights up on the Z9, and both machines confirm via their respective menus that they are aware of each other, for some strange reason, the i-link indicator on the front panel of the S2500 does not light up.

Does anybody know why this might be?

Regards

M

Mobius

Junior Audioholic
Seems like the S2500 has been out for a little while now. I still have not seen much talk about this player on forums or magazines. Still no test on Secrets and the little I have heard about the player makes it seem like a step backwards from the S2300 line. Did Yamaha totally drop the ball on this one?

Those of you that have this player what are your thoughts?

M

Mobius

Junior Audioholic
Thanks BTex!

From reading some of the things about the S2500 it certainly seems a firmware update is needed. I have had my S2300 for quite a long time now and I like it a lot. When the S2500 was announced I was very eager to see if Yamaha could improve upon the S2300 and it looks like feature wise they succeeded but funtion wise they failed thus far. I wish they would have stuck with the built like a tank design the S2300 line had as well.

T

themadreefer

Audiophyte
i have had my s2500 for about two weeks now, and when it does decide to play a dvd-a or dvd-v or sacd or cd or dvd+r it is a very impressive player(both video and especially audio).
i am very disappointed with this yamaha product after speaking with my local yamaha dealer. he spoke with his/her yamaha rep. and they said it was my media i was using and not the players fault.
btw, the i-link connection is a pretty cool feature.
well anyway i will be taking back to dealer to try another unit.

lifamily

lifamily

Enthusiast
Brought my S2500 back to the dlr last week for repair. The unit just stops in the middle of playing a compact disc, as though you hit the stop button. The audio kicks in after a track has already begun playing. And sometimes the drawer will not stay open to load or remove a disc. As soon as the drawer reaches its travel it will return to the closed position. After my own experiences and reading others in this thread, I truly believe there was a problem with these players right from the drawing board, that's why it took so long to come out on the market. The slow loading I can deal with, but the rest is inexcusable. Yamaha really didn't do their homework on this model. I have been a long time Yamaha follower, with the DSP-A1, TX-950, KX-800U and the RXZ9, but this player definitely leaves me with some doubts for consideration of future purchases. My 189.00 Samsung HD-841 in all honesty works better than the Yamaha..

Sent them an e-mail, let's see what happens..

Last edited:
Snap

Snap

Audioholic
Most Problems

I think that we as consumers think that if we spend a boat load of money the eqp should work perfect all the time. But the facts say otherwise. Even the good stuff breaks some times. It is like we expect the stuff that we pay 100 bucks for to break and the stuff that we pay a boat load for to be perfect all the time. The facts are some times you just get a unit that is broke. Some times you do get a man. defect. Or some times it is a design flaw. But most of the time in life you get what you pay for.

My Denon 2910 has been in for repairs for 4 weeks now. It has been gone so long that I bought another DVD player to use in its place. No big deal as I was needing another DVD player for the house any ways so the 240 bucks on the panny was not spent in waste.

Just keep in mind fellas that even the best products have to go repairs every now and then. Heck my wifes BMW X3 2004 model has been in the shop more than my 2003 chev avalanche. BUt that does not mean that the BMW is a piece of crap and I would never own another. It just means that mine has troubles.

Just my thoughts on gear breaking down.

T

themadreefer

Audiophyte
yes my unit will also "stop" while playing audio dvd or audio cd, has not happen
with video dvd though.

T

themadreefer

Audiophyte
my s-2500 displaying "no disc" was getting very old for me.
read in the manual to try a dvd cleaner.
to my amazement, unit has been working flawlessly since cleaning the player
the other day.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis