Yamaha DSP: reply to Bruce

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
<font color='#0000FF'>Yamaha's DSP chips are used in their high end synths which are then modified for their HT receivers. As such there is anything in the market which comes to the reality offered by these chips. There may be others in the market offering DSP but none which comes close to them. True, they may not offer all the whiz bang but that is a matter of personal taste.

Products like Disklavier and Clarivaya use these very same chips and these products are a rage in the music world. In the end, to each his/her own but do balance these perspectives and yes, maybe Yamaha is not bothered to come fully into the pro logic recording realm but their consoles are sure hit in quite &nbsp;a few parts of the world. I am not stopping anyone from buying their preference but let the ears decide, not the reviewers.

Had to get it out.</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
E

Eric

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>I’ve been watching the 'other' thread for awhile now and I’m curious. Please don't take this the wrong way (I'm just wondering).

Do you work for Yamaha? I ask because I’ve never encountered a person as &quot;brand loyal&quot; as you.</font>

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
<font color='#0000FF'>Hi Eric,

Wish I did work for Yamaha, I am loyal and defensive because I have tried everything else out there before I turned to Yamaha. Having said that, I also have Accuphase CD player and Canton Ergo 120 speakers alongwith SONY TC-730 ES tape deck and Technics SL-1200Mk-II turntable and happen to like and adore Marantz products.
</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>Clearly, Lexicon is the leader in the DVD mastering studios.

That simply speaks volumes all by itself.

I don't personally need to pitch a product, I simply look to the reality in the marketplace (in fact I don't own any Lexicon).</font>

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
<font color='#000000'>Bruce;

Just because a particular brand excels in one application (namely Studio) doesn't necessarily follow it will in another application (namely Consumer Audio). &nbsp;Many years ago I was enamoured with Lexicon products and had the opportunity to face off their flagship processor at the time with the Yamaha DSP A1. &nbsp;I actually preferred the DSP A1 and thus my advent towards high performance home theater started there. &nbsp;I am not discrediting Lexicon in any way, and I am sure their products today are top notch, &nbsp;however my personal preferences based on operational, budget and performance leaned towards the more economical Yamaha piece. &nbsp;To each is own I suppose. &nbsp;

</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>Gene,
<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">however my personal preferences based on operational, budget and performance leaned towards the more economical Yamaha piece. &nbsp; </td></tr></table>

I understand this statement, with the focus on economical, but IMO mid-fi and state of the art today by Lexicon (in both studio and consumer gear) are ahead of Yamaha, granted typically at a higher price.

I think a Lexicon MC-1 (or DC-2) used is the best bang-for-your-buck today, and hope to be able to review one soon.</font>

Khellandros66

Khellandros66

Banned
<font color='#000000'>guys and girls~

Now everyone, no matter which color crayon you get, it is special to you.

:)~

Bob</font>

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
<font color='#0000FF'>Rightly said Bob,

The Economical part is due to superior manufacturing methods and nothing to do with quality. Just because a manufacturer can?t get parts cheap and prices it high doesn't reflect quality, just poor management and manufacturing process.

Yamaha gives very high quality Elna and Nichicon caps in their components, the same setup elsewhere would cost you way more and be labeled hi-fi and exotic. I guess Yamaha should raise their price if this is the yardstick one has to judge audio.

What you describe as mid-fi is hi-fi to me and few others in this forum. What you describe as Hi-Fi is just expensive gimmick to me as I have auditioned it extensively. To each is own and learn to live with it, instead of criticizing it.</font>

Khellandros66

Khellandros66

Banned
<font color='#000000'>Guys and Gals~

I actually have heard many systems, and alot of them at HE2002. &nbsp;Of all the ones I heard the best were the Denon/Mission booth, McIntosh/Martin Logan, Yamaha/Polk, and the Krell.

Krell though is the Superior to all. And someday when I have the money I will use a Krell/Yamaha/Definitive set-up

;)~
Bob</font>

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
<font color='#000000'>Bob;

I am not sure that I agree with you that Krell is superior to all. &nbsp;Their last pre/pro was a joke IMO. &nbsp;It had a less sophisticated processing section than most midfi receivers, yet it sold for over $4K and was wrapped in a very pretty box. &nbsp;Take a look at this review which buttresses my argument.

Krell Home Theater Standard II

I actually feel this review is too kind. &nbsp;I had a chance to demo the unit myself last year and it had so many limitations that I decided to not request a sample to review here. &nbsp; Hopefully their latest processor is a marked improvement as it shouldn't take much to make it even marginally better given the poor performance of the Standard II.

</font>

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
<font color='#0000FF'>In the nineties when I was fresh out of college and had a good job and good amount of cash and credit in the bank, I decided to go the snob route and buy myself a Krell KSA-150 amplifier with a Martin Logan Quest speaker. Needless to say it was out of my house in under six months.

Maybe it is state of the art to others but I for one found the combination not up tp my taste.</font>

Khellandros66

Khellandros66

Banned
<font color='#000000'>Gene~

Please keep in ming that this was over a year ago, and not with any familiar demo material.  After doing careful reasearch I would go either with the Yamaha RX-Z1 or Denon 5803.

If my RX-V1300 is still in comission though, I would probably add an ATI AT1805 or 1807 pending on the speakers (Definitive) or room.

:0~

Bob</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis