Yamaha cxa 5100 vs Anthem avm 70

Audiophyte
Looking at switching from the Yamaha cxa 5100 to the Anthem avm 70. Thoughts?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Just curious why you're wanting to do that. What isn't the Yamaha doing (or is doing wrong)?

Audiophyte
The Yamaha is working fine. I’m just considering switching to the Anthem. Looking for something that is a bit more musical I guess. I haven’t heard anything about the new Anthem piece so just wanting some input.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I doubt very much that you would be able to detect any differences in blind listening tests between the Yamaha and Anthem. Its a common myth in the world of audiophiles that different amps have their own signature sound. You would be throwing out your money persuing this route. Speaker upgrades is where I would start if I weren't happy with the sound.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
The Yamaha is working fine. I’m just considering switching to the Anthem. Looking for something that is a bit more musical I guess. I haven’t heard anything about the new Anthem piece so just wanting some input.
You might have come to the right, or wrong forum depending on whether you tend to believe more on the subjective based audio myths or objective based specs, facts and figures supported by bench measurements.

The fact is, the more expensive AVM70 may have features you need that is not available on the CX-A5100 and it may have a little lower distortions than the CX-A5100 has distortions and noise level well below what may be considered audibility threshold, so there is no reason to believe it would be any less "musical". However, Anthem's REQ likely do work better than Yamaha's YPAO though if you are willing to spend time to tweak with the PEQ for the Yamaha, you may get very good results too, according to Gene and other users.

THD+N is not the only criteria obviously, for more test results take a look of the following (the CX-A measured better than the CX-A5200, some of the results are included in the review of the CX-A5200):

Anthem AVM 70 Preamplifier-Processor Review - HomeTheaterHifi.com
Yamaha CX-A5200 & MX-A5200 Measurements & Conclusion | Audioholics

CX-A5100:
Brown: Unbal - 90dB @ 1kHz
Red: Bal -95dB @ 1kHz

1632312789507.png

Audiophyte
I doubt very much that you would be able to detect any differences in blind listening tests between the Yamaha and Anthem. Its a common myth in the world of audiophiles that different amps have their own signature sound. You would be throwing out your money persuing this route. Speaker upgrades is where I would start if I weren't happy with the sound.

Audiophyte
I currently have the Martin Logan XT60 for the two front speakers and have the complete set of ML’s for the rest of my HT.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
My components are both Yamaha. CXA5100 and the MXA5000.
The Yamaha pair is not the bottleneck then, unless you listen loud and sit far. You may get more musical sound by working on the bass response than by changing the prepro.

Audiophyte
Well as it turns out I purchased the AVM 70. I've got it all set up and ya, ARC is SO much better than YPAO. the separation of Atmos is much much better, I'll have to rewatch all my fav movies as for music I haven't had a chance to listen.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Well as it turns out I purchased the AVM 70. I've got it all set up and ya, ARC is SO much better than YPAO. the separation of Atmos is much much better, I'll have to rewatch all my fav movies as for music I haven't had a chance to listen.
Congrats, that's a very nice AVP, may be the best deal at the moment! By the way, I suspect most people would prefer AARC to YPAO, Audyssey, and even Dirac Live because apparently it's default target curve would not remove (at least not all of it...) bass due to room gain. Most small to medium size room would likely have lots of room gains, and I think most people prefer more bass than "neutral/accurate" bass, so lots of people would think Audyssey, Dirac Live etc., made their bass disappear.:)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis