Yamaha avrec fans: I need your input!

J

jsantos615

Junior Audioholic
I'm a noob here, so sorry about long or no-brainer post...

:)

I first got into Yamaha gear when I purchased my then state-of-the-art Flagship DSP-A3090 about 10 years ago. That unit ended-up damaged beyond repair, so I went shopping and due to my obsessive compulsive nature, ended-up with 3(!) Yammies:

• an RX-V1500 for $250
  • an RX-V2500 for $425
  • an RX-V2600 for $850
*I snagged these at The Great Indoors on clearance. The store is an authorized Yamaha dealer, so each of these units carries a two warranty from just before Christmas.

For those of you who have had a chance to live with two or all three of these units, which is the best bang for the buck deal? I've been listening to the RX-V1500 and it has impressive features for the $250 that I've paid and sound quality almost as good as the DSP-A3090 for which I originally paid $3300. I've read many takes on all of these units in these forums, but they were mainly covering Yammy vs. onkyo/denon/elite, etc...

I could certainly live with the RX-V1500, but now I'm thinking that I want to keep two of the three units. I've got a 720p Toshiba 42" DLP with HDMI inputs on order for video and vintage Boston Acoustics speakers in a newly configured 7.1 setup, plus BAs for my presence speakers and a Sunfire Truesub Jr and eventually want to run a Mac mini to access my music library.

Is the 2600 worth the $425 Leap over the 2500? I know it has Burr Brown DACs and HDMI switching/scaling as an upgrade from the 2500, and this is my first time seriously considering video as much as audio in my component purchase. If HDTV wasn't as big a factor, I'd stick with the 1500 and run component video switching and call it a day, but the 2500 and 2600 are still sitting in their boxes, with the return period in effect. I can hear the receivers' muffled cries from inside the cardboard everyday, saying "toss the 1500 on eBay and keep us!"

Thanks in advance for your input!

farscaper

farscaper

Audioholic
All three units are good machines.
I would go for the 2500. But I'm biased.
I'm wouldn't worry about the 2600 video processing till HDMI 1.3 becomes available, but that's just me. I send video directly to the TV.

J

jsantos615

Junior Audioholic
Good point! I reading an aweful lot about HDCP handshake issues when passing HDMI signals, which would have me leaning on component video.

Does the RX-V2500 do upconversion to component video and pass 720p?

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Video format conversion.

jsantos615 said:
Good point! I reading an aweful lot about HDCP handshake issues when passing HDMI signals, which would have me leaning on component video.

Does the RX-V2500 do upconversion to component video and pass 720p?
Yes the RX-V2500 and 1500 are both capable of that.

J

jsantos615

Junior Audioholic
jcPanny said:
Yes the RX-V2500 and 1500 are both capable of that.
Thanks!

I think I'll keep the 1500 and 2500 and let someone else enjoy the 2600.

-joe

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis