Yamaha AVR VS Integrated Options

D

Dapness

Audiophyte
Current setup is 2 technics 1200s, an Allen and Heath DJ mixer, Yamaha RX-V863 AVR, KRK ST8 monitors, low end 10” Polk Sub.

I’m wondering, since I just listen to vinyl, would I really hear a difference if I got something like a Yamaha A-S701 or an Arcam SA20 integrated amp. I’d like to think that since the RX-863 is a good low end AVR pushing 105 watts per channel, it would fair pretty well in comparison to the integrated, or am I way off here. Do most integrated amps really sound surprisingly better than AVRs?

To note, the turntables are plugged into the mixer, which is good quality, and has an all analog pathway. I would not be plugging a turntable into the phone input of the amp.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Current setup is 2 technics 1200s, an Allen and Heath DJ mixer, Yamaha RX-V863 AVR, KRK ST8 monitors, low end 10” Polk Sub.

I’m wondering, since I just listen to vinyl, would I really hear a difference if I got something like a Yamaha A-S701 or an Arcam SA20 integrated amp. I’d like to think that since the RX-863 is a good low end AVR pushing 105 watts per channel, it would fair pretty well in comparison to the integrated, or am I way off here. Do most integrated amps really sound surprisingly better than AVRs?

To note, the turntables are plugged into the mixer, which is good quality, and has an all analog pathway. I would not be plugging a turntable into the phone input of the amp.
No, and often worse.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja

You'd likely get the most notable audible upgrade by switching to CD, or streaming.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord

Likely not audible difference, though a good integrated amp may be noticeably quieter, all else being equal.
If you can find a A-S700, go for it because it is of higher quality in terms of transparency than the A-S701. The 701 and 801 are sort of an AVR such as yours, without the power amps. To me, their are fake integrated amps, though for audibly sound quality it most likely wouldn't matter much.

yamaha-a-s700-australian_hifi_03_10.pdf (excelia-hifi.cz)

Regardless, it is a myth that integrated amps "sound better", that's mostly hearsay, no truth in it. There are of course integrated amps that have excellent specs and have bench measurements to support their superiority, but usually that's not most forum talks are about. So, as others alluded to, it would be a pointless waste of time exercise, though if you can find a good used A-S700, grab it and keep it forever, or sell it to me.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If you want to improve things, change speakers and sub....your electronics sound sufficient.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis