Yamaha A6A vs A8A total speaker capability?

R

Rambo

Audiophyte
I'm considering the Auro 3D format for my HT. The A6A has 9.2 and A8A has 11.2. My question is which if either will allow me to add the center height (VOG) channel or Center Height?

Using either of the above AVRs, my setup will be 7 pre-out amplified channels controlling (3 main/2 front heights/2 rears); 4 surrounds driven my AVR internal amps (2 side surrounds/2 rear heights) and 2 subs.

I've read that I can use one of the sub outputs to drive the VOG/CH channel, but that will take away one of my subs (a mini dsp is an option but I've heard it causes popping in speakers).

Looking for options and advice from someone who has similar setup and/or experience with these AVRs?

Pic below without the FWL/FWR.

Attachments

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Don't know anything about Auro myself, have never even run into any use/content for it myself at least, but doubt the sub pre-out is suitable for anything but a sub (but you could easily use a splitter on a pre-out) as it is unlikely to be full range let alone have any specific info except for LFE channel and any redirected bass from your other channels. I haven't heard that about miniDSP units, no issues with either of my 2x4s in that regard either....and there are quite a few different models from miniDSP but don't know how one would be necessary unless you want to perhaps work on setup/eq of your subs particularly. The Yamaha A6A doesn't have a full set of pre-outs, just L/R for the main zone along with subs, though, so if you want the external amps the A6A wouldn't be the best choice.

R

Rambo

Audiophyte
Tks for the reply. Looks like I'll have to stay in Denon 6700H or Yamaha A8A receiver range without breaking the bank (which would make seperates a possibility). Which brand DSP do you use?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You could go with a Denon 3700 for that matter if using external amps anyways.....it can process 11.2.....the difference in amp power to the 6700 for the internal amps isn't all that significant. Never had a Yamaha, don't want to speak Yamaha, it's confusing :) Altho generally nothing wrong with Yamaha, just not a direction I've needed to go.

The Denons make for good multich pre-pros, as much as the dedicated ones for the most part with some minor differences.

I use a couple Denons and an Onkyo with Audyssey and happy with that for the most part, have not gone to atmos type installation (too big a pain to wire/install in my case....no real dedicated theater room, all rooms have other uses and I have issues with ceiling installation needed :) ). I also have some miniDSP 2x4s for both bass management and use in some diy active speakers....I have too much audio gear in some senses :)

R

Rambo

Audiophyte
Lol. Does anyone have too much audio gear? :)
So back to the Denon 3700 11.2, with the VOG/Center Height channel that would be 12.2? My external amp has 7 channels.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Iirc looking at the Yamaha thread here, I don’t think that Yamaha has offered the firmware for Auro yet. I personally wouldn’t bother with Auro, as there is very little content available, and what is available, is mostly from Europe where Auro from, and has more support.
I went with a 7.x.4 with in ceiling tops and it has been excellent. No interest in Auro for me. It also works well with dtsX. Both upmixers are very good but I find that I mostly use DSU instead of DTSnx. People have reported that auromatic is great for music. I don’t have any experience there.
Question is. How serious are you about Auro? And why. If you have very specific reasons, it might be worth pursuing. If your interest is more vague then I would say skip it and go for Atmos.

R

Rambo

Audiophyte
Iirc looking at the Yamaha thread here, I don’t think that Yamaha has offered the firmware for Auro yet. I personally wouldn’t bother with Auro, as there is very little content available, and what is available, is mostly from Europe where Auro from, and has more support.
I went with a 7.x.4 with in ceiling tops and it has been excellent. No interest in Auro for me. It also works well with dtsX. Both upmixers are very good but I find that I mostly use DSU instead of DTSnx. People have reported that auromatic is great for music. I don’t have any experience there.
Question is. How serious are you about Auro? And why. If you have very specific reasons, it might be worth pursuing. If your interest is more vague then I would say skip it and go for Atmos.
Thanks for the input. I've seen some videos on YT by Joe N Tell/Stop the FOMO/TechnoDad and the Auro looked very impressive. Understand there is not much content but the upmixer allows you to run Atmos in Auro for more effect. The Yamaha (future firm update) will have Auro and possible DTS X Pro with the amount of channels I need 7.2.5. Some Blu-rays with Atmos like AquaM@n there is no sound from the Front Heights, then there are some that do. But the Auro upmixer uses all speakers.Auro 3D Upmixing

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks for the input. I've seen some videos on YT by Joe N Tell/Stop the FOMO/TechnoDad and the Auro looked very impressive. Understand there is not much content but the upmixer allows you to run Atmos in Auro for more effect. The Yamaha (future firm update) will have Auro and possible DTS X Pro with the amount of channels I need 7.2.5. Some Blu-rays with Atmos like AquaM@n there is no sound from the Front Heights, then there are some that do. But the Auro upmixer uses all speakers.Auro 3D Upmixing
These are fair points. My argument would be that if you upmix an Atmos track, it’s actually being downmixed. Imo turning an object based track into a channel based one throws the XYZ tracking of objects. Now this could be moot with some tracks like Disney ones and others like them. But considering how little content for Auro there is, I would personally set up my system to accommodate that, and have a half assed system for Atmos tracks that are actually good. That’s just my opinion though. And fwiw again, I do have an Atmos capable system and can’t see how an Auro layout would improve on it. Also I have found very few YT HT that know what they’re talking about. Ymmv of course.
Interesting comment on aquaman. I seemed to recall it had lots of height activity. Unless it was played back on a x.x.6 system. Then some tracks only use center heights. I do know it’s a bass fest! Almost annoyingly so lol.

R

Rambo

Audiophyte
I was leaning Atmos, but I'm kinda on the fence now. I know Atmos is the leading format in the US (now) but I'm seeing a lot of the top end receivers including Denon, Yamaha, Marantz, JBL add it in. With the hype it's getting on social media sites and the anticipation of new updated AVR series next year, AURO 3D just might take off with support. The option to position heights at 30 deg in the corners and support Atmos & Auro is more attractive than cutting holes in the ceiling for speaker placement. What are your thoughts on DIRAC, Audyssey, YPAO?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I was leaning Atmos, but I'm kinda on the fence now. I know Atmos is the leading format in the US (now) but I'm seeing a lot of the top end receivers including Denon, Yamaha, Marantz, JBL add it in. With the hype it's getting on social media sites and the anticipation of new updated AVR series next year, AURO 3D just might take off with support. The option to position heights at 30 deg in the corners and support Atmos & Auro is more attractive than cutting holes in the ceiling for speaker placement. What are your thoughts on DIRAC, Audyssey, YPAO?
IME, ypao is good at setting levels and distances. It’s useless for subs. Audyssey is the best of the three for subs, but I have been using LR bypass and limiting EQ to 300hz for the other channels. I think Dirac is best overall.

As far as easier placement in the corners. I get that. It’s a lot easier. Again, it will work best for Auro that way, but for Atmos I feel you’ll be left disappointed but then say Atmos sucks, and it’s actually the layout not supporting it. Don’t get me wrong, there are a lot of Atmos tracks that aren’t that great, but that’s been true for a long time of all formats. Some are good, some are not. But when you here objects in 3d space , IN your room and not “around” it, it’s pretty amazing. I’m not a big social media guy, and most of the people I see on YouTube are dumb, save for a few. Damn I sound like a curmudgeon…lmao!!!

At the end of the day you have to do what’s best for your situation, and that can be different for all of us. I chose my path and won’t be looking back. I hope whichever way you go will be best.

R

Rambo

Audiophyte
IME, ypao is good at setting levels and distances. It’s useless for subs. Audyssey is the best of the three for subs, but I have been using LR bypass and limiting EQ to 300hz for the other channels. I think Dirac is best overall.

As far as easier placement in the corners. I get that. It’s a lot easier. Again, it will work best for Auro that way, but for Atmos I feel you’ll be left disappointed but then say Atmos sucks, and it’s actually the layout not supporting it. Don’t get me wrong, there are a lot of Atmos tracks that aren’t that great, but that’s been true for a long time of all formats. Some are good, some are not. But when you here objects in 3d space , IN your room and not “around” it, it’s pretty amazing. I’m not a big social media guy, and most of the people I see on YouTube are dumb, save for a few. Damn I sound like a curmudgeon…lmao!!!

At the end of the day you have to do what’s best for your situation, and that can be different for all of us. I chose my path and won’t be looking back. I hope whichever way you go will be best.

Interesting Podcast on Auro/Atmos. Go: to 59:39 - 1:08:41 mark Hi-Fi Podcast

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Interesting Podcast on Auro/Atmos. Go: to 59:39 - 1:08:41 mark Hi-Fi Podcast
I forgot about this. Oopsies.

I did watch a bunch of this video the other day. But to be honest. The guy is the one who created Auro3d. I believe his opinion is biased, and his claims a little dubious. Then in the section you added, he talks about spacial coding in Atmos. I don’t know that he fully understands it. And it kinda felt like Henry ford explaining why I wouldn’t want to buy a Buick. Lol

R

Rambo

Audiophyte
LOL!!! Thanks for all the info. I was going to pull the trigger on the Yam A8A but I think I'm going to wait an see what happens with the firmware updates. As of now it's just promised. As another reviewer stated, by the time it comes out the return policy will have expired, so you're kind of stuck with it. What has been your experience in timeframe to buy an new AVR models with cost savings/promos?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis