Yamaha A-S801 Integrated Amp unites analog and digital audio

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Some AVRs, but obviously not all, are also good as one box solutions comparable to integrated amps. Here's some examples of those that did very well on the bench.
I'm finding this to be true. Especially those known for sound quality with robust amp sections, and that have options such as active sub out while in Direct mode. I was prepared to drop a couple grand on an integrated amp as the final piece to my audio puzzle until I found what was lurking in some of the older AVRs behind all the clutter. As it turns out, the height of the AVR fills the shelf on my console better than 2 out of 3 of my IAs do. In Pure Direct mode, there isn't even any lights on so it just looks like a black box with a faintly lighted switch and I like the large knobs, and with most of the buttons hidden behind a door.

As an aside, I don't hear much about specific speaker selection for 2 channel. It's nice if you can have speakers that work with or without a filter, over those that have to have one.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
Some AVRs, but obviously not all, are also good as one box solutions comparable to integrated amps. Here's some examples of those that did very well on the bench.

Compared them to a $3,000 power amp NAD M25

and a $900 integrated amp:

I do prefer to have separate 2 channel systems regardless, and let the AVR/AVP/Multichannel amp do movies and videos in a separate room. That will change though, if and when I have to down size to an apartment or something like that.:D
Ahhh, a separate music only system, very nice! Maybe one day... For now my Yamaha 3060 will have to suffice. Interesting info though. I noticed the two receivers you give measurements on are near top of line AVRs, which would make sense.

I finally got surround speakers delivered last night! I am going to hook them up today and run calibration. Then I'm going kick back and enjoy my humble 5.1 system.........Until I can convince the lady of the house that we "need" a second Rythmik sub woofer..:D

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Ahhh, a separate music only system, very nice! Maybe one day... For now my Yamaha 3060 will have to suffice. Interesting info though. I noticed the two receivers you give measurements on are near top of line AVRs, which would make sense.

I finally got surround speakers delivered last night! I am going to hook them up today and run calibration. Then I'm going kick back and enjoy my humble 5.1 system.........Until I can convince the lady of the house that we "need" a second Rythmik sub woofer..:D
Yes, I do believe the top or near top of the line AVRs are practically just as good as integrated or separate systems that offer similar specs, but not the entry level ones.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Tell her the mean bullies on the forums won't stop picking on you until you do! :p

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
Yes, I do believe the top or near top of the line AVRs are practically just as good as integrated or separate systems that offer similar specs, but not the entry level ones.
Yes, I would agree. Hopefully the 3060 will give me some good years of service, but as long as I am financially able, it'll be flagship or near flagship AVRs.........or separates :)

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
Tell her the mean bullies on the forums won't stop picking on you until you do! :p
Yes, I would agree. Hopefully the 3060 will give me some good years of service, but as long as I am financially able, it'll be flagship or near flagship AVRs.........or separates :)
I'm being bullied!! yes yes, what a fine idea sir! Thank you Pogre :cool:

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I think you made the right decision and I made the wrong one to spend a lot more money on my Marantz AV8801, flagship AVP at the time. If I had kept the AVR4308 until now, I could sell it for $200 and spend another $1,500 on a new Denon AVR that will have the long anticipated Audyssey app editor that sounds like a fun toy to play with for months.:D Now, I have to decide to spend a fortune again on the AV8803 that probably won't be available for at least a few more months and will be going for like $4K, so no, won't make that same mistake again, back to AVR for sure but please don't tell TLSGuy..:D

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I think you made the right decision and I made the wrong one to spend a lot more money on my Marantz AV8801, flagship AVP at the time. If I had kept the AVR4308 until now, I could sell it for $200 and spend another $1,500 on a new Denon AVR that will have the long anticipated Audyssey app editor that sounds like a fun toy to play with for months.:D Now, I have to decide to spend a fortune again on the AV8803 that probably won't be available for at least a few more months and will be going for like $4K, so no, won't make that same mistake again, back to AVR for sure but please don't tell TLSGuy..:D
I'm curious as to why the AV8803 over the AV7703? I can't seem to really find a major difference between the two?

Also, I'm considering the SR6011 for my system and have read that the SR7011 is basically the AV7703 with an amp section. So, same question. What advantage would I get with the SR7011 vs the SR6011?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm curious as to why the AV8803 over the AV7703? I can't seem to really find a major difference between the two?

Also, I'm considering the SR6011 for my system and have read that the SR7011 is basically the AV7703 with an amp section. So, same question. What advantage would I get with the SR7011 vs the SR6011?
You are right, if I ended up staying on the AVP route it will be the AV7703 as long as it is priced the same or below the SR7012 or Denon AVR-X6400H. The AVP880X has toroidal transformer, copper chassis, and better analog section, nothing that will make any audible difference at all and I am 100% sure about that now, to me anyway. If I go the AVR route then I can getting some money back selling at least one or two power amps, though I always find it extremely difficult to part company with amps that I have owned for a while.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I always find it extremely difficult to part company with amps that I have owned for a while.
At least horded amps are stackable to one small footprint in a closet. I have 5, not including the old Adcom my cousin has and he paid some big bucks getting it rebuilt for me.

The upgrade fashion of this hobby is what makes it possible for those of us of lesser means to have affordable, quality audio gear these days. It didn't used to be this easy. Some of the things I have bought, I cannot get over the condition of it with much of it like new, still with that new amp/AVR smell.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
You are right, if I ended up staying on the AVP route it will be the AV7703 as long as it is priced the same or below the SR7012 or Denon AVR-X6400H. The AVP880X has toroidal transformer, copper chassis, and better analog section, nothing that will make any audible difference at all and I am 100% sure about that now, to me anyway. If I go the AVR route then I can getting some money back selling at least one or two power amps, though I always find it extremely difficult to part company with amps that I have owned for a while.
Interesting, thanks.

I don't think I'd be able to part with good amps. Never know when you may need them again.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Interesting, thanks.

I don't think I'd be able to part with good amps. Never know when you may need them again.
I have 1 MCH and 4 2ch systems and still have amps sitting idling.:D By the way, the AV880X and AVR-X7200W also have better DAC than the AV7703, another thing that makes no audible difference, no for movies anyway. Actually now that you reminded me of the 7703 option, that could be the tie breaker for me. I have had a AV7005 before, not really that bad at all.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I have 1 MCH and 4 2ch systems and still have amps sitting idling.:D By the way, the AV880X and AVR-X7200W also have better DAC than the AV7703, another thing that makes no audible difference, no for movies anyway. Actually now that you reminded me of the 7703 option, that could be the tie breaker for me. I have had a AV7005 before, not really that bad at all.
You may have already seen this, but it is somewhat interesting. They compare the 7703 to the 7702, 8802 and a denon 4200x IIRC.

Marantz AV7703: 1st Listen

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
You may have already seen this, but it is somewhat interesting. They compare the 7703 to the 7702, 8802 and a denon 4200x IIRC.

Marantz AV7703: 1st Listen
I read it before and just read it again but just for fun. Subjective reviews are only for fun, especially when the host is a dealer and firmly believe in break in. If the Denon 4200 was listed for $3000, that softer top end he heard would have been considered as a smoother and warmer sound and therefore ranked above the others.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I read it before and just read it again but just for fun. Subjective reviews are only for fun, especially when the host is a dealer and firmly believe in break in. If the Denon 4200 was listed for $3000, that softer top end he heard would have been considered as a smoother and warmer sound and therefore ranked above the others.
Yeah. The review was going good until I read that and the fact that blind tests confused people and they couldn't tell a difference. Gee, I wonder why...

S

Strum und Drang

Enthusiast
IIRC, "Yamaha Sound" = "Natural Sound", just marketing stuff imo.:D:D
I went from a budget Sherwood "100 watt rms" receiver to the Yamaha R-S500 (The A-S500, A-S501 are the integrated amp versions of this receiver's amp). The Sherwood lacked in the bass and mid-range and was more bright. I was used to the Sherwood sound and for a week or so I had some buyer's remorse until I got used to the Yamaha sound. It is very balanced and detailed. Natural sound = full bodied sound. If you are in the $500 to $300 range for a receiver or amp, the Yamaha A-S501, R-S700, and R-S500 are great choices. The power rating is not over hyped. The R-S700 amp is similar to the A-S701 and A-S801, it lacks the DAC but it does have main in/pre-out so it can be used as a pre-amp or as a power amp. It has plenty of RCA connections for attaching a DAC or even a Blue-Tooth receiver. I use my R-S500 for 2.1 stereo and streaming TV and movies from Comcast and watching videos. I am very pleased with the R-S500

P

Puru Agrawal

Audiophyte
This is a great review of the Yamaha A-S801. Thanks Gene! I am considering getting it and the price has come down substantially since you published the review in 2015. I was a bit confused in the scorecard, however, by the fact that you gave this a 5 start rating on the "multi-channel listening" portion, and a 4 star rating on the 2-channel listening portion. I didn't see anything in the review about multi-channel listening and the amp seems to only be a 2 channel amp. Is the multi-channel rating because of the subwoofer?

B

bluewizard

Audiophyte
I'm a little baffled by some of the responses. AVSForums also did a review of the Yamaha AS801, and got the same response. The condensed version is -

It's not an AV Receiver!

Well guess what, it is not an AV Receiver and is not intended to be one. Wishing it was is like buying a Mini-Copper then complaining that you can't haul cargo freight.

Get what you need. But don't deny others getting what they feel they need.

Myself, until I win the Lottery, I'm going with a Stereo Amp and Floorstanding Speakers, to me that represents the best possible application of my money.

I'm fond of saying -

If you want a Music system, get a Music system; meaning a Stereo.

If you want a Movie system, then get a Movie system; meaning Surround Sound.

While each will do the other, each will do what it does best.

Yamaha has many new INNOVATIVE Stereo Amp and Stereo Receivers. Many people are moving away from AV Surround and getting back into Stereo. And Yamaha as much as if not more than other makers, is filling that need.

They make several Network Receiver that have Network Streaming built in. The most recent and most appealing is the Yamaha RN803 with 100w/ch, Bluetooth, Network Streaming, and in the UK with DAB/DAB+ Radio. Sweet amp.

The Yamaha AS801 is geared toward a quality amp, top of the Consumer Line, that has an outstanding DAC, and a solid 100w/ch.

However, as much as I like this amp, there are a couple of problems I see -

1.) Lose the Sub-Out and replace it with Stereo Pre-Amp out. Pre-Amp out will drive a Subwoofer with no problem as well as an external Amp, however, a Sub-Out will only drive a Sub, it doesn't have many other uses.

2.) Minimal FRONT Bass Management. Outlaw Audio's Receiver, has very simple switchable Bass Management for the Front speakers. There is no need to manage the low bass for the Sub because the controls in the Sub can handle that, but to seamlessly blend the Front Speakers, you need them to match the crossover of the Sub.

Even if there was a simple switch with a fixed 80hz crossover that could cut frequencies below 80hz from the Front Speakers, that would go a long way to seamlessly integrating Front and Sub. Subs in the modern world are an inevitable reality, and a bit more effort to accommodate them would go a long way. I think an 70hz or 80hz fixed switchable Front Crossover, would allow you to seamlessly blend with a vast majority of Bookshelf and Floorstanding Speakers, and would add very little cost to the Amp.

But then ... that's just my opinion.

Steve/bluewizard

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
@bluewizard I'm jumping this bandwagon with few tweaks; separating surround systems from two channel systems and saying each will do best in his own league is not really true.

I agree that you can't list as cons the fact that it is not an AVR. I'm the first to not want to own an AVR. So, how is this a con, right? But many of today's great multi-channel will give you all you need for two channel, while other way around it doesn't hold true.

Saying that a 2 way is not good because it's not multi is like saying ice cream makes a lousy soup. Who gives a damn?! I aim to slowly move towards 2.2. I don't want multi, so having 5.1 channels sitting there doing nothing in a 7.1.2. channel receiver (and being punishable ugly at the same time), while I use 2.2 and listen to music that way is just the wrong way to go about it.

It is very hard to defend this position here. Once "future-proofing" made its way into our collective conscious, it is next to impossible. I see it as buying skies while living in the Mediterranean and everyone keeps asking me why not, you might want to learn some day...

ALTHOUGH stereo amps must learn from AVR's. I believe it has come to this. Music went digital and amps need DAC's that have 3-5 types of connections. I also think they need sub-out with proper and easy to use settings... In short this is how I see audiophile in the age of digital:

Class A 2x60Wpch with a lot (a lot!) of headroom
Two channels for speakers, no bi-wiring
DAC accessible through several types of connections in-built into the amp
Both good phono and CD in
Good headphones section
Pre-out / Mains-in
2 separate sub-outs with good bass management
No digital display and by no means a touch screen (whoever invented that should hang)
Huuuge extruded aluminum passive coolers
Very quiet fan

This would be a heart of today's young adult stereo aficionado's system.

(some retro features to get it sold; handles for carrying, rack screws, analogue VUmeters)

It is basically this:
upload_2017-10-25_17-49-6.jpeg

But plus ClassA, two sub-outs, pre-out/main in and minus a pair of speakers binds.

And this level of finish quality (materials, knobs, switches)

B

bluewizard

Audiophyte
@bluewizard I'm jumping this bandwagon with few tweaks; separating surround systems from two channel systems and saying each will do best in his own league is not really true. ...
In general I don't think we are that far apart in our opinions. But I stand by my point -

If you want a Music system, get a Music system; meaning a Stereo.

If you want a Movie system, then get a Movie system; meaning Surround Sound.

While each will do the other, each will do what it does best.

Each WILL do the other, but each does what it does best. Certainly if you spend a considerable amount on an AVR it is going to sound good for music. But probably not as good as a plain Stereo Amp for similar money.

But my point was that if your preference is for a Surround Movies system, then it can also satisfy your need for Music. But if your preference is for a Music system, it makes the most sense to get a Stereo.

But each person must weigh for himself what his priorities are. AVRs have a LOT of handy features typically not found on a Stereo (Room EQ, Network Streaming Bass Management,...) . If that matters to you, then that could sway you in that direction. But in near 50 years of dabbling in Audio, I've not found a need for any of those extras.

Though perhaps under other circumstances, I might consider Network Streaming. And while I can buy that as a separate item, at the moment I don't see it as a necessity.

And under other circumstances, like winning the lottery and moving into a substantially bigger house, I can see the value of Bass Management, but if I buy an Pre-Amp/Power-Amp, I can add Bass Management to a Stereo. At least sufficient bass management to meet my needs. Or simply buy one of the rare Stereos that have Bass Management (Parasound, Outlaw,...).

It is about suiting your personal needs. If you need Surround Sound it is a bit stupid to buy a Stereo. But if you don't need Surround Sound, then you don't really need an AVR. Though you are free to buy one for Stereo.

My Stereo works fine for Movies, and even without a Subwoofer I get Bass that will ruffle my hair, so I'm good.

You don't buy a Mini-Cooper to haul cargo freight.
You buy a system that suits your preferences and priorities, plus circumstances and budget. But it is just odd in the extreme to complain that a Stereo Amp is not an AVR as many seem to have done.

Steve/bluewizard

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis