Yamaha A-S200 vs Denon PMA-A100

Spookyfoot

Spookyfoot

Audioholic Intern
I'm very interested in these 2 integrated amps...do any of you own either one of these amps or have any insight to offer? My budget could go up to $2500, is there another contender I should consider as well?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Spookyfoot

Spookyfoot

Audioholic Intern
It will be for a dedicated 2 channel stereo set up strictly for music, so I guess I don't necessarily need all the bells & whistles & multi channels the 4311 offers...but the price would be right!

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
It will be for a dedicated 2 channel stereo set up strictly for music, so I guess I don't necessarily need all the bells & whistles & multi channels the 4311 offers...but the price would be right!
In the economy of scale - cutting features YOU don't need will only increase the price rather than lower it... Denon 4311 is a very solid machine as both pre-pro and amp sections
Plus you could get rid of your external dac - sell it on polk forums :D

A

ACsGreens

Full Audioholic
Anthem Integrated 225

I recommend the Anthem Integrated 225. Large torroidal transformer, wonderful sound. He wants a 2 ch amp, why would you say the 4311? I see this all the time on here and gets a bit old, always trying to get people a great "bargain" though it is not what they are looking for.:confused:

T

templemaners

Senior Audioholic
I recommend the Anthem Integrated 225. Large torroidal transformer, wonderful sound. He wants a 2 ch amp, why would you say the 4311? I see this all the time on here and gets a bit old, always trying to get people a great "bargain" though it is not what they are looking for.:confused:
I'm sorry I was trying to save the OP $1000 by suggesting, IMO, a superior option to the choices he originally posed. Next time, I'll just discuss what they originally asked for.

A

ACsGreens

Full Audioholic
alright...

I'm not trying to be an ***, I just read this all the time and is a bit confusing....Someone says "I would like a nice Toyota Camry, small and fuel efficient.", and someone else says "Yeah, but there is a great used old school bus, it can hold a ton of people and is dirt cheap." I guess I'll just continue reading.:eek:

Spookyfoot

Spookyfoot

Audioholic Intern

The Anthem 225 is a definite contender and a Beast at 225 watts per channel, wow!

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm not trying to be an ***, I just read this all the time and is a bit confusing....Someone says "I would like a nice Toyota Camry, small and fuel efficient.", and someone else says "Yeah, but there is a great used old school bus, it can hold a ton of people and is dirt cheap." I guess I'll just continue reading.:eek:
No - you are reading it wrong .... Someone says "I would like a nice Cadillac Escalade to use as my daily driver - big and spacious" and then some else yeah, but there is a great alternative - Toyota Camry - it's also very comfortable and very good daily driver and will save you a few buck...

But then YOU come it as say - Toyota Camry is actually a POS old school bus and if someone asks for luxury suv for a daily driver - they should get Porsche Cayenne

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Spooky - Bottom line - If you want better sound - Invest in Speakers, KEF Q900 are very capable speaker, but I'm pretty sure Philharmonics 2 would be a noticeable improvement.
Speakers would determine 95% of overall sound quality - don't get too engaged in overspending for electronics.

Example:
a) Philharmonics 2 + Yamaha A710 + Emotiva XPA-2 amp
vs
b) Anthem Integrated 225 + Q900

Option A wins easily

Spookyfoot

Spookyfoot

Audioholic Intern
Spooky - Bottom line - If you want better sound - Invest in Speakers, KEF Q900 are very capable speaker, but I'm pretty sure Philharmonics 2 would be a noticeable improvement.
Speakers would determine 95% of overall sound quality - don't get too engaged in overspending for electronics.

Example:
a) Philharmonics 2 + Yamaha A710 + Emotiva XPA-2 amp
vs
b) Anthem Integrated 225 + Q900

Option A wins easily
I've only had the KEF Q900's for a couple months and I LOVE THEM! So different speakers aren't a part of my considerations. I'm looking to update my Technics receiver which has been a true over-performer for the past 12 years running an average of 6-8 hours per day. I'm giving it to a buddy who is in a jam, which is leading me to look for a new amp.

Spookyfoot

Spookyfoot

Audioholic Intern
Does anyone have any information to share regarding the A-S2000 or the PMA-A100?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I concur. In this case where is is asking about 2 different 2 channel amps, it seems that he knows what he wants and why. Giving a rec for something else, that is much different is annoying.

Spookyfoot

Spookyfoot

Audioholic Intern
I concur. In this case where is is asking about 2 different 2 channel amps, it seems that he knows what he wants and why. Giving a rec for something else, that is much different is annoying.
Yes, I am definitely going the 2 channel route for my music system instead of a receiver. Just need to decide which one.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Yes, I am definitely going the 2 channel route for my music system instead of a receiver. Just need to decide which one.
FYI, I just acquired the last pieces of my 2 channel setup, haven't even had a chance to hook it up yet :(

Emotiva USP-1 preamp connected to Parasound 1206 amp bridged to 300wpc and driving Infinity Primus P362 towers. Sources are Numark TT and JVC 100 disc changer, but working on upgrading those in the near future. Really looking into HSU or SVS sub and Oppo Player as well. This is a 2nd, dedicated 2 channel system in a different room than my HT system.

Sorry I don't have any experience with either of the amps you had questions about though.

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
I really disagree with this, it's not something that is very different. It will perform the exact same task with the same level of quality, but just has other features that can be ignored. If the OP doesn't like this option, that is something he can decide, but frankly to me you getting annoyed for the OP is far more annoying than the suggestion was.

For the OP, sorry I really have no experience with those receivers but would tender to guess that you'd probably be happy with either one.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I really disagree with this, it's not something that is very different. It will perform the exact same task with the same level of quality, but just has other features that can be ignored. If the OP doesn't like this option, that is something he can decide, but frankly to me you getting annoyed for the OP is far more annoying than the suggestion was.

For the OP, sorry I really have no experience with those receivers but would tender to guess that you'd probably be happy with either one.
Yes, features that can be ignored....and therefore don't even need to be there. The point is that if he is asking about 2 channels only, then you would assume that there is a reason for that.

A

ACsGreens

Full Audioholic
Anthem 225

I just want to weigh in again with my recommendation for the 225. I have heard many amps, and this is of superb quality. Anthem's power supply, as compared to Yammy, Denon, etc...is far superior, imo. I have done many a/b comps, and the Anthem has more bold, dymanic, quality power. And at that price, pretty impressive.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
or have any insight to offer?
No matter how you cut it, spending up to $1500-2500 on a 2ch integrated amp to drive $1500 speakers just does not make sense. If not for any other reason, then for loss of subwoofer crossover management and room correction. Most integrated amps will not have a sub out and if they do, the crossover management will not be nearly as flexable as even the budget surround receivers. (I concede that you are looking for a 2ch setup and not a 2.1 setup, but a sub is advisable none the less.) It does not matter how robust your amp is and with what authority it can plumb the low impedance curves, if your room/layout has introduced severe peaks and dips at the listening location. Taming those peaks and dips will do much more for the speakers/sound than high dollar electronics.

IMHO, if you must stay away from HT Receivers, go for a 2ch pre with a 2ch amp. For example, Emotiva USP-1 and XPA-2. The USP-1 has been reviewed to be an excellent pre with no sound coloring traits and the XPA-2 is a beast of an amp that needs no introduction (at least on AH).

Hope this helps and happy hunting :).

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Because you think the integrated amps sound better?

Electronic Expo has sold the Denon 4311 to some guys for $1330 over the phone. Give them a call.

I think the 4311 will sound better than any of those IAs (Anthem, Denon PMA, Yamaha) and has more power as well, especially in 2.0 Pure Direct mode.:cool: No question or doubt in my mind.

BTW, I did own three Denon PMA-2000R Integrated Amps in the past. Seems just like the PMA-100.

I don't even think any of those Denon/Yamaha IAs measure as well as the 4311 on the test bench in terms of power, FR, Crosstalk, THD, SNR.

BTW, The Audio Critic reviewed the Denon PMA few years ago.
http://www.google.com/url?url=http://www.theaudiocritic.com/back_issues/The_Audio_Critic_25_r.pdf&rct=j&sa=U&ei=sOp5T7GVA4uo8QSys8SFCg&ved=0CBAQFjAA&sig2=bpNQgkn-OcwEtmJqp93vlQ&q=The+Audio+Critic+Denon+PMA&usg=AFQjCNFYkooLJ5v3J6dA6SaLGT58M71sNg

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis