Yamaha 1500 versus 2500??

T

Tallcane

Junior Audioholic
I am considering both of these. Is the jump in money worth it to move up to the 2500? Also, is it safe to purchase from an online retailer or ebayer for the huge price break you get?

S

SkyFlyinBy

Enthusiast
With the 2500 you get a nice onscreen menu to operate everything, and I think you may get bigger capacitors (but I may be thinking of the jump from the 52tx to the 54tx), and 10 more watts per channel. As far as sound quality, I don't believe there is any difference. I was looking into both receivers myself and I was told there was no real difference between them sonically...

M

migito888

Audiophyte
Tallcane - Choose whatever fits your budget. They're both similar. The on screen menu is handy but you won't get to use it regularly so it shouldn't be the deciding factor.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
If you have the money, get the 2500. I was in the same situation a while back with the 1400/2400. I got the 1400. Ended up adding an amp. There will always be that "what if :confused: " in the back of your mind if you get the 1500.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
I agree with Zumbo. Buy as much as you can as long as you can. You'll have this thing for a long time, and wishing you would have gone a little more. I always tell people when buying a house, buy way more than you can afford. 5 years later you won't be sorry when you're making more money and in a better neighborhood. I bought more than I could afford, and now I wish I would have gone even bigger. As far as buying online - it's nice to have a little bit of a warranty, even 30-90 days. If the unit runs for 2 months, you are usually safe. If you had to send in the unit for a major repair, figure $100 in labor/shipping and $100 in parts. If you'll save more than that, buy online. If not, get it locally.

A

asethi

Enthusiast
i have a 2500 about 4 months old = like it very much no problems with my energy speakers. i m not sure bout the 1500 but i really like the feature of upconversion on the 2500 so if u have a svideo or composite, they are upconverted to component so u dont have multiple wires. In terms of store vs online: i found that the online prices for new ones are about 100 bucks less than the store. I got mine at tweeter for around 685 i think. They sell it at 999 but they had a sale and then i told them they were selling it cheaper somewhere else and tehy matched that price. And you dont have to be worried about warranty issues because tweeter is authorized. so all in all u can get the reciever prob a little more but if u can get it at the store its nice bein able to get it the same day and not wait for it to be shipped and have the peace of mind about the warranty being covered.

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
With the introduction of the RX-V4600, argueably the 2500's replacement and no doubt a soon coming 1500 replacement there should be a price drop on both units soon. Both online and in store. I have the 1500. Regrets? Very seldom. I've chosen not to use the video features and the extra 10 watts of power are almost meaningless. Sure the OSD is better but certainly not a deciding factor. If your speakers are low in efficiency the 2500 will do a much better job of driving them.
I think Buckeye's $200 guideline for online purchases is a pretty good one, But, IMHO, thats alot of money to spend without a Yamaha warranty.

T

Tallcane

Junior Audioholic
I really would like to pick up the unit with the full warranty for just the reason stated above. It is a whole lot of money to spend without the warranty. One problem is that the local dealer near me who sold them just went out of business. Up till that point he had seemed very unwilling to negotiate also. Anyone hear been able to call a sound advice or tweeter store and get them to drop their price?

A

Azz123

Junior Audioholic
Tallcane.

I’ve got the RX-V1500 and have no issue with its power driving the AAD speakers I have.
I am however going to offload it to my father (he is now a HT addict) and am going to get the 2500 as I want the extra component input. The 1500 only has 2, the 2500 has 3.
Something to consider if your looking at taking advantage of the video side of things and are looking at future proofing..

Either way, both are awesome receivers, and I'd be staying with the 1500 if it had 3 component inputs...

Enjoy your purchase..

A

A

awesomebase

Audioholic
Can't go wrong

I have the 1500. I was going to get the 2500 but I couldn't justify the price difference for what you get. In fact, at that point the Denon 3805 and Pioneer Elite models started looking good as well. If you play your music super loud, go with the 2500. If you want almost all the benefits of the 2500 with just a little less power, go with the 1500. As I recall I think the 1500 has as much power as the 2400 had if I'm not mistaken... They are both excellent receivers...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis