Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Since we're back on the subject of MLK.
Would anyone like to discuss his plagiarism issues?
Also, why a federal court order sealing of 845 pages of King's FBI records, for 50 years?

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
You've never heard of Dennis Miller or any of his comedy commentary on racism.

And i thought i was a shut in :D
Oh. That's humor. A comic (not an author, or writer). I get it. :)

I introduced an important topic. I thought it was a serious response. A smiley face would help on chad's part next time. :)

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Oh. That's humor. A comic (not an author, or writer). I get it. :)

I introduced an important topic. I thought it was a serious response. A smiley face would help on chad's part next time. :)
Why, is Dennis Miller any less credible than
these other two comedians from the Comedy Channel?
Stephen Colbert : Of The Colbert Report
Or Jon Stewart: Of the Daily Show.:D:rolleyes:

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
Why, is Dennis Miller any less credible than
these other two comedians from the Comedy Channel?
Stephen Colbert : Of The Colbert Report
Or Jon Stewart: Of the Daily Show.:D:rolleyes:
Hey Rickster.

He's not any less credible (than any other comic!). :D:p But you already realize that, don't you? :)

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
I added the requisite smiley face, did I not?
Yes. Not even requisite Rickster (at least not in my book). I just want the humor to be known...my posts are too often misconstrued by a couple of people, so I've taken to being very explicit.

A comic's writing has been injected into a serious discussion. That's humorous! And referring to him as D. Miller made me think he was published. :D I like D. Miller's humor...he's often funny. Even as a satirist. But he's no historian, or political commentator, and I realize that fact. :p

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Yes. Not even requisite Rickster (at least not in my book). I just want the humor to be known...my posts are too often misconstrued by a couple of people, so I've taken to being very explicit.

A comic's writing has been injected into a serious discussion. That's humorous! And referring to him as D. Miller made me think he was published. :D I like D. Miller's humor...he's often funny. Even as a satirist. But he's no historian, or political commentator, and I realize that fact. :p
I was shocked at the many people,
that believe the Jon Stewart show is real news. :eek:

Though I digress.
Does anyone have a take on the Martin L King questions, posted earlier?

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
PLAGIARISM IN HIS DOCTORAL THESIS:
The most complete analysis of King’s chronic plagiarism in his academic career was done by Gerry Harbison, professor at University of Nebraska: “In 1988, the Martin Luther King Jr. Papers Project made a discovery that shocked it to its core. The Project, a group of academics and students, had been entrusted by Coretta Scott King with the task of editing King's papers for publication. As they examined King's student essays and his dissertation, they gradually became aware that King was guilty of massive plagiarism - that is, he had copied the words of other authors word-for-word, without making it clear that what he was writing was not his own. The Project spent years uncovering the full extent of King's plagiarism. In November 1990, word leaked to the press, and they had to go public. The revelations caused a minor scandal and then were promptly forgotten.” Suppressed would be a more accurate description. The National Endowment for the Humanities actively suppressed the story in preparation for celebrating King. Its then director was Lynne Cheney, wife of the current Vice President. For the full story see Prof. Harbison’s website: http://chem-gharbison.unl.edu/mlk/plagiarism.html

Record's Sealed:

In January 31, 1977, United States District Judge John Lewis Smith, Jr., ordered all known copies of the recorded audiotapes and written transcripts resulting from the FBI's electronic surveillance of King between 1963 and 1968 to be held in the National Archives and sealed from public access until 2027.

http://worldaffairsbrief.com/keytopics/MLK.shtml

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Luther_King,_Jr.#King_and_the_FBI

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
PLAGIARISM IN HIS DOCTORAL THESIS:
The most complete analysis of King’s chronic plagiarism in his academic career was done by Gerry Harbison, professor at University of Nebraska: “In 1988, the Martin Luther King Jr. Papers Project made a discovery that shocked it to its core. The Project, a group of academics and students, had been entrusted by Coretta Scott King with the task of editing King's papers for publication. As they examined King's student essays and his dissertation, they gradually became aware that King was guilty of massive plagiarism - that is, he had copied the words of other authors word-for-word, without making it clear that what he was writing was not his own. The Project spent years uncovering the full extent of King's plagiarism. In November 1990, word leaked to the press, and they had to go public. The revelations caused a minor scandal and then were promptly forgotten.” Suppressed would be a more accurate description. The National Endowment for the Humanities actively suppressed the story in preparation for celebrating King. Its then director was Lynne Cheney, wife of the current Vice President. For the full story see Prof. Harbison’s website: http://chem-gharbison.unl.edu/mlk/plagiarism.html

Record's Sealed:

In January 31, 1977, United States District Judge John Lewis Smith, Jr., ordered all known copies of the recorded audiotapes and written transcripts resulting from the FBI's electronic surveillance of King between 1963 and 1968 to be held in the National Archives and sealed from public access until 2027.

http://worldaffairsbrief.com/keytopics/MLK.shtml

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Luther_King,_Jr.#King_and_the_FBI

Hmm. I wasn't aware. But plagiarism in college? On one paper? That could have been an inadvertent mistake...an oversight? You're not submitting that act undoes all of his good works? At first blush that doesn't make him a fake in my eyes. Nor does it undo any of his positive works. I don't have the time right know, but will peruse it later (in depth if warranted) and give you a more intelligible response. Thanks.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Hmm. I wasn't aware. But plagiarism in college? On one paper? That could have been an inadvertent mistake...an oversight? You're not submitting that act undoes all of his good works? At first blush that doesn't make him a fake in my eyes. Nor does it undo any of his positive works. I don't have the time right know, but will peruse it later (in depth if warranted) and give you a more intelligible response. Thanks.
From what I've read, the plagiarism spanned many decades.
Though, I thought all this was common knowledge.

Given the fact the information isn't politically correct; might speak it's "Under The Rug" status.
Makes one wonder why his FBI files are sealed?

How does the old axiom go? People tend to believe the lie they hear first.:)

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
I'll have to read further. But again, I don't see how his mistakes as a teeanger and in his young twenties could undo his good work.

Given the fact the information isn't politically correct; might speak it's "Under The Rug" status.
Why is it not "politically correct", and why must it be "kept under the rug?"

Only if people spread it...and devour it...without seeking all the facts, and the truth. :eek:

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
I'll have to read further. But again, I don't see how his mistakes as a teeanger and in his young twenties could undo his good work.
Ahh, research, my friend. (when you have time) The truth will set you free.

Why is it not "politically correct", and why must it be "kept under the rug?".
Playing naive I see.:)
I would think because it would hurt the legacy

Only if people spread it...and devour it...without seeking all the facts, and the truth. :eek:

Exactly! You sir have hit the nail on the head.

C

chadnliz

Senior Audioholic
A comic's writing has been injected into a serious discussion. That's humorous! And referring to him as D. Miller made me think he was published. I like D. Miller's humor...he's often funny. Even as a satirist. But he's no historian, or political commentator, and I realize that fact

Ever heard his daily 3 Hour radio show (its national), or watched his last 3 HBO specials?, watch his short lived MSNBC show?, catch him weekly on FOX news?
I wouldnt call him a Historian, but he has a brilliant mind for History but he is a Political Commentator, and a pretty entertaining one.
Maybe I dont fit in here, I get attacked or called out nearly everytime I touch the keyboard unless I compliment a members system........if this is a "clicky" place then maybe I was wrong to join.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
A comic's writing has been injected into a serious discussion. That's humorous! And referring to him as D. Miller made me think he was published. I like D. Miller's humor...he's often funny. Even as a satirist. But he's no historian, or political commentator, and I realize that fact

Ever heard his daily 3 Hour radio show (its national), or watched his last 3 HBO specials?, watch his short lived MSNBC show?, catch him weekly on FOX news?
I wouldn't call him a Historian, but he has a brilliant mind for History but he is a Political Commentator, and a pretty entertaining one.
Maybe I dint fit in here, I get attacked or called out nearly every time I touch the keyboard unless I compliment a members system........if this is a "clicky" place then maybe I was wrong to join.
I think that D. Miller is a keen observer of the human condition, he's an astute observer who happens to have witty comments on what others take too seriously, I have no problem with DM as long as he stays out of football. He makes the mundane laughable; Do I care for all his material? No, but he's still entertaining and very astute, which is something that can't be said for most comedians. As for anyone ganging up you, fight back!:D

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
As for anyone ganging up you, fight back!:D
I agree,fight back with info,you'll get used to it,maybe:D

One thing about this site is that 99% of everything you say will be challenged,its not a bad thing either,different people have different veiws on s#!t,it helps for interesting conversations.:)

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
different people have different veiws on s#!t,it helps for interesting conversations.:)
Thank you highfi and strat. Although I don't know if he has to "fight" back, as a simple offering of his opinion will do. :)

Too many people think that controversy means adversary...it does not. We ought to be able to express our opinions here freely, whether or not they are congruent with other member's opinions. And we ought to be able to do so without fear of stepping on other's toes, lest we be overly inhibited. Get a thicker skin chad, and you'll see my posts are not to demean or ridicule, but to get answers to my questions, and to provoke further thought. Cheers.

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai

I wouldnt call him a Historian, but he has a brilliant mind for History but he is a Political Commentator, and a pretty entertaining one.
Maybe I dont fit in here, I get attacked or called out nearly everytime I touch the keyboard unless I compliment a members system........if this is a "clicky" place then maybe I was wrong to join.
Also, Chad, it is considered proper form to directly quote a member's post, and referencing that member. Whenever someone refers to another in the third person, whist directly quoting them, amogst other things, it has a potentially disparaging effect. So, heads up Chad, and thank you for your anticipated cooperation in this matter.

Dennis Miller is a comic and a commentator (yes strat, never again in the NFL). He is a humorist and a satirist. He is neither a reporter nor a historian. There is a difference. Whilst I find funny much of his humor, I have never sought his shows for news. Never. Perhaps that's part of the problem, and the difference... :p:)

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
Ahh, research, my friend. (when you have time) The truth will set you free.

Playing naive I see.:)
I would think because it would hurt the legacy.
Naive? No. But here is a compilation of a reporter's work who was actually there with MLK (from 1965-68). One, amongst hundreds, to be sure.

Let us not forget how "completely American" and true his message was. And how incompletely American are those that refute his ideals.

We can have our differences. We can even have our dislikes. But toleration and equal rights are are necessary ingredients per the Declaration of Independence. ...completely American. :)

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/photos/

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja

I've got a question, did he write all his speeches? Or did he borrow?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis