Yahoo! Music Goes to Hell: The Long Fall of DRM

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Yahoo! Music Store has announced that it’s shutting the doors on its DRM laden music superstore. Somewhere Freddy Mercury is screaming “Another One Bites the Dust” at 128 kilobits per second. Despite short-term annoyances to burned customers, the joy to music fans is this era of Digital Rights Management is waning like a bad hangover after a greasy breakfast.

Discuss "Yahoo! Music Goes to Hell: The Long Fall of DRM" here. Read the article.

H

hessel

Audiophyte
Take the Darwinist approach; adapt and you will survive. So instead of resisting change and become extinct you want to embrace change. People are going to share music, so give them something to share!

Hessel - TribeofNoise.com

J

jamie2112

Banned
Thanks that was a good bit of info. I am glad to hear that myself.....

smurphy522

smurphy522

Full Audioholic
Agreed

Take the Darwinist approach; adapt and you will survive. So instead of resisting change and become extinct you want to embrace change. People are going to share music, so give them something to share!

Hessel - TribeofNoise.com
Most undoubtably so.................In the case of DRM and online (in general) if you are not on the bandwagon you are most likely going to regret it. sometimes that is unfortunate as the popular "x" is not always the best.

Like the article mentioned History will show that DRM had more to do with the slow adoption of online music than any other single source.

Wayde Robson

Wayde Robson

Audioholics Anchorman
Thanks for the positives on this article.

DRM and its inherent trouncing on private property may seem like a far flung philosophical idea but I think it's the root of why it's considered so evil and shouldn't be ignored.

I know a lot of people probably don't care. It goes back to the mindset that if you're not stealing you don't mind being searched.

Those people would join Americans who don't mind sacrificing a few civil liberties for the sake of security.

The FCC is about to rule against Comcast for bandwidth throttling. Some are saying that since they have no use for bit-torrents, P2P or any of the other questionable sources of content - throttling isn't their problem.

Spoken like a true Bostonian Loyalist circa 1773.

"I don't even care for tea! So, why should I care about taxation without representation?"

If you have (what the late Carl Sagan called) a well-honed BS-detector you saw the problems with PlaysForSure and FairPlay from the very start.

I swear, some of these corporations should employ a first-year philosophy student to test some of their policies.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
This is one reason I still buy CDs; the other being the fact that I have no interest in paying for compressed versions of the real thing.

I actually had a Napster subscription for a short while (same DRM as Yahoo) and downloading an unlimited number of songs wa cool but they were only 128k MP3. I have since deleted all of those songs and purchased CDs of all the music I got from my Napster subscription.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis