Yahama TSR-7850 Setting 'Scenes' Giving Me The Fits

cornemuse

cornemuse

Junior Audioholic
I have the 7850 avr and cannot for the life of me figure out how to set 'scenes'. In the scene setup it says to select input, actually it says I can select input but only shows (for instance) in scene 2 setup 'tuner', not what I want. What I want is: scene 1 = hdmi 1 input, scene 2 =hdmi 2, etc, 3 = 3, 4 = 4, 5 = 5. Maybe 6 = phono. Nothing else, dont want volume set differently for each input etc etc

I've got the manual (pdf ) under this page, it says basically the same as the avr setup instructions, ie, select input, fine, but how??
On remote { < INPUT > }, push the right button enough times, HDMI 1 appears then 2, then 3, then 4, next, NOT HDMI 5, I cannot even find hdmi 5. push enough times & get back finally to hdmi1, hdmi 5 is nowhere to be found.

I am clueless and frustrated & about to open a bottle of wine.

-c-

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Hey bro, yeah Yamaha has a whole Different way with Analogies with their setup. They changed up the remote and settings. You need to put the OSD on so you can see what input your on. I have a older Yamaha TSR 7790 when I upgraded to the a1080 didn’t give much thought about the new remote or the new layout on the OSD. like you I was like wtf! till I sat down with the new remote in hand with the OSD up on my tv, played with All the settings till I got use to the new layout.

Last edited:
cornemuse

cornemuse

Junior Audioholic
I did sit down with the remote in hand & osd, plus running back & forth to computer to view the pdf manual. "Select input", but where?? pdf & osd.
I did find hdmi 5, 1 through 4 showed up as hdmi (1->4), five (5), was listed as 'whatever' with tiny 'hdmi 5' in upper RH corner of the small display. ??

'nuther thing, Why dont they (all of 'em) have their 200+ page manuals in the actual avr software/firmware?? View it on your TV? Save multi trips back 'n' forth?

-c-

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I have the 7850 avr and cannot for the life of me figure out how to set 'scenes'. In the scene setup it says to select input, actually it says I can select input but only shows (for instance) in scene 2 setup 'tuner', not what I want. What I want is: scene 1 = hdmi 1 input, scene 2 =hdmi 2, etc, 3 = 3, 4 = 4, 5 = 5. Maybe 6 = phono. Nothing else, dont want volume set differently for each input etc etc

I've got the manual (pdf ) under this page, it says basically the same as the avr setup instructions, ie, select input, fine, but how??
On remote { < INPUT > }, push the right button enough times, HDMI 1 appears then 2, then 3, then 4, next, NOT HDMI 5, I cannot even find hdmi 5. push enough times & get back finally to hdmi1, hdmi 5 is nowhere to be found.

-c-
Using scenes is described in post 284 from @Otto Plyot. Haven’t tried it myself. Not sure it covers everything you were needing though.

cornemuse

cornemuse

Junior Audioholic
Using scenes is described in post 284 from @Otto Plyot.
Just more frustrating.

'Scene 2' is 'tuner', & I cannot change this for the life of me. Apparently, yAMAHA has decided that us drones want this setting, , , , ,

When attempting on screen/pdf/otto's instructions, things revert to (tuner) before I can press reset button (remote in my hand, thumb on the button). Maybe the writer was thinking in mandarin while writing in engrish, , , , ,

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Just more frustrating.

'Scene 2' is 'tuner', & I cannot change this for the life of me. Apparently, yAMAHA has decided that us drones want this setting, , , , ,

When attempting on screen/pdf/otto's instructions, things revert to (tuner) before I can press reset button (remote in my hand, thumb on the button). Maybe the writer was thinking in mandarin while writing in engrish, , , , ,
This is one feature that I haven’t tried. I’m unsure if maybe it makes more sense from the web interface than the remote though.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Maybe @3db csn explain how scenes are setup in the Yamaha. I noticed this morning he mentioned he was setting up scenes on his RXA3060.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord

-c-
What Iv learned is to setup your inputs, and other settings the way you wznt it, then press and hold scene until it says set. I strongly suggest renaming your inputs to the function you intended it for..ie bluray, xbox, etc. You should also be able to rename the scenes as well in setup. Like renaming the input, you navigate to the scene or input and then press the up arrow which will open the menu for the scene when editing scene or input when editing inputs.

cornemuse

cornemuse

Junior Audioholic
What Iv learned is to setup your inputs, and other settings the way you wznt it, then press and hold scene until it says set. I strongly suggest renaming your inputs to the function you intended it for..ie bluray, xbox, etc. You should also be able to rename the scenes as well in setup. Like renaming the input, you navigate to the scene or input and then press the up arrow which will open the menu for the scene when editing scene or input when editing inputs.
I cannot setup my prefered input (to scene #2)

A lot of settings yes, rename, yes, (I did), I cannot change input from "tuner" to hdmi 2. i cant change input from 'tuner' to anything else . So far 'scene' # 2, no matter what its renamed to is, input is 'tuner'

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I cannot setup my prefered input (to scene #2)

A lot of settings yes, rename, yes, (I did), I cannot change input from "tuner" to hdmi 2. i cant change input from 'tuner' to anything else . So far 'scene' # 2, no matter what its renamed to is, input is 'tuner'
On my AVR, tuner is a scene onto itself because a) the tuner is a built in facility that doesnt depend on any inputs from external sources. b) It only outputs to the speakers, not HDMI. Its like a built in app like a music streaming service. You cannot change the "tuner" scene. However, you should be able to change scene 2 .

To say it another way, you should have a "tuner" scene and a "scene2" scene. Maybe they have the same name so go into the settings to see if the scene controls are set differently. The tuner scene cannot be altered but scene2 can be.

Our AVRs are different and maybe their operation is too but if its not, what I said above holds true.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The manual (p 88/89) does indicate a preset of tuner for scene 2, but sure seems like you should be able to change it. Maybe a reset of the unit is in order?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis