Y spliter causing 60z "Hum"

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Ok, I had a brilliant idea to run 2 subwoofers (see sig) at a time, cause my brother rarely uses the one I gave him. He's ok with it as long as he gets his when he wants.

I got a new subwoofer cable for the subwoofer in the back of the room, and got a spliter piece making one male RCA into 2 RCA females. I got it all hooked up, and justed the volume on the rear subwoofer to hear a "hum" that got louder and louder with the volume. I have experienced this before, but it was from the cable making a bad connection.

If I giggle it, the hum stays, but theres ONE spot where it goes away. The connection isn't loose, its not that.

Anyone know how I can fix this? Do I have to buck up for a more expensive Y splitter from Monster?

If your solution solves the problem, CHICKLETS! :D

SheepStar

Last edited:
mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Sheep said:
Ok, I had a brilliant idea to run 2 subwoofers (see sig) at a time, cause my brother rarely uses the one I gave him. He's ok with it as long as he gets his when he wants.

I got a new subwoofer cable for the subwoofer in the back of the room, and got a spliter piece making one male RCA into 2 RCA females. I got it all hooked up, and justed the volume on the rear subwoofer to hear a "hum" that got louder and louder with the volume. I have experienced this before, but it was from the cable making a bad connection.

If I giggle it, the hum stays, but theres ONE spot where it goes away. The connection isn't loose, its not that.

Anyone know how I can fix this? Do I have to buck up for a more expensive Y splitter from Monster?

If your solution solves the problem, CHICKLETS! :D

SheepStar
I bet it is one of the connections though. Using that Y adapter, plug one side in and see if the hum is there. Unplug and plug the other side in and check. Do this with one sub, then the other.

When you jiggled to connection and went away would be an indication of a connector or a cold solder joint perhaps.

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
Yeah I agree it must be a connection (wire or solder problem)
If you want Sheep, I will send you a Monster Cable Y splitter.
You just pay for shipping (probably 3.00 to Canada)
I'm serious, so if you want it and or need it just PM me.
Call it a Christmas present. Granted its an overpriced Monster Cable crapola..
But it works fine.......

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
brian32672 said:
Yeah I agree it must be a connection (wire or solder problem)
If you want Sheep, I will send you a Monster Cable Y splitter.
You just pay for shipping (probably 3.00 to Canada)
I'm serious, so if you want it and or need it just PM me.
Call it a Christmas present. Granted its an overpriced Monster Cable crapola..
But it works fine.......
Thanks for the offer buddy, but its not that important for you to go through any trouble. I tried putting the Athena in the rear of my room right behind my chair. WOW, WOTW was much more intense then my previous experience. My chair shook like crazy when the tripod slammed his leg down on the ground.

SheepStar

Last edited:
mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
brian32672 said:
Granted its an overpriced Monster Cable crapola..
But it works fine.......
It may have been over priced when you bought it but now, he will have it almost free, what a deal:D

SilverMK3

SilverMK3

Audioholic
Are the subwoofers plugged into different power outlets? It could be a ground loop.

G

gcmarshall

Full Audioholic
sheep-

did you get your "hum" to go away. as you saw in my post about possibly adding a 2nd sub, i was considering doing this too. but, i hesitate if it tends to create problems like you "hum" problem. have you resolved that yet and, if so, how?

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
gcmarshall said:
sheep-

did you get your "hum" to go away. as you saw in my post about possibly adding a 2nd sub, i was considering doing this too. but, i hesitate if it tends to create problems like you "hum" problem. have you resolved that yet and, if so, how?
I used a stupid cheaper adapter, not a cable. Thats why I was having a problem.

SheepStar

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis