y adaptors for subwoofers

G

gumbeelee

Audiophyte
i do not know if this it true or not but someone told me if you use a y adaptor running from you amp to your subwoofer you would get better performance from your sub. will this really work or not? thanks for your time.

thank you ,

gumbeelee

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
i do not know if this it true or not but someone told me if you use a y adaptor running from you amp to your subwoofer you would get better performance from your sub. will this really work or not? thanks for your time.

thank you ,

gumbeelee
I would say yeah if the extra connector on the Y was hooked up to a second sub woofer :D

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Check with the manufacturer. If your sub isn't turning off while in use then you probably don't need it.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
Depends on the sub and the wiring. I know with my older velodyne that you need both the L and R as it has no LFE and is dual voice coil.

Brian_the_King

Brian_the_King

Full Audioholic
It has more or less been said already, but depending on how a sub is wired the amplitude of the signal coming in to it may get a decent boost with a Y adapter.

ratso

ratso

Full Audioholic
i think you get a 3 db. boost with rythmik if using a Y connector according to them.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
exactly the same as adding a few db's to the LFE channel on your receiver.

wow! free output!

M

miniSQ

Junior Audioholic
I had it explained to me a little different, but maybe with the same result as what has been said here.

It is dependent on the output voltage of the AVR, and the input voltage requirement of the subwoofer amp.

By using a Y cable and connecting to both the left and right channel of the sub amp you are in effect. potentially giving the subwoofer amp more signal.

The question is do you need to do this, or is the subwoofer amp getting enough signal with just running to the right channel ( or left).

IOW...it has nothing to do with the woofer itself, and there is no way you would get a 3db boost...but you might get something measurable.

again this is i believe how it was explained to me by marantz tech support, and i may have misunderstood...so don't shoot hte messenger.

E

Ed Mullen

Manufacturer
The Y splitter adds 6 dB via a voltage summer circuit. So if you don't recalibrate after adding the Y splitter, the subwoofer will be running 6 dB hot, which is a doubling of the acoustic output.

The device - in and of itself - cannot increase subwoofer performance obviously. You can obtain the same effect by cranking up your subwoofer channel level 6 dB.

The only real benefit of a Y-splitter is to overcome a sleepy auto-on circuit without having to resort to running an excessively hot subwoofer channel level at the pre/pro.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
The only good Y-splitters are the AS-EQ and the DCX....

L

LimiterOne

Enthusiast
The Y splitter adds 6 dB via a voltage summer circuit. So if you don't recalibrate after adding the Y splitter, the subwoofer will be running 6 dB hot, which is a doubling of the acoustic output.

The device - in and of itself - cannot increase subwoofer performance obviously. You can obtain the same effect by cranking up your subwoofer channel level 6 dB.

The only real benefit of a Y-splitter is to overcome a sleepy auto-on circuit without having to resort to running an excessively hot subwoofer channel level at the pre/pro.
Hi Ed, the way I understand it, adding the Y splitter essentially doubles the input voltage, which I believe would raise the output power by 3db rather than 6db, correct?

Double the power or double the cone area, either gets you 3 db.

Thanks!

LO

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Hi Ed, the way I understand it, adding the Y splitter essentially doubles the input voltage, which I believe would raise the output power by 3db rather than 6db, correct?

Double the power or double the cone area, either gets you 3 db.

Thanks!

LO
That's kind of what I was thinking also. You would need a second separate sub to get +6dB. I know that Ed knows his stuff too though, so we'll see what he says :)

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis