XTZ Sound Room Analyzer II Pro Measurement Kit Review

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
When are you going to learn to free yourself from Apple products, they are not superior just because their marketing people make that claim.:)
No, they are superior because people who own Windows and Android products too still like their Apple products better.

Apple has marketing people? Really?

crossedover

crossedover

Audioholic Chief
No, they are superior because people who own Windows and Android products too still like their Apple products better.

Marketing Algorithms :p

When I switched to USB mic and HDMI from java and sound card, it took a couple of weeks to get it working right. The old way was up and running 2 days.

BTW Does no one dual boot anymore?

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member

I much prefer Windows 7. Apple just does not have the flexibility of Windows. However, that flexibility can also be a liability in ignorant hands. Apple is a great computer for people who do not like computers.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I much prefer Windows 7. Apple just does not have the flexibility of Windows. However, that flexibility can also be a liability in ignorant hands. Apple is a great computer for people who do not like computers.
Utter nonsense, Shady. I currently use a Win 7 client, a Win10 client, and I'm typing this on an iMac, I've been in the computing industry since 1980, and I prefer the iMac every time. That wasn't always the case, I used to be a Windows bigot, but it is now.

Fugazi

Fugazi

Enthusiast
So I used REW and a USB mic with my laptop. But I always wondered how accurate the tones generated will be from the laptop. My system sounds pretty good now, but I wonder if I am leaving some performance on the table. Anybody have any advice?

David C. Snyder

David C. Snyder

Enthusiast
So I used REW and a USB mic with my laptop. But I always wondered how accurate the tones generated will be from the laptop. My system sounds pretty good now, but I wonder if I am leaving some performance on the table. Anybody have any advice?
I recently purchased a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (gen2) digital audio interface for this purpose. I'll be using it with a calibrated Dayton EMM6 mic. This combo is fairly inexpensive and should result in more accurate measurements than are possible with an uncalibrated USB mic and the laptop's internal soundcard.

If you only intend to use this setup for system measurements, you can save $50 by going with the Focusrite Scarlett Solo. I occasionally like to make stereo recordings, so having two mic preamps was worth the extra $50 for me. :)

Fugazi

Fugazi

Enthusiast
I recently purchased a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (gen2) digital audio interface for this purpose. I'll be using it with a calibrated Dayton EMM6 mic. This combo is fairly inexpensive and should result in more accurate measurements than are possible with an uncalibrated USB mic and the laptop's internal soundcard.

If you only intend to use this setup for system measurements, you can save $50 by going with the Focusrite Scarlett Solo. I occasionally like to make stereo recordings, so having two mic preamps was worth the extra $50 for me. :)
Thanks for responding to my post. I should have said that the mic I am using IS calibrated. The issue that has me wondering is whether or not the sound card in my laptop is generating the frequencies accurately through the output of my laptop which is feeding into my pre-amp. Maybe this is something I should not worry about? I don't really know if modern soundcards do a good job of that or not. I am using REW and a Mini-DSP. REW settings for output are a sample rate of 48kHz, Java driver, midi enabled.

David C. Snyder

David C. Snyder

Enthusiast
Thanks for responding to my post. I should have said that the mic I am using IS calibrated. The issue that has me wondering is whether or not the sound card in my laptop is generating the frequencies accurately through the output of my laptop which is feeding into my pre-amp. Maybe this is something I should not worry about? I don't really know if modern soundcards do a good job of that or not. I am using REW and a Mini-DSP. REW settings for output are a sample rate of 48kHz, Java driver, midi enabled.
My mistake; I should not have mentioned the mic that I'm using.

If you're concerned about the quality of the sound card that's in your mac (and you probably should be), buy a Focusrite Scarlett Solo or 2i2.

Besides quality, the problem with your setup is that you're using two different clocks. There's one in the ADC that's built-in to your USB mic and a second one in the DAC chip in your laptop. Two unsynchronized clocks participating in an ADC/DAC is never great for accuracy.

P

Philip Grundner

Audiophyte
Once you measure your room with the XTZ Room Analyzer II, what are some ways we could actually apply the EQ? I have the Marantz SR5010, so there is not a lot of capability for that on the receiver.

David C. Snyder

David C. Snyder

Enthusiast
From what I can tell, the XTZ kit does not build EQ filters or provide a way to apply them. It just provides a way to measure your system's response before and after changes that you make yourself and compare to see if you're taking your system in the right direction. Those changes might include adjusting locations for the listening and speaker positions, moving other furniture, adding/adjusting room treatments, adjusting subwoofer settings (if applicable), or even setting the graphic equalizer or applying Audyssey® via your Marantz SR5010.

The tools it provides look pretty helpful, but Acourate from AudioVero combined with Roon from Roon Labs provides a more complete solution for actually building and applying room correction filters. Of course, it's best to get the room dialed-in as much as possible acoustically before messing with room correction. The XTZ kit could definitely be handy for that.

killbill13

killbill13

Full Audioholic
any good? Its recommended by my new subwoofer 12.17 edge.
Am i taking room analyzer ii pro at this price?
or use Rew with a mic is it the same? Never used any of this 2.
i like simplicity not difficult software

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis