XP MCE 2005 Vs Windows 7

harleyoz

harleyoz

Audioholic Intern
I'm currently running XP media center on my HTPC & it's up to the task at the moment, or so it seems. I have no experience with windows 7 at all & was wondering if there is any advantages / disadvantages to upgrading ?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm currently running XP media center on my HTPC & it's up to the task at the moment, or so it seems. I have no experience with windows 7 at all & was wondering if there is any advantages / disadvantages to upgrading ?
native ocur tuners (aka digital cable/fios) support for starters...

A

audit13

Audioholic Intern
I found that the image quality went up as soon as I loaded Win7. I was using an Ati 4550 when I upgraded to Win7 from XP MCE.

harleyoz

harleyoz

Audioholic Intern
was that TV image quality or blu rays as well? ...TV could be a good reason to upgrade

C

Cmd Cheyd

Enthusiast
There are definite advantages to upgrading. XP is now nearly 10 years old, support is being phased out. That means even critical security patches will no longer be produced for it unless you are a corporation with a multi-million dollar extended support contract directly with MS. And security is an issue for XP. Microsoft has upgraded the security model thrice since XP was initially released (once at XP SP2, again with Vista, and lastly with 7's release). There's also better codec support and MUCH nicer home networking support in Win7.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
Also if you are looking to upgrade but don't have the cache :))) you can always give Linux a shot....most of the popular distro's have support for booting the OS from a thumb drive, so you can try it out without touching your existing OS.

harleyoz

harleyoz

Audioholic Intern
Ok, good stuff to know thanks! I'm hesitating as I'm pretty sure I'd need to upgrade the whole PC along with it as its just fast enough now & I'm sure Win7 will consume a few extra resource, but if it gives me any trouble I'll have a crack at it anyway:)

davidtwotrees

davidtwotrees

Audioholic General
My computer guy really likes 7. He claims it is NOT a memory pig.

harleyoz

harleyoz

Audioholic Intern
That's good to know, I might try win 7 on a second drive & see how it goes , since drives are cheap nowadays:cool::)
Easy to change back it I need to .

audioAl

audioAl

Enthusiast
Up grade

Ok, good stuff to know thanks! I'm hesitating as I'm pretty sure I'd need to upgrade the whole PC along with it as its just fast enough now & I'm sure Win7 will consume a few extra resource, but if it gives me any trouble I'll have a crack at it anyway:)
Yes, you will need two gigs of ram at least to use Vista or windows 7.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis