XLR Outputs on home reciever!!

I

iohovah

Audiophyte
Can anyone give an idea of a few receivers that have a xlr output?
something that can be used as an overall av receiver (radio, many inputs outputs, hdmi possibly)

I have a pair of behringer studio monitors that I want to attempt to use as fronts in my surround setup and these monitors have built in amps with XLR and 1/4 inputs and I'm dieing to try these out but I can't seem to find anything under $1000 with XLR pre outs. I'm of course assuming XLR would be my best option in this situation.

Any help greatly appreciated

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
As another option, you could use cables with an XLR connector on one side and an RCA connector on the other, like these.

H

Highbar

Senior Audioholic
I'd go with Adam's advice. as finding a receiver with RCA pre-outs is pretty easy and there aren't alot of receivers with XLR outs. Here's oneA1HDCI:D:D:D

Yeah not really cheep but it has XLR's

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
I have an Onkyo Professional SC885 that has balanced/xlr outputs. The new 886 does too, but, you can find 885s pretty cheap.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Is there any audible benefit from using a rca to XLR cable if your receier doesn't have XLR outputs? For instance my new PB13-Ultra has XLR inputs, if I used one of those cables like Adam linked, would I notice any benefit over using regular rca cables?

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
Is there any audible benefit from using a rca to XLR cable if your receier doesn't have XLR outputs? For instance my new PB13-Ultra has XLR inputs, if I used one of those cables like Adam linked, would I notice any benefit over using regular rca cables?
Nah. With balanced cables you can lower the noise floor because they cancel out induced noise, but you won't notice an improvement in sound quality. In order to realize the benefit, there needs to be balanced gear on both sides. So, don't bother.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
It's quite common for equipment that features an XLR connection to not actually support balanced input without adding another device to make it do it. Basically it just makes the XLR a glorified connection with no advantage in audio in most cases.

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
Those replies just cleared up some of the smoke I too have been muddling through Thanks ..

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
It's quite common for equipment that features an XLR connection to not actually support balanced input without adding another device to make it do it. Basically it just makes the XLR a glorified connection with no advantage in audio in most cases.[/QUOT

If your processor and power amp have XLR connections is there and improvement or not?

Last edited:
MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
It's quite common for equipment that features an XLR connection to not actually support balanced input without adding another device to make it do it. Basically it just makes the XLR a glorified connection with no advantage in audio in most cases.[/QUOT

If your processor and power amp have XLR connections is there and improvement or not?
If you connect balanced equipment to balanced equipment (which uses XLR connectors), any induced noise will be cancelled out. So, you can lower your noise floor... which most people in a home don't have a problem with so its kinda negligible. Maybe some super-audiophile might be able to hear the reduction in emf or something, but, I sure can't

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
Fwiw just beacuse 2 sets of gear have xlr in/outs, it doesnt make them fully balanced. As stated there is gear on the market with xlr connections that are not balanced.

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
Fwiw just beacuse 2 sets of gear have xlr in/outs, it doesnt make them fully balanced. As stated there is gear on the market with xlr connections that are not balanced.
I do have switches in back of the power amp that say balanced and unbalanced, the processor I am not sure.

I

iohovah

Audiophyte
As another option, you could use cables with an XLR connector on one side and an RCA connector on the other, like these.
Thanks for the info didnt realize a cable like that even existed. Next question what is a good cheaper reciever that has pre outs that I could use in my situation? I see yamaha and onkyo have a few step above entry level recievers that have pre outs only for surround L and R and Sub. I wouldnt be able to change the surround outs to front would I? If not anything else that would be recommend would be appreciated.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis