XLR cables (entry level to middle of the road)

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
You do realize that them there cables are "Full-Range", right? I'd say that's a bargain at twice the price! /s

Of course, one would indeed have to pay twice the price for a usable set, because the price quoted is for a 3' pair!
For that price, they should be freaking voice-activated.

highfigh

highfigh

The "balanced" inputs, the xlr connectors, on the Mono amps aren't balanced, as I understand it... just xlr connectors.
Yes, we're seemingly used to referring to the cables as xlrs, but not the xlr connector that accepts the cable.;)
XLR is only the connectors- how it's addressed internally is up to the designers. If it's not called 'complementary balanced', 'differential balanced' or something that refers to the fact that pins 2 and 3 are opposite polarity, it's often called 'quasi-balanced'.

That's where the spec sheet matters.

highfigh

highfigh

Preaching to the choir. I'm all too aware of these clowns' more expensive offerings as well as many of the other cable charlatans....just disgusting.
A former customer ended up working at a high end stereo store and I made a comment about the AQ cables with batteries- he proceeded to talk about them as if the batteries matter and brought the price list out for me to see. After his comments, I said "I thought I taught you better". When I saw the margin, I was disgusted, but then, it just shows that their dealers are total whores.

highfigh

highfigh

Speaking of Power strips, I have a major fascination with Triplite Isobar/Isotel series. They are relatively inexpensive and able to help me out with annoying ground loop issue I used to have. They should pay me for how much I promote their products :)
I would address the ground loop (if that's really what it is) using other means. If it happens with XLR cables, try unbalanced- I had that situation at one house and since the power amp is more powerful than they would ever need, the loss of signal from the preamp is never going to be a problem but with unbalanced cables, the background is silent. I couldn't connect everything to the same outlet and the electrician didn't wire the theater the way I had asked, so I had to make do. Later in the project, he said "I wish this was 25 years ago" and when I asked why, he said "Because we wouldn't have to deal with this low voltage stuff". I reminded him that low voltage equipment has existed since the dawn of the telegraph.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I used to do Triplite, only switching it up with this new rig. Have APC now. (For my computer too.) Seems solid enough.
Problem with APC is their product quality varies quite a bit. Cheaper ones are nothing to write home about.
I do also have APC ups protecting my home little home lab. Funny enough same setup is controlled by APC PDU - a fancy way of saying power strip, except this one, can be controlled from a web interface and control each outlet (labeled of course) independently. I got it for free as part of colo decom, but retail this 8 outlet strip costs near $400....

R

rollinrocker

Audioholic
to the OP...I use Mogami studio gold xlr...50ft pair from amp to preamp. ear to the tweeters...dead silence. well made cables and very flexible...

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis