XLR Balanced Cable Choice

S

Sarius

Junior Audioholic
I'm getting an amp/preamp that used balanced XLR connections. I went to Blue Jeans Cable to look for the interconnects and find that they have two choices:

*Belden 1800F Balanced Audio Cable
(AES/EBU, low-capacitance, high-flex cable)

*Canare L-4E6S Star Quad Balanced Audio Cable
(Higher noise rejection, but with higher capacitance)

I tried to educate myself, but still have no feel for the trade-offs I'd be making by getting 'low-capacitance' or 'Higher noise rejection, but with higher capacitance'. The costs are close enough to identical as to make no difference at all. I figure I need about 2 foot interconnects.

Thanks for any help.

FLZapped

FLZapped

Audioholic
Sarius said:
I'm getting an amp/preamp that used balanced XLR connections. I went to Blue Jeans Cable to look for the interconnects and find that they have two choices:

I tried to educate myself, but still have no feel for the trade-offs I'd be making by getting 'low-capacitance' or 'Higher noise rejection, but with higher capacitance'. The costs are close enough to identical as to make no difference at all. I figure I need about 2 foot interconnects.

Thanks for any help.

For 2 feet, you don't need low capacitance or even star-quad unless you're in a known high "noise" environment - like down the street from a TV broadcast station.

-Bruce

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Shoot them an e-mail or call them and ask them what they think? My choice would be the less expensive of the two because XLR is already a very high quality connection and at that length I can't imagine it making much of a difference. Get slightly longer than you think to allow for moving components around - always a good thing.

Last edited:
H

HTHOLIC

Audioholic
Your hooking up a DVD player with XLR outputs, or music equipment? Xlr
equipment is low voltage unlike computer microphones, plese provide
more information.

Sarius said:

Thanks for any help.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
While XLR is not very common on HT gear, there are a number of (generally higher end) brands that do have XLR connections as an option. It appears he is looking to connect an amp to a preamp, which would be one of the places that this would be more likely to be found.

S

Sarius

Junior Audioholic
Sarius said:
I'm getting an amp/preamp that used balanced XLR connections.
j_garcia said:
While XLR is not very common on HT gear, there are a number of (generally higher end) brands that do have XLR connections as an option. It appears he is looking to connect an amp to a preamp, which would be one of the places that this would be more likely to be found.
Yes that would be my guess too.

S

Sarius

Junior Audioholic
j_garcia said:
Shoot them an e-mail or call them and ask them what they think? My choice would be the less expensive of the two because XLR is already a very high quality connection and at that length I can't imagine it making much of a difference. Get slightly longer than you thing to allow for moving components around - always a good thing.
Thanks, I did and they did reply. As you indicate it would appear that the choice is between negligible noise and insignificant capacitance at about the same price. Good point about a bit longer- I suppose there'd be no practical difference between 2 and 3 feet.

W

warnerwh

Full Audioholic
Being as they're so inexpensive I'd opt for the star quad. I only use 3' cables myself but when you have several items in your rack like me(8) then you have alot of power cords and keeping everything apart isn't that easy. For a few bucks the slightly better cable is worth it imo.

S

Sarius

Junior Audioholic
Thanks,

That is indeed what I did and the cables have arrived- Blue Jeans does nice work.

My new amp/preamp, a Parasound Halo A21 and P3 should be here next week and I can start the process of deluding myself into believing that they sound better after being exercised for about 100 hours.

johnny45

johnny45

Audioholic
my question is the same which should i get iv got the outlaw audio 976 receiver with 4v - 9v output via xlr preouts

connecting to my crown xli 800's for my fronts , center , sides , backs , aan to my Xls 1502 for my subs

my current xlrs that im using are the

Monoprice 3 Meter (10ft) 3-pin DMX Lighting and AES/EBU Cable

are these good enough or should i get some from BLUE JEANS an if so which

one would be better

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
The Monoprice will be just fine. Post #2 covers this.
Now if the interconnects were 100 meters long (300 feet) or near an old theatrical lighting system, we could consider those other options.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Neither will sound better and at 2', they aren't needed- unbalanced works fine as long as the equipment is grounded properly and equipotential.

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
Neither will sound better and at 2', they aren't needed- unbalanced works fine as long as the equipment is grounded properly and equipotential.
That is sometimes a big ask.
Especially if we include well designed input & output RCA stages and well designed RCA cables.
There are a lot of threads (in many forums) about RCA interconnect problems.

highfigh

highfigh

That is sometimes a big ask.
Especially if we include well designed input & output RCA stages and well designed RCA cables.
There are a lot of threads (in many forums) about RCA interconnect problems.
What's a big ask- making sure the equipment is equipotential? That's just part of installing it correctly and more people need to know about the requirements. It's not voodoo, it's good technical details. Using unbalanced lines in most equipment results in frequency response and noise specs that are good enough to make LoZ/balanced unnecessary- look at the specs for most new equipment and you'll see wider bandwidth and less noise than almost anything from the 1980s.

That said, best practice is to use cabling that won't limit the signal and Belden, Canare, Mogami & other well-known brands have been used by professionals for many decades. Just be skeptical of claims that seem too good to be true or if they sound outlandish.

Bad terminations don't care which kind of connector is used- they're all caused by bad prep and/or execution. It's not a matter of whether RCA plugs/jacks were used, it was caused by someone not making sure the equipment is grounded properly and yes, those ground studs on preamps and power amps are supposed to be used for this. If using them results in hum, blame the manufacturer.

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

Thanks,

That is indeed what I did and the cables have arrived- Blue Jeans does nice work.

My new amp/preamp, a Parasound Halo A21 and P3 should be here next week and I can start the process of deluding myself into believing that they sound better after being exercised for about 100 hours.
That's another piece of BS- cables don't change because a signal at the millivolts or one Volt level passed through. There's almost no current and any effect is negligible. They won't magically pass higher frequencies, better bass or 'creamier midrange' unless the previous cables were lacking in some aspect that would permit full range to pass. Guitar cables are notorious for limiting frequency response and when a new cables is used, the player will often discard it because it sounds different, but all they need to do is adjust their tone controls to make it sound the same, if they don't like full range coming through. Those can easily make a difference and I noticed how bad my old cables were when I changed to Planet Waves, which is what I use for AV systems when I need to make cables for an installation but even with the old ones, it sounded fine.

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
I tried to educate myself, but still have no feel for the trade-offs I'd be making by getting 'low-capacitance' or 'Higher noise rejection, but with higher capacitance'.
Low capacitance. http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm#differences

The whole point of XLR, in addition to being higher voltage for longer runs, is that the third line is an inverse of the main line so that noise is actively cancelled.

But it really won't matter regardless.

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm#differences
That page is about loudspeaker cables, not interconnects.

The whole point of XLR, in addition to being higher voltage for longer runs, is that the third line is an inverse of the main line so that noise is actively cancelled.
While most XLR interconnect output stages do have a higher signal level than RCA's it's not a requirement. Passive/impedance and some transformer outputs won't. But the possible higher signal level is not why balanced interconnects work better.
It's the two central conductors (pins 2 & 3) that are an inverse of each other and this is the reason why balanced interconnects are better.
While pin 1 acts only as the shield and is not part of the signal.

But it really won't matter regardless.
For simple systems with short interconnects, this is often true.

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm#differences
That page is about loudspeaker cables, not interconnects.
The difference between the two is amplitude.

When the cable holds and releases potential, that can cause issues.

While most XLR interconnect output stages do have a higher signal level than RCA's it's not a requirement. Passive/impedance and some transformer outputs won't. But the possible higher signal level is not why balanced interconnects work better.
Higher voltage on output stages is why the signal can travel greater distances without attenuation reducing DR towards 0.

It's the two central conductors (pins 2 & 3) that are an inverse of each other and this is the reason why balanced interconnects are better.
While most XLR interconnect output and input stages do send an inverted signal, some don't.

Both of these are about how the cable is used, no the cable itself.

Higher voltage is to address length of run.
Inverse signal is to perform active noise rejection.

Also: the connectors are generally better (offering positive locks and, in some cases, safe break-away as well as some level of sealing when connected.)

I'm pretty sure we are both on the same page.

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
Oh dear, oh dear.
The difference between the two is amplitude.
A power amplifier driving a low impedance loudspeaker is very different than an interconnect driving a 10,000 Ohm load. While some legacy and boutique power amplifiers had problems with high capacitance loads, amps with modern designs don't.

When the cable holds and releases potential, that can cause issues.
Audio cables just don't work that way. But sample and hold circuits do.

Higher voltage on output stages is why the signal can travel greater distances without attenuation reducing DR towards 0.
I have sometimes used interconnect cables that were 100 meters (300 feet) long or longer. The level loss was trivial.

Higher voltage is to address length of run.
No.
Inverse signal is to perform active noise rejection.
Yes.

Also: the connectors are generally better (offering positive locks and, in some cases, safe break-away as well as some level of sealing when connected.)
Yes. especially the Neutrik & Switchcraft ones.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis