Mr MoUnTaInMaN

Mr MoUnTaInMaN

Audiophyte
I am thinking of getting a new DVD player and i was looking at the Denon 1920 but I was also thinking of a xbox 360 what are some opinons on the 360 for video and sound quality I know it won't play SACD but i don't own any thats why I started at the 360 and the 360 is so much more than just a DVD player.

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
well the 360 is capable of playing dvd's, I'm not sure if its going to give you the greatest in audio/video quality, but if what you really want is a good excuse to pick up an Xbox and your self justification is that it can play dvds too, then I say go for it.

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
Playstation 2 is alot cheaper.

D

doomguardian

Audioholic
Forget about both of those consoles, the PS3 will come out in September this year, supporting Blu-Ray, and 7.1 3D sound processing from the Cell CPU.

I think PS3 has DTS also?

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
doomguardian said:
Forget about both of those consoles, the PS3 will come out in September this year, supporting Blu-Ray, and 7.1 3D sound processing from the Cell CPU.

DTS:HD! :D

SheepStar

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
doomguardian said:

well, the only problem with that is that it may come out this year, and who wants to wait that long to watch dvds in the first place

Mr MoUnTaInMaN

Mr MoUnTaInMaN

Audiophyte
Spiffyfast said:
well, the only problem with that is that it may come out this year, and who wants to wait that long to watch dvds in the first place
Thanks for the replies but how well does the 360 play dvd's its capable of 1080i and I heard there will be an HD-DVD drive coming out soon no doubt to compete with PS3's blue ray drive so I am not worried about it being out dated. Have you compared it to your DVD player?

xboxweasel

xboxweasel

Full Audioholic
Not sure about the 360, but the original xbox did not do a very good job playing back DVDs. I got a better picture and sound from a cheap DVD player.

And I am not sure that the 360 upscales the video when playing back a DVD. It only supports 720P and 1080i for games.

jbo247

jbo247

Audioholic Intern
i have the 360 and it does not upscale current dvds to 720p or 1080i but they are making hd-dvd players for the 360 this year which will upscale as you know. the 360 hd gaming is very nice i've had it since day 1 and do not regret waiting 9 hours to get it. the 5.1 surround works great and the movies look good just don't upscale.i wouldn't put my money on blu-ray do to the price and ps3 would be nice but $600-900 for the system will blow

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
jbo247 said:
i have the 360 and it does not upscale current dvds to 720p or 1080i but they are making hd-dvd players for the 360 this year which will upscale as you know. the 360 hd gaming is very nice i've had it since day 1 and do not regret waiting 9 hours to get it. the 5.1 surround works great and the movies look good just don't upscale.i wouldn't put my money on blu-ray do to the price and ps3 would be nice but $600-900 for the system will blow
I read somewhere that it will cost Sony around $900 to produce them, thats with no markup. That's probably why we wont see the ps3 for awhile until the costs come down. I say just go pack a decent, dvd player in the sub $200 dollar range, and then wait a few months to a year to find out who is going to win the HiDef dvd race.

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
I read somewhere that it will cost Sony around $900 to produce them,
And I read Sony could sell a Blu*Ray computer drive for $29 and make a profit doing it.

The truth is, we won't know what they will cost, or how much Sony will be making off them until they arrive in stores. Samsung made a BRD/HDDVD combo player for $500 (before they shelved it due to then not-mandatory HDMI 1.3 & HDCCP) and I assume Samsung was going to make money off the deal.

Unless this "cell processor" costs $700 each, I don't think the PS3 could cost consumers $900. But again, nobody can know for sure till they start selling them, we have to wait & see.

jbo247

jbo247

Audioholic Intern
yeah the bad thing is blu-ray so i've read will not play old dvds but hd-dvd will play old dvds and the pioneer blu-ray player will run 1800 dollars ouch

J

Jedi2016

Full Audioholic
jbo247 said:
yeah the bad thing is blu-ray so i've read will not play old dvds but hd-dvd will play old dvds and the pioneer blu-ray player will run 1800 dollars ouch
1) Blu-Ray players will play DVDs. The BDA has been very clear about this since the format was first announced. It was part of their very first FAQ.

2) The Pioneer BD player is the Elite top-of-the-line unit, and should not be used as any kind of basis for BD player pricing. Middle-line and bottom-of-the-barrel units will be comparably priced to the same-level HD-DVD players, which range between $500-800.

Chances are the PS3 will be the cheapest BD player when it launches, but like all game consoles, will probably suffer from being not very good. But it'll tide me over just fine until the set-top prices drop.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis