xbox 360 surround sound hook up

N

nighthawk

Audiophyte
Im have problems hooking up my xbox 360 to my surround sound. I have a 50 inch samsung plasma t.v., a panasonic dvd home theatre sound system( model sc-ht744) and a xbox 360. I have the basic cables it come with (the xbox 360) and a monster digital fibre optic cable. If some one could help me get the surround sound working for playing games it would be much appreciated. Thanks

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
Once you have your 360 component cables plugged in you will also need to have the optical cable plugged in. Then go into your xbox's option menu and under sound options choose the appropriate setting. Surround and/or that you have the optical cable. With this set up you will only need the 3 components plugged into your tv/receiver and the optical cable plugged in as well.

If this doesn't work are you running both the audio and video through the receiver? If so are you getting any sound or stereo. If you aren't getting any you need to tell the receiver to pair the optical input to the video one.

My suggestion would be run the video to your TV and the optical to your receiver and just set the receiver to the optical setting and then once you have your xbox with the right settings it will work fine.

This might help: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/systemsetup/xbox360/console/digitalaudio.htm

N

nighthawk

Audiophyte
i dont think my reciever has a spot for the optical cable. is it ok to run the optical cable to the tv?

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
You won't be able to get surround if you run the optical to the tv since the audio signal is being sent to the tv speakers and not your surrounds. Looking at your manual it looks like you are out of luck because the receiver does not have an optical input you won't be able to get surround without upgrading.

N

nighthawk

Audiophyte
is there any other type cable etc... that an hook up surround sound?

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
Nothing else is supported by the 360 but TosLink optic cable and it doesn't look like your receiver would support anything else anyways.

N

nighthawk

Audiophyte
thanks for your help
one more thing
in your oppinion do u think its worth it to upgrade my reciever soi can gam with surround sound ( if so what do you suggest for a reciever, not to expensive )

obscbyclouds

obscbyclouds

Senior Audioholic
I think it's definately worth the DD 5.1 sound for games. There are tons of recievers out there to do what you need. What are you looking to spend? (i.e. what is not too expensive?)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis