davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Spartan
Today is Tuesday, October 1. Five long weeks remain until Election Day.

This time, we all know that Election Day won't settle anything as long as The Orange Peril's teams of lawyers, MAGA hordes, and US Supreme Court are willing to interfere.

Does any one want to place a bet that this won't happen?
Nope.This will become extremely messy as Trump will go scorched earth if he loses.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Who is John Hinzle?
I had the same question when I saw it myself, but my guess is that the name is German sounding and refers to the German 1938 election with 2024 to the US election for President. As seen on the head stone.

Last edited:
D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan

>>>In 2020, a contribution made by Meta CEO Mark Zuckerberg’s private foundation to an organization that planned to provide grants to elections officials was cast as a devious effort to turn out more Democrats. Zuckerberg was broadly pilloried on the right despite the lack of evidence that the donations aided Democrats or even were meant to aid Democrats. Yet there’s no outcry for X owner Elon Musk’s explicit effort to use his platform (known four years ago as Twitter) on Trump’s behalf.

Musk has received only praise from Trump allies for explicitly endorsing the former president and for his support of a political action committee, America PAC, that aims to turn out Republican voters by paying people to help identify targets. Musk’s activity on behalf of Trump goes far, far further than anything Zuckerberg did, including massive (quiet) funding of right-wing efforts in 2022 and (loud) pledges to do more in 2024. X took over the platform’s handle @America and handed it to the PAC to explicitly promote Trump’s candidacy.

Nor did Republicans express outrage at Musk shutting down the account of reporter Ken Klippenstein. Klippenstein obtained and published a report that was allegedly part of the vetting process for Trump’s running mate, Sen. JD Vance (R-Ohio). Soon after, his account on X was shut down for sharing private information — “doxing” Vance, in the vernacular.

The information was allegedly stolen from a Trump aide by hackers in Iran. The reason that the story about Biden’s son Hunter was limited for several hours in October 2020 was concern that the information in the article was a function of Russian hacking, as information made public shortly before the 2016 election had been. The muffling of the Hunter Biden story (which, despite slanted polling, almost certainly had no effect on the election) became a central element of the right’s insistence that social media companies were censoring their politics. The response to Klippenstein’s ongoing ban has been silence.

Musk’s purchase of Twitter was in part a reflection of his sharing a widespread belief on the right, one that predated the 2020 election, that the company specifically and social media companies broadly were intentionally censoring conservative users. The companies argued that they were, instead, reducing abuse and misinformation, with some prominent conservative users affected.

That argument was clearly robust from the outset, but it has been bolstered by recent research demonstrating that right-wing users were more likely to share false claims on social media. If the social media company implements limits on sharing false claims, those users would be more likely to be affected — which, the research suggests, they were. Once Musk bought Twitter, those limits were largely abandoned, allowing false information to spread. Information that still often emanates from the right and that is still often offered in service to Trump’s political goals.

To use the parlance of the right, X has now been “rigged” in favor of Trump, just as voting in Georgia has been. If Trump wins next month’s election, Harris supporters will have a ready-made excuse for why that election was illegitimate. Except, of course, that Harris is very unlikely to be promoting the idea that it was. And except that there’s no evidence that such “rigging” would have much effect this year any more than it did four years ago.<<<

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I finally filled out my ballot. Tomorrow I'll go drop it off.
That was back on Sept 27.

About a week ago, maybe Oct 1, I got a text message from the State Election Board saying they have my ballot. However, state law prevents them from opening the envelope and counting my votes until after polls close on Election Day, Nov 5. Apparently, they collect all mail-in ballots until they decide if these votes are needed to determine the outcome. Then and only then do they count those ballots. They are identical paper ballots as used on election day, all read by scanners. In 2020, an estimated 40% of all votes in Maryland were mailed-in.

That's another archaic election procedure that must change.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
That was back on Sept 27.

About a week ago, maybe Oct 1, I got a text message from the State Election Board saying they have my ballot. However, state law prevents them from opening the envelope and counting my votes until after polls close on Election Day, Nov 5. Apparently, they collect all mail-in ballots until they decide if these votes are needed to determine the outcome. Then and only then do they count those ballots. They are identical paper ballots as used on election day, all read by scanners. In 2020, an estimated 40% of all votes in Maryland were mailed-in.

That's another archaic election procedure that must change.
That's bizarre. That's tantamount to saying, "your vote doesn't count unless its mathematically required".

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
That's bizarre. That's tantamount to saying, "your vote doesn't count unless its mathematically required".
It must be left over from the days when there were fewer mail-in ballots – maybe 5% or less than the total vote. These so-called Absentee Ballots were only allowed for reasons of travel, military service, or ill health. That all changed once wide-spread mail-in ballots were permitted. Those old Absentee Ballots were paper ballots which required a manual tally. The usual votes, paper or punch card, were immediately counted electronically on election day. Now, every vote is counted electronically the same way.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
agreed, I like the old fashion way, in person !
I have no problem with mail-in ballots. And, I believe they should all be counted, whether they make a mathematical difference, or not.

It's easier for the disabled and better for the immunocompromised who shouldn't be stuck in crowds. I have voted by mail while deployed out of the country during elections.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
I have no problem with mail-in ballots. And, I believe they should all be counted, whether they make a mathematical difference, or not.
From a psychological point of view they should be counted even when the outcome is clear. I for sure understand the economy point of view of not counting them to save money, but they miss the point that elections are vital parts of our democracies so essential “cost of doing business” (to use their terms).

So I’m quite skeptical of the drive of online voting but without a paper trail that is such in vogue in several Western countries.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis