Xbox 360 Cable question

T

THX_5.1

Enthusiast
Long time reader, first time poster. Love the site.
I have an Xbox 360 and I am running 16' of Component cable to my Projector. I am noticing a faint green line that runs up the screen. I don't see it on bright images but dark areas of the screen it is highly noticable especially in black and white movies (Sin City and parts of Corpse Bride) and during night scenes in call of duty 2. I don't notice this when the same cable is hooked up to my original xbox or my dvd player. So my question is do I replace the cable or do I go with VGA cable from the projector directly to the 360. Will this make it look better worse indifferent, as far as using vga over component?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
THX_5.1 said:
Long time reader, first time poster. Love the site.
I have an Xbox 360 and I am running 16' of Component cable to my Projector. I am noticing a faint green line that runs up the screen. I don't see it on bright images but dark areas of the screen it is highly noticable especially in black and white movies (Sin City and parts of Corpse Bride) and during night scenes in call of duty 2. I don't notice this when the same cable is hooked up to my original xbox or my dvd player. So my question is do I replace the cable or do I go with VGA cable from the projector directly to the 360. Will this make it look better worse indifferent, as far as using vga over component?

A couple of basic questions since I don't know the ins and outs of the xbox. Can the video out from it be calibrated with internal menu options?
Was the projector calibrated properly?
Do you have cable TV hooked up to this setup? If this is so, unplug it and see what happens with that green line.

P

POSEIDON

Audiophyte
Maybe Cables

First I am a big Xbox fan, specially the 360 second I also am a A/V installer so I have a little bit of experience.

My first guess would be the cables. Most likely it could be a connector. Did you buy the cable or have it made? Do you get the same green line on other sources? If you can try swapping out the cable as a test (if that is possible).

I believe the Xbox 360 is 720p native resolution, when I used it on my 1080i tv it doesn't look as sharp, clear and color isn't as good as on the 720p LCD. Did you try a different input on the projector. Try switching between 720 and 1080 it might fix it.

I can't imagine the vga being a better connection because some vga inputs don't have as high a resolution. Check that out. I think componet is your best choice.

Good luck

P.S.

I have notice I am not impressed at all with the picture for DVDs. I have a 200 dollar pioneer dvd player that looks better! I still love my Xbox 360, and the HD DVD will look great I am sure!

WndrBr3d

WndrBr3d

Full Audioholic
Just a note

The 360 doesn't have a 'native resolution'. The game developers set resolution is independent of the output.

Some games are developed in 1080i (1920x1080, mostly XBox Live Arcade Games), others at 720p (1280 x 720). The XBox was designed to output -any- resolution independent of that the game actually renders in. This is done using a separate video scaler, where as in the original Xbox, the game was rendered at 480p/i (640x480) no matter what, with no video scaling.

Your XBox360 should be set to output the native resolution FOR YOUR DISPLAY. For my Mitsu, that'd be 1080i. For POSEIDON's LCD, that'd be 720p. :)

wolfsrun

wolfsrun

Enthusiast
WndrBr3d, how does the X-box 360 look on your mitsubishi? Do you have the diamond series? I ask becasue I have the 55 inch with only 1080i (no 720p and the TV won't upconvert through composite). Assuming you have the 360 connected through composite cables and set to only display 1080i, how does this look in reality?

Thanks!

WndrBr3d

WndrBr3d

Full Audioholic
wolfsrun said:
WndrBr3d, how does the X-box 360 look on your mitsubishi? Do you have the diamond series? I ask becasue I have the 55 inch with only 1080i (no 720p and the TV won't upconvert through composite). Assuming you have the 360 connected through composite cables and set to only display 1080i, how does this look in reality?

Thanks!
I also have the 55' Mitsu (non diamond series) and the 360 looks great!

I have it connected via component and have the output set to 1080i. The visual games like Kameo and Need for Speed MW look the best! Some other aspects of the xbox, such as it's visualization while playing mp3s looks stunning as well in HD.

T

THX_5.1

Enthusiast
It was a cable issue. I replaced them with a vga cable and a new set of the same component cables just to see if there was a difference. there wasn't a noticable difference but the green lines are gone and the picture is really sharp. Looks Great :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis