Xbox 360 audio questions

M

minuteman

Audiophyte
I'm an avvid gamer and I want to get the best possible sound from my setup but I need some help. I'm running the sound through my stereo currently.

I have:
an Xbox 360
Elite Audio 6040 (EA 6040) 5.1 speakers A link http://www.eliteaudiosound.com/images/6040.jpg

I want to run play my games in 5.1 surround sound and watch DVDs in 5.1. The cables for the xbox have the standard RCA connectors and an extra line to run a Toslink cable for digital audio. The EA 6040 only has 5.1 analog connections for surround sound. Can I run the Toslink to the 5.1 analog somehow? Is it possible to get digital 5.1 surround sound using the EA 6040?

My next question then would be; should I set the xbox for digital using the Dolby 5.1 or analog using the dobly pro logic II?

My other question: I've seen games (Oblivion) that feature in-game Dolby digital and I've read all 360 games must support at least six channel Dolby Digital surround sound using optical output (from wikipedia): Is there a difference? DOes one game sound better than others?

I'm open to suggestions or options. I have limited knowledge of speakers. By the way, I'm new here. Hello everyone and thank you for any help.

J

JonBaker99

Audioholic
Ummm...If you dont have any digital inputs on the reciever (I am assuming the connections all run to the back of the sub juding from the picture) then you are pretty much out of luck. I am really hoping that you didn't pay anywhere near that price for that system. I am just going to go out on a limb and ask but you didn't purchase that system from a retail store did you? I am seeing vans and parking lots and guys who purchased too many systems by accident and had to get rid of them before they went back to the "Office".

Your best bet is probably going to be connecting it up using standard red/white stereo adui connections and letting dolby prologic II take over. It's not true digital sound but probably your only option.

On the plus side I checked out ebay and these systems are all over ebay for about $200. That is a monster savings from the $3199 list price. :D

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
minuteman said:
I'm an avvid gamer and I want to get the best possible sound from my setup but I need some help. I'm running the sound through my stereo currently.

I have:
an Xbox 360
Elite Audio 6040 (EA 6040) 5.1 speakers A link http://www.eliteaudiosound.com/images/6040.jpg

I want to run play my games in 5.1 surround sound and watch DVDs in 5.1.
You'll need to go to BestBuy/CircuitCity/Sears and buy a HTiB for about $300.

Can I run the Toslink to the 5.1 analog somehow?
No
Is it possible to get digital 5.1 surround sound using the EA 6040?
You'll need a device that can decode DD/DTS. Some DVD players can do this. XBox cannot
My next question then would be; should I set the xbox for digital using the Dolby 5.1 or analog using the dobly pro logic II?
If you buy a real reciever with optical (Toslink) digital imputs: use Dolby Digital. If you buy a stereo reciever and hook-up the XBox with the red & white RCA cables, use Dolby Pro*Logic2

B

BostonMark

Audioholic
and PLEASE

before you buy a system to replace that "Elite" system, please please check with all of us first, everyone here can help you get a lot more audio bang for your buck!

M

minuteman

Audiophyte
THank you for the help

My brother bought the speakers for a $100. The van was black not white. Thankx for the help.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis