XBMC/Kodi - do you get 7.1 DTS-HD on your systems?

D

david rogers

Audiophyte
If your graphics card has hdmi output that's what you should be using not xfi sound card.
So waspi and your graphics card. so it will come with waspi or asio both will do the same trick.
If your graphics does not have hdmi you can buy one for about $30.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I definitely see DTS-HD MA 7.1 on Kodi.

Did I already say I love XBMC/Kodi? :D

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Gotta confess, while Kodi is still undisputed king for some features (like HD audio and ISO support, plugins etc...)
I find myself using Plex much more nowadays - it does absolutely amazing job finding meta-data and keeping everything sorted just right.

Mobile streaming and web client support and continue to watch from same place on any device - this one is massive for me. It's super easy to set up.

As for Kodi, well - it's going nowhere from my living room, I just use Plex plugin for kodi :)

D

david rogers

Audiophyte
Yes i receive 7.1 dts hd and Dolby on my system. media pc , hdmi out from the graphic card to av amp.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Gotta confess, while Kodi is still undisputed king for some features (like HD audio and ISO support, plugins etc...)
I find myself using Plex much more nowadays - it does absolutely amazing job finding meta-data and keeping everything sorted just right.

Mobile streaming and web client support and continue to watch from same place on any device - this one is massive for me. It's super easy to set up.

As for Kodi, well - it's going nowhere from my living room, I just use Plex plugin for kodi :)
You mean Kodi can't stream as well via WiFi?

I use all Enternet/wire connections and I can watch the same movie (different start time) concurrently on 5 different PCs w/ Kodi.

Plex doesn't support DTS-HD or Dolby TrueHD like Kodi?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
You mean Kodi can't stream as well via WiFi?

I use all Enternet/wire connections and I can watch the same movie (different start time) concurrently on 5 different PCs w/ Kodi.

What Kodi can't do is watch same movie on one device. Pause. continue from same place in another room.
I didn't meant wifi streaming, I mean Plex can stream over 4g - with adjustable bitrate to support various network speeds
Plex MAY do HD Audio - I haven't tried, I know my Kodi does it for sure.

I also think that Kodi metadata scraper is much better out of the box than Kodi's, but Kodi's is more flexible :)

Lulimet

Lulimet

Full Audioholic
Plex is good if you have portable devices.

Plex Home Theater installed in a Windows PC does, but as far as I know Plex on streaming boxes can't do HD audio. Hell, it doesn't even do plain DD 5.1 on the Fire TV and the Plex team don't give a poop to fix their crap. It's the reason why I stopped using it.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

Plex Home Theater installed in a Windows PC does, but as far as I know Plex on streaming boxes can't do HD audio. Hell, it doesn't even do plain DD 5.1 on the Fire TV and the Plex team don't give a poop to fix their crap. It's the reason why I stopped using it.
Kodi gives me more than I can hope for. I'm just ecstatic. 1080p, DTS-HD MA 7.1, Dolby TrueHD 7.1, the ability to stream to 5+ PCs from a single PC/server. I'm 100% satisfied.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I was exploring KODI again last night and I used it to access my media fiels from teh attached USB drive on the WD from my Samsung tablet. I was able to get the album artwork displayed for my music collection but I was not able to get the artwork worked displayed for my DVDs ripped to ISO format. The one thing I was able to do with KODI was to access the DVD menu and select options, jump to scenes, etc. Has anyone been able to successfully get movie and artist scrapers working successfully so that artwork and information pertaining to the artist or film are available for display?

D

Danny Boy

Audiophyte
What Kodi can't do is watch same movie on one device. Pause. continue from same place in another room.
Kodi can, but not by default. You need to setup MySQL on a single PC (usually your media server)

There are numerous sources to do this, but Kodi's own Wiki is the best to follow http ://kodi. wiki/view/MySQL (remove spaces)

(Sorry, I have less than 10 posts, so no links o_O)

A

Andrew08

Audioholic Intern
very old thread,
based on my experience

Intel GPU, I am talking about my Intel NUC, latest intel driver, no realtek, no sound on powerdvd, forgot to check my 30hz monitor refresh rate thing.

Nvidia card, 30hz monitor refresh rate, no sound, set to 23,24,50,60 and sound is back.

denon receiver bitstreaming, pure direct, only 2.1 channel if you set the sub to on, but if lpcm, puredirect will show multi channel pure direct and 7.1 is out, or you can set it to standard.
note: I heard a everyone said that no matter who did the decoding, everything will sound the same, but not for me, lpcm and pure direct means no audyssey but bitstreaming means audyssey engaged, lets not talk too much about this

receiver set to 5.1, if you set your receiver to 5.1 of course your 7.1 became 5.1

amd radeon card not tested.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
the "Best Match" option, but I had that on "Optimized"
One thing that I can't figure out is how to get 7.1 audio. !
The 'output assignment' needs to be "Fixed", not best match or optimized and just above that menu item is 'number of channels'.

You get there from Kodi's Power/Settings/System/Audio menu.

I just had the same issue and was actually too lazy to ask the same question.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
it's really Easy

0) make sure the skin is default - Confluence - if you don't know what it means - it's probably stock Confluence :)
a) Settings -> System -> Settings Level - change to expert
b) Audio output -> Number of channels, output config-> best match, Enable pass-thru- Enable.
c) enable codecs your avr supports

Oh ... I see that best match also works.

Should I enable ac3 and e-ac3 at the same time. My rec'r is an old yammy 663 and I'm not sure what it supports.

Changing to the Expert setting requires a left click while on the Audio option. Weird.

Anyways ...

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Don't enable e-ac3 unless your yammi supports dolby digital plus

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I guess it must. I set the Sound and Display menu of the firebox to dd+ over hdmi and in the Kodi settings I have ac3 disabled and only e-ac3 enabled. So far so good.

I'm about a couple of weeks into this and can't believe what this thing does. It's beyond anything I ever thought possible.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Course correction: Disabling Stereo Upmixing really showed me where I was at with this thing. DD over HDMI and Fixed Output Assignment gets me 5.1 ... finally.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Plex is also great if you have an old or low-end HTPC or streaming devices because most of the decoding/transcoding work is done on your Plex server. That assumes that you have a server and that the server has enough power to do the heavy lifting. Even with gigabit ethernet, I found that Plex on even the latest Roku boxes struggled with BDs until I upgraded to a Pentium-based server. Plex on my NVIDIA ShieldTV just works.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Plex is also great if you have an old or low-end HTPC or streaming devices because most of the decoding/transcoding work is done on your Plex server. That assumes that you have a server and that the server has enough power to do the heavy lifting. Even with gigabit ethernet, I found that Plex on even the latest Roku boxes struggled with BDs until I upgraded to a Pentium-based server. Plex on my NVIDIA ShieldTV just works.
You're correct but It also depends. In geek terms, If the media device used for playback (ie: Roku box - depends on gen) doesn't support the format natively, then It must be transcoded for that you do need something with a bit more oomph. My freenas/plex server has core i3 cpu, chosen specifically for occasional transcoding and low power
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i3-3220T+@+2.80GHz

side note: looking thru the list of mid-range cpus and their performance - it becomes crystal clear that without such site, trying to figure out what is estimated performance of a given CPU just based on model number/frequency, is absolutely hopeless.
Both Intel and AMD are guiting of shitty marketing/branding schemes, which do not correlate to performance in any shape.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I guess it must. I set the Sound and Display menu of the firebox to dd+ over hdmi and in the Kodi settings I have ac3 disabled and only e-ac3 enabled. So far so good.

I'm about a couple of weeks into this and can't believe what this thing does. It's beyond anything I ever thought possible.
with my new founded knowledge - set both DD and DD+ to be passthru (ie : AVR supports both)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis