Xantech MRAUDIO8x8 Multi-Zone Amplifier/Controller

Haoleb

Haoleb

Audioholic Field Marshall
Ok so this is about half a review, and Half just to let people know what kind of products there are out for Multi-room audio. And having installed probably 15 of these so far I can say without a doubt this is one of the best systems out. Ive also worked alot with Elan's S12 and S6 systems and while they are nicer looking I have found them to be very unreliable and would not reccomend.

Xantech makes an entire lineup of products mainly for the custom A/V world. They are not directed so much for end users as they are for Installers and Custom Integrators so I would imagine most people havent heard of Xantech before.

www.xantech.com

They are also rather difficult to find online, But I bought 6 grand worth of xantech equipment for two jobs I'm doing from a place called A-I consolidated and am extremely pleased with their prices and service. Alot of the other online sellers seemed kinda questionable. And a few downright had awful reviews. Also, Dont forget that our own Audioholics store sells Xantech stuff but I dont see the Distribution controllers/amplifiers for sale there.

Onto the Review!

This is for Xantech's MRAUDIO8x8CTL. This is an 8 zone 8 source amplifier/controller. However it only has 6 zones of amplification. You need to buy a seperate power amp for the last two zones. I reccomend Either the Xantech PA435x or PA635x. With this system you can listen to 8 different sources in 8 different zones all with their own volume levels etc.

Xantech also has a number of different keypads but I am using their MRC88DJKP keypad which has an small screen to display source and volume and you can also play/pause/stop etc from the keypad for the source your listening to once the unit has been programmed. Programming it to do these functions is much like a universal remote. The keypads also come in White,Black,Ivory and Almond

Lets start with the Unit itself.

On the front we have the power switch, 8 LED's that will light up green when a zone is turned on or orange (or red I cant remember) if there is an overtemp or short. Also there is the front accessed ports for programming the unit and a front stereo input for those times when you dont want to pull the unit out. There is also a cool blue light that comes on when the door is open so you can see the plugs and switches in say, a poorly lit equipment room.

The unit is programmed with the Xantech software via a PC. The software can be intimidating at first glance even for an experienced person but the included manual will walk you step by step though every aspect of programming the unit.

Moving to the rear of the unit we have 8 stereo source inputs, loop outputs for the sources. inputs for each of the 8 keypads which connect up via cat5 and standard rj45 jacks, speaker outputs which use little dongle connectors, preamp outputs for all 8 zones along with IR eye outputs for controlling your sources, Inputs for additional Keypad and remote options in each zone, 12v trigger. etc... Basically this unit DOES IT ALL!

Included in the box are all the cables you'll need to program the unit (which you dont HAVE to do but to take advantage of what this thing can really do you will want to) a bunch of IR eyes, power cable. Manual, PC software...

Looking under the cover there is a setup much like the multi channel amplifiers most of us are used to. There is a massive toroidal transformer, 66,000 uf of main filter capacitance, Two large heatsinks, and two fans if needed (I have personally never seen these come on in any installation) The entire unit is made very well no plastic fantastic here. It weighs in at about 55lbs.

Ok so thats the basics. You can hook it up to a source and your zone's keypads and speakers right out of the box and your ready to go but you will need to program it to label your sources on the keypads, Add in the IR codes for controlling sources. You can link zones together, The list goes on. Xantech also makes a version called the MRC88 that has the same features but adds on the option to have composite video distribution as well. If you dont need all 8 zones they have something similar called the MRAUDIO4x4CTL which is 4 zone 4 source and all the zones on that unit are amplified but it doesnt have features like the source loop outputs which can come in very handy.

A system like this is much easier to use, (in the long run) along with being much slicker than something like in-wall volume controls and multi channel power amps like most people tend to stick to. Price is also very affordable if you shop around considering what features these units have that a traditional setup just doesnt.

This kinda reads like a infomercial. I dont work for Xantech, But as someone who has worked with many of their products and many other brands Its nice to find something that really works well and this unit is just that.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis