X4300H surround modes

M

mx416

Audioholic
Hi All-

Just looking for some help regarding the surround modes my X4300H is choosing.

When watching direct tv. The input signal is Dolby Digital, out is Dolby D+ Dolby surround
When watching a new blu ray over the weekend the input was DTS master HD and the output was DTS Master Audio + Neural X

I’m just trying to understand why my receiver is adding these “+” formats when my system is only 5.2?
Thanks for the help

My system is set as follows
5.2 configuration
MultEQ set to flat
Dynamic EQ off
Dynamic volume off
Front small
Center small
Subwoofer 2 spkrs
Surround small
Amp assign 7.1 + zone 2
Layout 5ch
Height sp none
Dolby sp none

J

James_Ngo

Audioholic Intern
Your receiver is recognizing the intended listening audio format when the movie was produced.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Hi All-

Just looking for some help regarding the surround modes my X4300H is choosing.

When watching direct tv. The input signal is Dolby Digital, out is Dolby D+ Dolby surround
When watching a new blu ray over the weekend the input was DTS master HD and the output was DTS Master Audio + Neural X

I’m just trying to understand why my receiver is adding these “+” formats when my system is only 5.2?
Thanks for the help

My system is set as follows
5.2 configuration
MultEQ set to flat
Dynamic EQ off
Dynamic volume off
Front small
Center small
Subwoofer 2 spkrs
Surround small
Amp assign 7.1 + zone 2
Layout 5ch
Height sp none
Dolby sp none
Kinda weird that it would allow itself to do that. If you ran audyssey I would think the denon would know it couldn’t do that. I would just hit the sound mode button and select what you want. Ie: Dolby Digital, or dtshdma or whatever it is. My Marantz allows for that. I think too it will remember the settings last selected for whatever source so MAYBE after once or twice of manually selecting the sound mode you want, it will default to that for each input.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd think it just remembered the last time you used Dolby Digital and applied the Dolby Surround mode, it can remember this as a preference. Same for DTS MA HD with the Neural X sound mode. You can go into the soundmodes and revert to just the Dolby Digital or DTS MA HD and it should remember it for those codecs for that input. I don't think you need more speakers to enjoy either sound mode with a 5.1 speaker setup....but not sure.

M

mx416

Audioholic
Thanks for the reply’s folks. Switched sound modes and will see if the receiver remembers.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Right on! Maybe you should install some ceiling speakers just to make sure.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks for the reply’s folks. Switched sound modes and will see if the receiver remembers.
Mine remembers whatever the last mode I chose is. If I play stereo, it chooses stereo. If I play Dolby TrueHD it chooses TrueHD+Dolby Surround (Atmos upmixer). Same with DTS variants. All + Neo X (or whatever it's called).

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Mine remembers whatever the last mode I chose is. If I play stereo, it chooses stereo. If I play Dolby TrueHD it chooses TrueHD+Dolby Surround (Atmos upmixer). Same with DTS variants. All + Neo X (or whatever it's called).
Doesn't it do it based on the incoming signal being a particular type plus the last way you used it? That's how mine works....so if I play a disc that's Dolby TrueHD just as that mode, that's what I get next time I play a disc in Dolby TrueHD; if I play some stereo music off the same player (on same avr input) it may be stereo as I last used it or maybe Dolby PLIIx that I last used (I have a 4520 so pre-Dolby Surround).

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Doesn't it do it based on the incoming signal being a particular type plus the last way you used it? That's how mine works....so if I play a disc that's Dolby TrueHD just as that mode, that's what I get next time I play a disc in Dolby TrueHD; if I play some stereo music off the same player (on same avr input) it may be stereo as I last used it or maybe Dolby PLIIx that I last used (I have a 4520 so pre-Dolby Surround).
Mine will remember the last mode I used. If I watch something with DTS-HD MA and use the Dolby Surround Up-mixer then it will use that same mode the next time DTS-HD MA is used. I'll test again to make sure, but it's been like that every time I look to see what sound mode it's using.

These Denons are the only ones I've had that do this. Every other receiver just uses whatever the default is.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Mine will remember the last mode I used. If I watch something with DTS-HD MA and use the Dolby Surround Up-mixer then it will use that same mode the next time DTS-HD MA is used. I'll test again to make sure, but it's been like that every time I look to see what sound mode it's using.

These Denons are the only ones I've had that do this. Every other receiver just uses whatever the default is.
Yes, but if you play stereo 2.0 from that player it will change to whatever you last played it in rather than Dolby Surround (assuming you didnt use Dolby Surround), right? And if you play DTS-HD MA on another input it will remember what you last used on that input?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Yes, but if you play stereo 2.0 from that player it will change to whatever you last played it in rather than Dolby Surround (assuming you didnt use Dolby Surround), right? And if you play DTS-HD MA on another input it will remember what you last used on that input?
Far as I can tell, yes. I don't think I'm being totally clear in what I mean, but I think you're understanding me.

Whatever the input signal is into the receiver is on a given input, the receiver will remember what DSP I chose the last time it got that particular input signal. If I didn't choose a DSP mode, the receiver will just straight decode the signal.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yep, this is how it works on my Denon, it defaults to last used or I can change it on the fly for each type of source signal. I can setup my Onkyo for either last used per type of input signal, or can even set all types of input signal to a given sound mode across the board....don't see where I can do that in my Denon.

Far as I can tell, yes. I don't think I'm being totally clear in what I mean, but I think you're understanding me.

Whatever the input signal is into the receiver is on a given input, the receiver will remember what DSP I chose the last time it got that particular input signal. If I didn't choose a DSP mode, the receiver will just straight decode the signal.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis