J

jordan21

Junior Audioholic
what is an x over mode on my new sub

it says mode a crossover activated and mode b crossover bypassed

does this mean if i set the crossover on my amp that i should have it set to bypassed on my sub?

thanks

also what is phase? should it normally be set at 0

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
What kind of amp, and what is the crossover set to on the amp? And what kind of speakers? And what kind of amp?

Normally, xover on the receiver (amp) would be set to 80 Hz for starters, all speaker sizes set to small, and the xover setting on the sub maxed out to the highest setting.

And yes, phase is normally set to 0. Phase ascertains that all speakers are pushing together "in phase" with your sub's woofer.

J

jordan21

Junior Audioholic
its a yamaha amp, right now i have energy speakers...i have the crossover set to 80 Hz on the amp....the back of my new sub has a crossover setting as well...it also allows me to choose to bypass the crossover setting on the sub

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
its a yamaha amp, right now i have energy speakers...i have the crossover set to 80 Hz on the amp....the back of my new sub has a crossover setting as well...it also allows me to choose to bypass the crossover setting on the sub
Well...still no model #s. :confused:

Bypass, regardless of the brand, out to bypass the xover in the sub, and that's what you want it set at when the xover is established in your receiver (at 80Hz). You may want to tweak it further depending on your speakers...if your speakers don't reach down very far, you may want to set it at 100, or even 120 Hz. Conversely, if your mains reach down to 28 Hz, you may want to set the xover in the receiver at 70, or even 60 Hz. Either way, you have established the basic setting. Enjoy tweaking if need be. Cheers

J

jordan21

Junior Audioholic
78Hz - 23KHz my centers frequency response

Frequency Response 65 Hz - 20KHz myfronts and surrounds frequecny response

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
78Hz - 23KHz my centers frequency response

Frequency Response 65 Hz - 20KHz myfronts and surrounds frequecny response
Hmm. Well, still max out the sub's xover, and start at 80 Hz on the receiver, but I'm sure you'll quickly find that a minimum of 100, or even 120 Hz is more suitable for your setup. Let us know. Cheers.

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
Hi Jordan - I agree with Johnd on this one; use bypass mode on your sub, utilize only your receiver's crossover - as I explained to you in another thread, you don't want to introduce phasing issues by cascading filters (crossovers). A crossover, by definition is an electronic filter, designed to pass either high or low frequencies only, depending on what type (either High Pass or Low Pass).

You had it set at 80 Hz before and you said it sounded great, so leave it there, and set your sub x-over to 'bypass'.

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
maybe 90 hz would be a good setting
Well, soon we'll just be spiffballing here jordan. If you would kindly post your model numbers of all your speakers, most of the guesswork here will be eliminated. Make the setting...and listen. Specifically, for which sounds better, and which has more accurate bass (as opposed to simply more bass). My guess is 100Hz or more will be the best setting given your setup (the frequency response that you've posted, as opposed to the model #'s :mad:). The only way you'd want to go lower than 100 Hz (or 90) is if your sub really can't handle it...

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
Halon: You're just tops with me. You've not only agreed with me, you're also man enough to admit it. :p Cheers.
Well, I aim's to please.. :rolleyes:

Seriously, here we find ourselves in a parallel situation, in reverse. Jordan - what happened to your Bose speakers? I think we have covered so much of these basic settings for you in so many other threads that I am confused as to what it is that you're still not grasping - please help me understand.

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
Seriously, here we find ourselves in a parallel situation, in reverse. Jordan - what happened to your Bose speakers?
Sheesh. Nice going Halon. You've now succeeded in scaring another one off. Would you stop it already? :p

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
Well, I hope not - at least not yet anyway. :) We have to assume that there are those coming to the site that really have no understanding of all the little technical details of a great HT setup, so patience has to factor in. I may not have infinite patience as you do John, but I try real hard. ;)

I just wish Jordan would stop careening off the walls inside this forum, because I'm getting dizzy trying to keep up with him. :D I've tried to get him to settle down once or twice and go about this logically, but at this point I'm a little lost myself. :confused::D

I mean, this is a site where people are welcome to visit, learn, grow, and take with them knowledge that they might not have otherwise been privy to - I have received a lot of help here, and it's both my pleasure and civic duty to return the favor to others, as much as I can. Maybe Jordan and Easy lack the finesse that others may have, but I will still keep trying as long as I can't come to the inevitable conclusion that they're just f***ing with us.

Jordan, please - if you are still reading this, we mean you no harm, and no foul. I would sincerely appreciate the opportunity to help you in your quest for great sound, but you have got to help us help you. ;)

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis