WTB subwoofer under $500

A

algae65

Audiophyte
Gang - I'm new to the home audio scene, but I've managed to put together a nice 2.0 setup and I'm looking for a sub for a room that is 14x16. I'm interested in buying a used/refurb sub locally in the Los Angeles area. Any of the Emotiva subs, HSU, etc are at the top of the list. Anyone have any other recommendations. Anyone have anything for sale?

Last edited:
H

hizzaah

Full Audioholic
Bit off topic: just for future reference, what do we think about Velodyne around here? Not that I've owned one, but when I worked at Fry's a few summers ago I let my friend buy his dad a 12" Velodyne sub using my discount (the discount is based on the mark up; he was gonna go for the 10", but apparently the mark up is a lot more on the 12" because he was able to get the bigger one for >$50 more).. Now, my friends dad goes through different 5.0 sets like candy (he's gone through a HTIB JVC set, a Sony receiver/5 speaker combo, and currently has 5 Bose. That's in just the last year or two). I don't know much yet, but I know there are better deals to be had, and I know he doesn't have his speakers set up right. One of my projects this summer is to fix his set up), but he's quite happy with his Velodyne..

Last edited:
timoteo

timoteo

Audioholic General
Hizaah:
If you have a question like that, it's better to start your own thread. It's not polite to hijack someone else's thread to get your own answer. That is basic etiquette around here.

OP:
Since you live in the LosAngeles area why don't you drive down to HSU Research & have them give you a demo of each of their subs in their demo room!!? They are in Anaheim, right off the 91fwy, exit Kramer. Call them, ask for Pete & tell him you want to make an appt for a demo. He is an extremely nice guy, very knowledgable & helpful. That's what I did before I decided on my 2 HSU subs. I honestly couldnt be happier!!! :)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, was going to mention HSU is in LA area too. Do they sell B-stock or floor models in store? If so, you might get a good deal on a higher model sub.

H

hizzaah

Full Audioholic
Hizaah:
If you have a question like that, it's better to start your own thread. It's not polite to hijack someone else's thread to get your own answer. That is basic etiquette around here.
The reason I ask is because there are several Velodyne models in the OP's price range. Didn't think it was worth another thread to get random opinions on the brand.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Elemental Designs A2-300 is a great sub for under $500.

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
I have dual A2-300s for they are good ht subs for the money.

F

FirstReflection

AV Rant Co-Host
My personal favorite for a $500 sub remains the Rythmik FV12. And in a small room like the OP's, the FV12 will have ample output.

Similar to the HSU VTF-2 MK4 (which is a very close 2nd place in my book due to being just a wee bit more expensive), the Rythmik FV12 allows you to "shape" its low end response with filter controls, which can be a huge benefit in a small room that will have a lot of low end room gain and strong reflections. The FV12 is also "unbreakable" since it has good limiters and compressors for high volume output. You can't fill a very large room with reference level output with the FV12, but you can crank it up as loud as it will go without worry, which is nice :)

Transient response is excellent for this price range and the basic frequency response is nice and linear. Extension is very good and is almost flat right down to 20Hz. You won't quite troll any infrasonic depths with the FV12, but it goes remarkably low for such an inexpensive sub.

So honestly, my feeling is that for $500, you cannot do better than the Rythmik FV12. That said, HSU's VTF-2 MK4 is an extremely close 2nd. And if you can buy the VTF-2 MK4 and avoid the shipping charge, then it might even be the better deal price wise. It certainly will be if you get any sort of "B-stock" or other price reduction ;)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis