Would you buy this sub for this $$$

J

jpaget

Enthusiast
Sub arrived today

Holy cow! This thing is huge! :D Even though I read the dimensions, I guess it just didnt sink in as to how big this freaking thing would be. And heavy, my word! I really couldnt have imagined this thing would be so solidly built. Also, the silver isnt half bad. To be honest, I kind of like the look of it, perhaps even more so than the black. It's really amazing overall. I guess I should actually plug it in and listen to it, huh?;)

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Woohoo! I'm excited for you. Extremely jealous, mind you, but happy for you. Can't wait to read what you think about it. Plug it in!

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
Now you can appreciate the value part of the SVS equation vs. box store subs. I can't wait to hear your what you think of its sound, also.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Well?

jpaget,

So, any thoughts on the sound, yet? I figure that you're either still lying on the floor in shock from the audio nirvana, are too disappointed in it to speak, or are currently trying to make bail after your neighbors called the cops and you punched an officer when he tried to turn the volume down.

J

jpaget

Enthusiast
Sorry for the suspense

Adam and others--

Sorry to not get a response up. I just started my internship last week and things have been so hectic. I also am out of town and have been since Friday. I did get a quick chance to just turn the sub on (at a very low level) and watch about a half hour of the cave troll scene in the first Lord of the Rings. It was such a big difference than with no sub. I felt like the scenes really came to life and each slam of the troll's club shook my seat cushion and rattled my windows.

I am getting ready to head back home with my SPL meter and AVIA DVD in hand. As you can imagine, I have had a hard time coping with not being able to listen and enjoy my new purchase, but sometimes life is just inconvenient.

On a side note, I am sure you will appreciate this. My father had a 5.1 surround system, all Paradigm, installed a few years ago along with his purchase of a Sony Wega 37" plasma. For some reason, it had always sounded way too harsh and he had complained about the picture on his TV. I had a change to calibrate te system and the difference was AMAZING! Using the SPL meter, I could tell that the system was completely out of whack and unbalanced. Not to mention, the sub wasnt even connected correctly and wasn't even functioning! Well, after a quick 20 minute calibration, we turned on the TV and Star Wars was on Cinemax HD. Holy cow! I am not lying when I say that it was probably one of the best audio expierences of my life. The sounds were amazing and my cousin and I were almost put into a trance for a good ten minutes. I am definitely a fan of Paradigm now. I think they sounded better than my Klipsch (although I am comparing 5.1 to my 2.1). Needless to say, my Dad was amazed and gratious. We improved the TV picture significantly as well.

KC23

KC23

Audioholic
Ok, ok, point was well taken. An SVS PB10 in sterling silver (not first choice but the price was right) is on the way. My checkbook is screaming, but my ears will be ringing, and for that, I say thanks!
Very wise move.

WorldLeader

WorldLeader

Full Audioholic
If I were you? I'd probably sit in front of my new 42" LCD and weep with joy. I still have a 27" CRT. Oh, to dream of having one of those flat screens.
Oh the dreams of having a 27" CRT... Mine is still a 13"er.

Congrats jpaget, that SVS sounds like the real deal. I went the DIY method for my first real subwoofer, and I can't say I'm disappointed. I have yet to hear a good SVS or HSU sub in my room though...

Last edited:
Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Oh the dreams of having a 27" CRT... Mine is still a 13"er.
Ahhh, I used one of those throughout college. I feel for ya.

I have yet to hear a good SVS or HSU sub in my room though...
Just to make sure that I understand...have you heard SVS and/or HSU subs in your room that weren't good? I've got an SVS on preorder, and I'm just wondering.

Thanks.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis