Would you buy this sub for this $$$

J

jpaget

Enthusiast
I really want an HSU VTF-1 or an SVS, but I can purchase a $150 gift certificate to JR Music and they are having a sale on the Polk Audio PSW505 for $350. So, including shipping, we are talking $200, compared to $350-$450 for the HSU or SVS. Would would you guys recommend? The $350-$450 would stretch me financially right now.

Thanks, as always.:D

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
From what I have read, and what I have auditioned at stores... Polk audio doesn't have all that great of subs... I was extremely un-impressed...

Before I bought SVS, I have had 2 Klipsch subs, a 10 and a 12, they are about the same quality of the Polk Audio subs IMO...

Even the cheapest SVS or HSU subs will trounce all over those at B&M Stores.

Spend a little more for a Internet sub, and you won't ever be dissapointed.
Once you experience a quality sub, you will become addicted, and want more.

Im on my second SVS sub within 5 months... I think I now have a problem...

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Lets be honest, the Polk subs are a waste of money...

I'd save a little and get the PB-10 or VTF-2, then there will be no question in your mind if you did the right thing.

A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief
I really want an HSU VTF-1 or an SVS, but I can purchase a $150 gift certificate to JR Music and they are having a sale on the Polk Audio PSW505 for $350. So, including shipping, we are talking $200, compared to $350-$450 for the HSU or SVS. Would would you guys recommend? The $350-$450 would stretch me financially right now.

Thanks, as always.:D
If your budget is around $200, take a look at the X-Sub from AV123. It's not in the same class as the $450 subs you list, but it's hard to beat for $200.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
jpaget, not sure if you got a welcome, but Welcome to Audioholics....

Maybe you could give us a little more information about what your main objectives are..
What are your other system components.... as well as budget...
What is your room size, and percentage of movies to music....

A little more information can help us help you... :)

Warp

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I will not claim to be a sub expert, but I'll say this. I have both a friend and a brother who own Polk subs, and they are both happy with them. Their subs aren't that model, though. I wouldn't consider it trash just because it's a Polk until you give it a listen. Personally, I don't want a Polk because I wasn't impressed (by those subs or the speakers that I've heard)...but they were, and they're the ones who listen to them. I found a review of the Polk PSW505 by Ed Mullen (at least the same name as a guy who works at SVS now) in Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity, and he gave it a decent review.

J

jpaget

Enthusiast
Thank you for the replies

All--

I want to thank you very much for your replies. I also want to clarify my situation as several of you has asked for. This is, at this point, the most difficult decision I am having to make.

I have basically strecthed my budget to its breaking point. I have recently purchased an Aquos 42D62U, and RX-V659 and Klipsch RF-62s. I have also just ordered an Oppo 981. My goal is to build a 5.1 system within a year or so. I've been very happy with what I purchased so far, but I have been advised that a subwoofer would add significantly to my current setup and provide the most enjoyment until I could afford the other speakers to complete the 5.1.

My room is about 1900 cubic feet and I have listed my other components. I am probably intersted in about 60/40 or 75/25 movies to music. I really want a sub and I want it soon, can you blame me? I could save and afford a $400-$500 sub within the next 2-3 months, but I could probably afford a $200-$250 sub right now--which is what I could get the Polk sub for with the gift certificate.

My question really boils down to ... is the $200 (plus $40 shipping) Polk sub ($500 retail though but with a sale and my gift certificate much less) a better value than paying $430 for the Hsu VTF-1 or for the SVS PB-10? Essentially, I could satisfy my immediate desire for a sub with the Polk and then upgrade in 2 years or I could hold off and go crazy for 2-3 months and then get the Hsu or SVS. What would you do?

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
My question really boils down to ... is the $200 (plus $40 shipping) Polk sub ($500 retail though but with a sale and my gift certificate much less) a better value than paying $430 for the Hsu VTF-1 or for the SVS PB-10? Essentially, I could satisfy my immediate desire for a sub with the Polk and then upgrade in 2 years or I could hold off and go crazy for 2-3 months and then get the Hsu or SVS.
That's a tough question. It's only a better value if you're happy with your decision. Otherwise, it's a potential waste of $240 and a lingering source of you wondering if you should have waited to get one of the others. If you really want one of the others, it's better to wait. Two or three months will be over before you know it. However, I'd ask yourself why you want one of the others. Perhaps you'd buy one of them and wonder...should I have gotten the other one? Or a more expensive one? There's always something else out there to tempt each of us. $240 for that Polk sounds like a good deal to me, and if you have no sub at the moment, then I'll bet you that you'll be happy as long as you don't second-guess buying it.

What would you do?
If I were you? I'd probably sit in front of my new 42" LCD and weep with joy. I still have a 27" CRT. Oh, to dream of having one of those flat screens.

FYI, SVS has PB-10's on sale for $375 (before shipping) if you don't mind cream or silver.

Adam

J

jpaget

Enthusiast
Thanks Adam, I appreciate the advice. I still haven't made up my mind. I may try and go and listen to the Polk at CC today, if they have it in stock. I am thinking though if I went with the Polk, then when I do upgrade to Hsu or SVS, I will fully appreciate the quality. Besides, if I went with the Hsu or SVS now, then it wouldnt really be upgrading since I dont have anything currently. And we all know how fun upgrading is.:D

colin.p

colin.p

Audioholic Intern
As the others have said.
If I were going to be able to buy a HSU or an SVS, I know I wouldn't be happy if I settled for anything less, just because there is always that "what if?".
Now I have never heard any Polk subs or the two afformentioned as well, but of all the HT forums in the known world that I read, I really can't ever recall any overly nice things about Polk subs, but tons about HSU/SVS.
And another thing, you would still have a $500 Polk for $200, that performed like a $200 sub, not at all like the $350-450 HSU/SVS.
Of course, I am not in your shoes, but I have been in similar instances several times, and I alway wish I had gotten the better one.

Colin

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
The result of my collected subwoofer wisdom is that you should decide which sub is ideally suited to the room, then move up two models, then be prepared to double it six months later.

If the budget is limiting your choices, get the best possible sub the first time, even if it means waiting to save up a bit. The PB10-10 deal looks very good for you right now.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I'm going to echo the suggestions about waiting, although it's something I've never been good at. Sooooo. what to do... The room isn't really all that big and you could probably get by with a starter sub for now but not the Polk. Waiting would be best but if you can't then the Velodyne VX10 is a very sweet starter sub for about $180 shipped. I simply moved mine in the bedroom to SVS (thumbs way up) for the family room. My bedroom is about 1500cf and it works just fine in there.

Last edited:
J

jpaget

Enthusiast
Ok, ok, point was well taken. An SVS PB10 in sterling silver (not first choice but the price was right) is on the way. My checkbook is screaming, but my ears will be ringing, and for that, I say thanks!

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Congratulations! From what I've read, it's hard to go wrong with an SVS. I'm jealous of the satisfaction that you'll get in likely under a week. I have to wait another couple of months for my PC-Ultra. Hmmm. Gives me time to find an LCD TV. Always a silver lining...

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
Congratulations again. I'm sure you will be very happy with the PB10. Keep us posted on how you like it when it arrives.

J

jpaget

Enthusiast
Thanks again to all for their encouragement and advice. I also have an Oppo 981 coming this week so I get to look forward to lots of goodies! :D

I will keep everyone posted once it arrives and it set up and running.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Great work there jpaget...

You took the advice of all the members, and you will be thrilled with the products you have settled on... SVS is a fantastic sub maker...

And the Oppo will work fantastically....

Gives me time to find an LCD TV. Always a silver lining...
Adam, is there a reason that you are going with an LCD instead of plasma..?
I have seen a few of my friends that went with LCD after I suggested Plasma, and their SD channels were horrendous looking, and they ended up taking them back...

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Adam, is there a reason that you are going with an LCD instead of plasma..?
Warp, I actually haven't decided on a technology, yet. It was more of a joke than anything, but I can say a few things. I shy away from plasma because of burn-in. I've read that it's not as big of a deal as it used to be...but I haven't read that it's no longer an issue at all. I'd also like to see how good the LCDs look with LED backlighting when that comes out...hopefully soon. As the smaller 1080P plasma sets hit the market, they'll get my attention, too. I get very few HD stations at my house right now, so I'm not in a huge hurry to upgrade.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Cool, as long as you do your homework.... I was just curious...

I wouldn't classify Image retention as Burn In... I own 2 Plasma's and have yet to see any of said burn in.. :)

Back to the original topic...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis