Would this center be an upgrade?

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai

Would this center be an upgrade over what I currently have? I have an all JBL Studio HT, 570 mains, LOVE THEM, 530 surrounds, LOVE THEM and the 520C, like it but not love. Sometimes I find it lacking and dialog is a bit tough to hear. I can get the above for 200 bucks shipped. I had my heart set on a 3 way center channel next but this popped up. What do you think because I kinda want to give it a try?
Here is the link the 520C if you want to read specs and check it out with your keen expert eyes.

Thanks!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member

Would this center be an upgrade over what I currently have? I have an all JBL Studio HT, 570 mains, LOVE THEM, 530 surrounds, LOVE THEM and the 520C, like it but not love. Sometimes I find it lacking and dialog is a bit tough to hear. I can get the above for 200 bucks shipped. I had my heart set on a 3 way center channel next but this popped up. What do you think because I kinda want to give it a try?
Here is the link the 520C if you want to read specs and check it out with your keen expert eyes.

Thanks!
Save for a better center. If you watch a lot of movies and TV, you shouldn't cheap out on the center. You might want to try just taking out the center and run a phantom center and see if dialogue intelligibility improves.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Save for a better center. If you watch a lot of movies and TV, you shouldn't cheap out on the center. You might want to try just taking out the center and run a phantom center and see if dialogue intelligibility improves.
Yeah I probably should stick to the plan of a 3 way center channel. The Monolith 365C is the one I've got my sights on.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
Never cut corners with center channel save up and get what you want . Iam still failing to understand why JBL put the small center out with them 590’s and 580’s . The 5 series is a good line up except the center channel never understood that .

X

XTex

Audioholic Intern
Don't forget the used market as well. Something like the Revel C32 (prior Performa center), Aerial Acoustics CC3, a glut of Paradigm centers, etc can be had for great prices as well.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I really want to try a 3 way center to see what all the hype is about. The 520C is only boosted 2db and I really don't want to go any more, in fact I refuse too. Sometimes dialog gets lost. I think though a lot of times dialog issues though is the fault of the source. I just really want to check out a 3 way center soon.

K

kini

Full Audioholic
Never cut corners with center channel save up and get what you want . Iam still failing to understand why JBL put the small center out with them 590’s and 580’s . The 5 series is a good line up except the center channel never understood that .
If you look at the compression data at Erin's audio corner the 520 can play louder without a bunch of compression than most other speakers including the ridiculously large Emotiva C2+. It's capable of keeping up with the towers in terms of volume.

It uses the same compression driver as the towers and a similar horn. IMO most dialogue issues are due to lousy source material.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
I really want to try a 3 way center to see what all the hype is about. The 520C is only boosted 2db and I really don't want to go any more, in fact I refuse too. Sometimes dialog gets lost. I think though a lot of times dialog issues though is the fault of the source. I just really want to check out a 3 way center soon.
I would sujest mabey looking at one of the old studio S-Centers many on eBay if mint shape a 3 way design but really good for dialogue in movies and cheap used too I’d try to find an s-center 2 I think you would be very surprised at how good these are for a center channel .

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
If you look at the compression data at Erin's audio corner the 520 can play louder without a bunch of compression than most other speakers including the ridiculously large Emotiva C2+. It's capable of keeping up with the towers in terms of volume.

It uses the same compression driver as the towers and a similar horn. IMO most dialogue issues are due to lousy source material.
Have seen the data on this also well aware of the drivers in use too it’s still a iffy center they all are but these sell on the internet for 125.00 bucks for a reason nobody seems to keep them very long .

Pandaman617

Pandaman617

Senior Audioholic
Yeah I probably should stick to the plan of a 3 way center channel. The Monolith 365C is the one I've got my sights on.
Het. The 365C is freaking awesome. I’ve got that and the mini towers set aside for a future system but when I was using them they absolutely blew me away

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Het. The 365C is freaking awesome. I’ve got that and the mini towers set aside for a future system but when I was using them they absolutely blew me away
Oh wow man. Now I don't know what to because I saw some JBL S centers on eBay. I'd rather go new of course. Awe screw it, you only live once, I'll order it after the summer because we have 2 cruises coming up, 2+ years in the making (thanks Covid).

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Oh wow man. Now I don't know what to because I saw some JBL S centers on eBay. I'd rather go new of course. Awe screw it, you only live once, I'll order it after the summer because we have 2 cruises coming up, 2+ years in the making (thanks Covid).
Hey het. FWIW, I’m still using an s-II. It’s really good and will blend nicely with the newer 5’s.
I’ve planned a few upgrade paths but they always seem to cost too damn much to replace what I’ve got. Damn…

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Hey het. FWIW, I’m still using an s-II. It’s really good and will blend nicely with the newer 5’s.
I’ve planned a few upgrade paths but they always seem to cost too damn much to replace what I’ve got. Damn…
Yeah, I'd like to go for a S center but I'm a bit weary of the ones on eBay. You think it's ok to go that route? They are certainly cheap.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
Yeah, I'd like to go for a S center but I'm a bit weary of the ones on eBay. You think it's ok to go that route? They are certainly cheap.
Het I’ve looked at the current ones on eBay there’s several on there right now they all look to be in very nice shape . Can’t be beat for the price either I still use two in my garage setup sever S-2’s on there that look real good .

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Hey guys is there much of a difference between the S and the S2? Prefer one over the other for some reason?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Hey guys is there much of a difference between the S and the S2? Prefer one over the other for some reason?
The biggest difference. IIRC!!!
Is the copper drivers. Seems that the II’s have a slightly different XO, but I might have that wrong. As far as eBay? You’ll never know for sure how someone takes care of their stuff, but if you’re thorough, you can get an idea by the way they write the ad, or the stuff in the background of the pics etc. seems like they’re cheap enough to be worth a try I guess.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
I still have both the newer silver colored driver and the copper colored too a slight difference in the crossover not a clue what it does I can tell no difference in SQ between the two . Yes check the background and zoom in on any pictures especially of the drivers .

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Thanks guys again, there is a guy that has one that looks in great shape and lives right in my town. What luck on that one. Waiting to hear back from him.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks guys again, there is a guy that has one that looks in great shape and lives right in my town. What luck on that one. Waiting to hear back from him.
123…go!!!!!!
FWIW Greg Timbers(thats ironic! Lol) designed the 5 series and the studio II’s.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
123…go!!!!!!
FWIW Greg Timbers(thats ironic! Lol) designed the 5 series and the studio II’s.
Reminds me that in the recent interview Erin H did with Greg Timbers, Erin asked Greg if he'd ever heard a particular corny audiophile joke....that his name was pronounced like "timbres" (at a little past 1:32)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis