Would it be better?

BJP

BJP

Audioholic
Would the Yamaha HTR-5760 be enough for Polk's RTi8's, CSi5, FXi3's, or would the HK AVR-635 be a better choice? The 635 is 75watts+high current and the 5760 is 95watts+HC. The HK also weighs 14 or so lbs more (don't know if that matters) and is about $1200 more. I don't have the RTi8's or FXi3's yet so I don't know if the 60 is good enough. I have thought about Denon and other Yamaha's, but my eyes are on the 635 or even the 7300. I would appreciate any insight etc.

Thanks,
BJP

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
If you can afford the 7300, go that route. No comparison, and with Polks, you'll need that extra power. The 7300 is a powerhouse, and there's not much out there that can touch it in its price range. Where do you live? We may be able to help you locate a great deal.

BJP

BJP

Audioholic
Buckeyefan 1 said:
If you can afford the 7300, go that route. No comparison, and with Polks, you'll need that extra power. The 7300 is a powerhouse, and there's not much out there that can touch it in its price range. Where do you live? We may be able to help you locate a great deal.
I live in London, Ontario. I can only find the 7300 at Future Shop. It is $3299.99. It is not on sale very often, maybe only during the Boxing Week sale. Do you think I could get away with the 635 and bi-amp the fronts with the 5760, or just stick with the 7300?

Thanks,
BJP

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
$3300 Yikes

I know our exchange rate is a bit different, but I'm amazed at the difference in pricing and the rigamorale you have to go through to ship things across the border. What's the issue with buying from www.jr.com in NYC? Do you lose the warranty? Do you have to pay $200 in GST and duties, even though JR ships this unit for free? The AVR7300 is $1342 - no tax, free shipping. An absolute steal compared to $3300. You can fly to NYC, buy it at the store, return and still save yourself $1500!

www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=3974030

http://www.jr.com/OMBasketDetail.process?RestartFlow=t&OMProductId=3991827&PEEK=BOO&AddToBasket.x=24&AddToBasket.y=9

The 635 will drive the Polks without having to biamp anything. I just thought if you were considering the 7300, it's night and day better than the 635. I'd compare the 5790 (5890 is out now) to the 635, not the 5760 if you like Yamaha. It's a great receiver, but again, pricey.

Last edited:
shokhead

shokhead

Audioholic General
I really like the 635. Saw it hooked up to those polks and i'm not a big polk guy but it sounded pretty dam good. Now this was a showroom/listening room so fwit.

BJP

BJP

Audioholic
Buckeyefan 1 said:
I know our exchange rate is a bit different, but I'm amazed at the difference in pricing and the rigamorale you have to go through to ship things across the border. What's the issue with buying from www.jr.com in NYC? Do you lose the warranty? Do you have to pay $200 in GST and duties, even though JR ships this unit for free? The AVR7300 is $1342 - no tax, free shipping. An absolute steal compared to $3300. You can fly to NYC, buy it at the store, return and still save yourself $1500!

www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=3974030

http://www.jr.com/OMBasketDetail.process?RestartFlow=t&OMProductId=3991827&PEEK=BOO&AddToBasket.x=24&AddToBasket.y=9

The 635 will drive the Polks without having to biamp anything. I just thought if you were considering the 7300, it's night and day better than the 635. I'd conpare the 5790 to the 635, not the 5760 if you like Yamaha. It's a great receiver, but again, pricey.
Yes, that is bloody expensive. I went to www.XE.com/ucc and did a Canadian to U.S. currency convert and it came out to $2617.59. That is way more than $1342! If I buy the 7300 from jr it would come out to the same price as the 635!(without all the extras) Don't know what's going on up here!

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Lots of profit to be made in Canada

Right. Look at it this way. A $1342 HK7300 in US is just under $1700 Canadian. $1342 x 1.26 = $1698.70

Wonder what the duty and GST would be?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
As I posted before, it costs too much to buy H.K. receivers in Canada. That's why I gave up on the 7200 last fall and went with the 3805. I have no regret. It just doesn't make sense to buy a H.K. flag ship receiver at a more reasonable price but end up with no Canadian warranty. For the same price, either the 3805 or the Yamaha 2500 is a better buy than the 635.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
You may want to read some of the reviews here before making a decision on the overly marked up HK units (Canadian prices). You may choose to ignore the opinions of the reviewers but their lab measurements allow you to compare the published specifications vs actual test results between different products.

http://www.hometheatermag.com/receivers/

BJP

BJP

Audioholic
Buckeyefan 1 said:
Right. Look at it this way. A $1342 HK7300 in US is just under $1700 Canadian. $1342 x 1.26 = $1698.70

Wonder what the duty and GST would be?
I imagine the duties would be in the hundreds and I read that the PST may apply. I may swing over to the 3805, although mic not included $65 extra. I read in Clint DeBoer's review that the EQ sets the speakers up to +9dB. Did you find that with your receiver?

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
BJP, for what it's worth I'm in the same boat as you. I see all these fantastic deals on electronics south of the border and I feel like making a run down there with a U-Haul truck. I purchased a Marantz 8400 from Ubid for $451 Us, by the time it gets here it will cost me over $750 Cad. The Warranty from Marants is a global one so I'm hoping any problems I have are covered. Denon and Yamaha don't stick it to us as badly as Harman does for sure.

BJP

BJP

Audioholic
Takeereasy said:
BJP, for what it's worth I'm in the same boat as you. I see all these fantastic deals on electronics south of the border and I feel like making a run down there with a U-Haul truck. I purchased a Marantz 8400 from Ubid for $451 Us, by the time it gets here it will cost me over $750 Cad. The Warranty from Marants is a global one so I'm hoping any problems I have are covered. Denon and Yamaha don't stick it to us as badly as Harman does for sure.
Yes, we don't have very much here, seems like Future Shop and The Power Station are the main ones. Future Shop has a lot of sales on this week, but $100 off for Polk RTi8's(now $899.99) doesn't make me whip out my card. Boxing Day sale is the only good time to get deals in Canada, except there almost always out of stock, online and in-store. :mad:

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
BJP said:
I imagine the duties would be in the hundreds and I read that the PST may apply. I may swing over to the 3805, although mic not included $65 extra. I read in Clint DeBoer's review that the EQ sets the speakers up to +9dB. Did you find that with your receiver?
I'm old fashion and set up my system with a good ol tape measure. It takes forever, but I love the results. None of my speakers are set that high. I'll boost the dipoles and rear centers to +2, but that's plenty. Many stations and Music Choice digital cable sound as good as a cd or dvd. I think my SA8300HD box has a lot to do with it, but I'll take a little credit. I'm surprised you can still get the RTi series up there. Our Circuit City stores discontinued them over a year ago, and cannot be found anywhere except online. When they clearanced the RTi's out here, they were going for a third of retail. My most expensive purchase was the CSi5 at just over $200. You should bring a Uhaul down here and load up. Athena's are the big ticket at Best Buy now.

BJP

BJP

Audioholic
Buckeyefan 1 said:
I'm old fashion and set up my system with a good ol tape measure. It takes forever, but I love the results. None of my speakers are set that high. I'll boost the dipoles and rear centers to +2, but that's plenty. Many stations and Music Choice digital cable sound as good as a cd or dvd. I think my SA8300HD box has a lot to do with it, but I'll take a little credit. I'm surprised you can still get the RTi series up there. Our Circuit City stores discontinued them over a year ago, and cannot be found anywhere except online. When they clearanced the RTi's out here, they were going for a third of retail. My most expensive purchase was the CSi5 at just over $200. You should bring a Uhaul down here and load up. Athena's are the big ticket at Best Buy now.
I'm burning my money up here. $200 for a CSi5, mine was on sale for $399 CAD, that's $317 USD :eek:. I've heard the Athena AS-F1's and there amazing. I have AS-B1's and they can really put out some great bass. My best bet is Uhaul though :).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis