Would CD Player Replacement Be Best Immediate Sound Improvement Gain?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I've had the laser blocks go bad several times. My first sony was back in high school, for me... maybe '90? It lasted a good while, but eventually stopped tracking the discs. Everything else worked fine. My dad has had two NADs go tits-up on him. Some random tech guy said lasers have a rough lifespan of 10 yrs, depending on usage. My experience is probably more like 7 years with moderately heavy usage.
Never seen a belt inside a disc player... plastic gears for the drawers in the ones I've been inside. ;)

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I've had the laser blocks go bad several times. My first sony was back in high school, for me... maybe '90? It lasted a good while, but eventually stopped tracking the discs. Everything else worked fine. My dad has had two NADs go tits-up on him. Some random tech guy said lasers have a rough lifespan of 10 yrs, depending on usage. My experience is probably more like 7 years with moderately heavy usage.
Never seen a belt inside a disc player... plastic gears for the drawers in the ones I've been inside. ;)
This intrigued me, since it is not my experience. Apparently there is a wide range of outcomes.
Here is a thread from a quick search where there are some pushing 30 years old (back in 2015 when the thread was written):
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/278327-wondering-quality-cd-player.html

https://www.audioasylum.com/messages/digital/124870/quot-lifespan-of-compact-disc-laser-diode-quot

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
While I greatly appreciate your replies, I must admit, I am surprised with what you said. Are you saying that a person cannot distinguish a sound improvement of a $100.00 CD Player vs a $500.00, or even a $5000.00 CD Player. Assuming so, what''s the point of Audioholics, all the reviews, and the vast range of CD Player prices? Please understand, I am sincerely asking these questions so that I can learn. Thanks again for your input :O)
Yes, you have it right. If you are just using the transport as most of us do then there will be no difference. In fact it is well known that cheaper transports reject less discs than expensive ones. When I serviced my friends MAC CD player, I found it had a very cheap Sanyo drive.

If you are not happy your problem as always is speakers.

I will be honest, I have auditioned Def techs fairly often and I have to say I do not recommend them. They are in no way accurate speakers. If you don't like what you are hearing, and I can well understand you don't, then first on the list to out is those Def Techs.

A

AudioBuffCO

Junior Audioholic
The BDP-S580 I looked up and it has analog and HDMI outs. The CD player model number returned 0 hits on google so he might have typed it wrong.
I did type it incorrectly: DVP-NC875V Thx for catching that! : )

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Thanks ryanosaur.....would the same answer hold true for turntables.......or not, since they are analog?
No, it does not apply to turntables. Turntables are largely mechanical, and there are a issues that many find difficult to understand. The turntable needs to turn with no significant speed variation and without mechanical noise. The arm need to be free vertically and laterally and properly adjusted. Matching cartridge compliance to arm mass is critical and so often overlooked. Resonances are a big issue.

Next matching the cartridge characteristics to the input amp is another issue. Good cartridges and arms cost significant money. Really good turntable reproduction is preserve of obsessive compulsive individuals.

At its best vinyl is capable of superb reproduction, but that is actually quite elusive.

Perversely though I find a lot of very high end turntables actually to me don't sound very good. I think a lot of designers concentrate on their hobby horse at the expense of total design. Like speakers, good turntables are the sum of sensible and judicious compromise. I think few actually really get the important issues really right.
Then record care is a whole other issue.

A

AudioBuffCO

Junior Audioholic
A HUGE Thank You to all for your input. I really appreciate it! :)

Tom

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis