Would a carpet liner help with floor reflections? (Updated: And can I sound insulate just 2 walls?)

N

NightHawkIX

Audioholic Intern
I have a area rug over hardwood on the floor in front of my Front/Sub. Would adding a 1/2" felt carpet pad help reduce the floor reflections some more?

Pic of my current setup:

REW of my front L/R+Sub:

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
It looks to me as if you have a cancellation due to room reflections. There is probably not much you can do about that except experimenting with different sub locations.. I would not use a flat setting. HF is supposed to attenuate as you move away from the speakers, as the proportion of reflected over direct sound increases. A room correction like that produces a very unnatural sound.
I would try it with YPAO off and see how you like it. I am not a fan of those sort of programs at all. I don't think an underlay will make any difference.

highfigh

highfigh

I have a area rug over hardwood on the floor in front of my Front/Sub. Would adding a 1/2" felt carpet pad help reduce the floor reflections some more?

Pic of my current setup:

REW of my front L/R+Sub:
Do your seats have removable cushions? If so, remove them and stand them in the front corners while you run REW, so you can watch the response change. It's free and it could work- putting absorptive panels in the front corners, left rear (the right rear is a doorway) and at the first reflection areas cured similar problems in my room. I had made panels for a demo test in a home theater I was working on, but didn't need them because the problem at that place was caused by the insulation crew, who didn't do anything to the wall on the right side. Since I had them, I gave it a shot.

Also, try moving your sub and if it has a phase control instead of a 1/180 degree switch, try adjusting that.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
You do need some wall treatments, may try out some isolation pads under you L/R mains and sub.

N

NightHawkIX

Audioholic Intern
I'm trying to go the DIy route for making some acoustic panels, but I can't find a local source for OC703/705 or Rockwool Comfortboard 60/80 anywhere. Buying them online, have to pay almost $100 for just S/H. Any suggestions on this front?

(Locally, Menards, Lowes, HD only carry the OC Comfort Batts, but I assume that's not as useful for acoustic wall panels?)

highfigh

highfigh

I'm trying to go the DIy route for making some acoustic panels, but I can't find a local source for OC703/705 or Rockwool Comfortboard 60/80 anywhere. Buying them online, have to pay almost $100 for just S/H. Any suggestions on this front?

(Locally, Menards, Lowes, HD only carry the OC Comfort Batts, but I assume that's not as useful for acoustic wall panels?)
Where are you located? Look online for acoustical supplies and insulation contractors- they sometimes have damaged panels of 703. I would pass on 705- you can stack 703 but making 705 thinner isn't gonna happen.

If you're near Milwaukee, call Acoustech Supply- they sell all kinds of treatment materials and that's where I went to buy mine.

N

NightHawkIX

Audioholic Intern
I'm in St Louis, and calling around, no luck. :/

N

NightHawkIX

Audioholic Intern
I think I can get some of the 80# Roxul stuff from Grainger.

Another question, for the purpose of sound insulation so I don't hear HVAC noise and don't bug my wife, can I just insulate 2 walls in the HT room? Or is it all 4 walls or bust?

This is a diagram of the basement where my HT is located. I want to insulate the Front and Back walls to both lower the noise floor and not bug my wife at night. (The wall behind the 2' counter is concrete blocks.)

Part of the appeal of sound-proofing the front and back wall is because they're unfinished and the studs are exposed. So I was thinking of putting in some sound isolation batts and then a sheet of MLV.

From my understanding, I could even leave the MLV exposed, since it faces unfinished portions of the basement where asthetics isn't that important. And by leaving them exposed (without another layer of drywall sandwiching them), the performance shouldn't be effected?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis