Worth repairing a Definitive Technology SuperCube 8000 sub?

E

Eliut

Enthusiast
Hello guys. A friend gifted me a Definitive Technology SC8000 sub. When I connected it, the unit powered on but no sound. I guess the amp is blown. I contacted DT and they tell me that I can get a replacement amp for $308+SH. I have read so, so reviews for this sub and I just purchased a new SVS PB3000 for my main HT.

If I repair this DT sub it would be used in my office 5.1 setup or my bedroom.

This sub is discontinued, 11", 1500w. My thinking is that for $400 total I may not be able to purchase a new sub with similar specs so it may be worth repairing. Am I wrong?

K

kini

Full Audioholic
I'm still using the one I bought in 2012. IMO for its size it does really well, not so much for the price when new though.

The only sub at close to $400 that would be comparable would be the RSL SpeedWoofer II for $449 with shipping included.

The SC will have a little more overall output and I think is a little smaller. But, old versus new with warrant-

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Hello guys. A friend gifted me a Definitive Technology SC8000 sub. When I connected it, the unit powered on but no sound. I guess the amp is blown. I contacted DT and they tell me that I can get a replacement amp for $308+SH. I have read so, so reviews for this sub and I just purchased a new SVS PB3000 for my main HT.

This sub is discontinued, 11", 1500w. My thinking is that for $400 total I may not be able to purchase a new sub with similar specs so it may be worth repairing. Am I wrong?
What else did you do to determine the amp is dead? Did you set your speakers all to small in the AVR? Did you try a separate source plugged into the sub, like a phone or CD player? Honestly I wouldn't fix that sub as it isn't that great except for music. The wattage is irrelevant to the spec and the only reason it has so much power is to handle the EQ boost needed to lower F3.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
here are SC8k measurements (at 1 meter)
here are RSL 10S mk2: (at 2 meters - add 9db to make it comparable to 1m)
FrequencySC8000 (1m)RSL 10S mk2 (added 9dB -> 1m)
20hz102db106db
25107.7db109db
31.5108.6db113.7db
40117.2db116.3db

Any questions?

Last edited:
everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
here are SC8k measurements (at 1 meter)
here are RSL 10S mk2: (at 2 meters - add 9db to make it comparable to 1m)
FrequencySC8000RSL 10S mk2
20hz102db106db
25107.7db109db
31.5108.6db113.7db
40117.2db116.3db

Any questions?
The comments on the SC8000 should be enough to deter repair. The 40 to 60hz range sounds like a disaster audibly.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I would not spend any on a SC myself. What is the intended use? If you’re looking to spend that quantity of money I’d probably put it towards an RSL speedwoofer.
Edit: I see bedroom or office. Still wouldn’t fix the SC.

E

Eliut

Enthusiast
OK, I am convinced. I'll save up for a new sub. I hope the garbage truck can carry this out. I am also disposing of my Polk PSW1000 subwoofer!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
OK, I am convinced. I'll save up for a new sub. I hope the garbage truck can carry this out. I am also disposing of my Polk PSW1000 subwoofer!
Good choice(s)!!!!!

C

cgwmd

Audiophyte

The same thing happened to my subwoofer. I called Definitive Technology and ordered the replacement amplifier parts. I am pretty handy with electronics. The amplifier connections are all coded so that you cannot make a mistake in replacing all the cable connections. After sneaking my hands into the tiny opening in the back to do this everything put together fine. Now the subwoofer is just as great as what I purchase it originally and it's probably not going to be able to be replaced by anything close.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis