Working on making things better!

M

Mac n cheese

Audiophyte
My first post!

I am seeking advice on where I should be spending my time and money. I have been slowly working on improving my system, and would greatly appreciate any advice and thoughts. Up until recently, I have been piecing things together from hand me downs. I am not trying to achieve a hifi audiophile sound, because I can not afford it. I currently have some limited speaker building and electronics skills, which I would love to improve and work on. The idea of building some of my own components is very appealing (and also overwhelming). A few months ago, I successfully put together a boombox based around the Sprite design, and I had a blast with the project.

Current system:
Room - living room with furniture, curtains, wall hangings. main wall = 14'6" side wall = 15'5"
Sources:
a)Project Debut Carbon DC
b)Raspberry Pi with RuneAudio running through Schiit Modi 2 Uber.
NAD 304 integrated amp
90s Advent floor-standing speakers (can update with exact model when I get home. But they are black with wooden tops and bottoms)

I feel confident in building things that I can buy in a kit. Speakers with a flat-pack or something like a amplifier with a PCB. I have spent a good bit of time reading about things, but I get pretty overwhelmed with the huge volume of often conflicting information available online. I feel like I should start with my speakers, and wouldn't mind moving to something a little smaller on stands. I feel like my room is not that big.

I do have the option to pick up some new KEF Q100 speakers for $300.00 from a friend. But I am not sure if that is the best idea.

Thanks in advance!

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
Some of the internet direct Chinese made speakers are less expensive than buying the parts to build your own. I use something called the EMP Impressions (now called RBH Impressions) series speakers. They are made in China and perform brilliantly for their price level. I don't think you could build them for the price you would spend to build them. There are others as well but I don't have experience with any of the others so I can't comment. Your speakers are the weak spot in your system as they are for most systems including mine.

M

Mac n cheese

Audiophyte
Thanks for the recommendation, I will check them out.

I have trouble figuring what size speakers would fit my room. I feel like it's on a smaller size.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
As long as you implement a subwoofer (and you should) the size of the speakers isn't all that important.

M

Mac n cheese

Audiophyte
Would it make the most sense to start looking into subwoofers now, and upgrade the speakers after I have a subwoofer?

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
Subwoofers provide more impact on the sound of your system than the rest of the system combined. Yes, the subwoofer is your next addition.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
That's a pretty good price on a pair of Q100's, and a good start because eventually they'd become your surround speakers. Your room is not nearly as small as what others have to deal with, and you could easily go with a small floorstanding or medium-large stand mount speakers without overwhelming the room (or you.) Get the Q100 now, add Q500 or Q700 later, and a matching Q200C for center.

What's your budget? A decent sub bought new can be had for around $500 (SVS SB1000), or build one for under $200. Yeah, you apparently have speakers so could start with the sub if you don't have one.

M

Mac n cheese

Audiophyte
Thanks everyone.

I don't see myself ever moving past stereo. While my tv is hooked up through my DAC, all things video are an afterthought.

M

Mac n cheese

Audiophyte
Decision time on the KEFs is coming in a couple days, and I still don't know what to do!!

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
The deal on the Q100s is OK, but not a steal. I'd pass and consider adding the subwoofer first. If you really feel passionate about DIY speakers I think you should pursue that route.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
What is your budget?

Since you're comfortable with DYI and want to stick with stereo setup, the Parts Express Tritrix kit will be my recommendation.

http://www.parts-express.com/parts-express-tritrix-mtm-tl-speaker-components-and-cabinet-kit-pair--300-702
Nice suggestion!
He didn't state budget, but via the kef's indicated $300 was fair game.
Looking at his other gear, it would make sense to put more into speakers if possible. What would be the next step (or 2) up?

M

Mac n cheese

Audiophyte
So I decided to pass on the KEFs, and take a little more time to learn about speakers. I think I have settled on going for a used set of speakers, and I am looking to spend around $300 (+/- 150). Looking at both ebay and audiogon, it seems like I can pick up a pretty decent set of stand mount speakers for that amount. I am having some trouble sorting through available speakers to determine what will be a good match for my NAD 304. From my understanding, I will want an efficient speaker, but I am not exactly sure what efficient means when it comes to the speakers specs.

Thanks!

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
I can recommend the RBH R5Bi in your price range. I have a pair of them (Emptek) for my computer audio. Add a subwoofer and it is a very satisfying sound.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
So I decided to pass on the KEFs, and take a little more time to learn about speakers.
Good idea. Only impulse buy when you're getting a smoking deal.

I think I have settled on going for a used set of speakers, and I am looking to spend around $300 (+/- 150).
Not a bad budget. You can get some very good standmount speakers used for that price. I got my Boston Acoustics VR-M50s for less than that and they're fantastic little speakers.

Looking at both ebay and audiogon, it seems like I can pick up a pretty decent set of stand mount speakers for that amount. I am having some trouble sorting through available speakers to determine what will be a good match for my NAD 304. From my understanding, I will want an efficient speaker, but I am not exactly sure what efficient means when it comes to the speakers specs.
Efficiency ratings look like this - 87dB @ 1w/1m. This means that with white or pink noise input & a wattage of 1 watt measured from 1 meter the speaker measures 87 decibels of output. For every 3 decibel increase output the input wattage must be doubled (90dB - 2 watts, 93dB - 4 watts, 96dB - 8 watts, etc etc...). Unless you like to listen to music really really loud you need not concern yourself too much with speaker efficiency. As long as you keep it above 85dB 1w/1m you should be fine. If you do listen loud you probably should look for a speaker that has 95dB 1w/1m or higher, or get a more powerful amplifier.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis